1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

big ling on sea spray

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by seajay, Sep 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. seajay

seajay New Member

Well here goes on my ling report for you.
    As some of you may be aware my ling quest and festival quests have been many and one day that i will remember in perticular for a long time is during the summer festival i had bought a new fladen green boat rod from whitby angling
    and adjusted my clutch to tight on my reel (something i check now),dropped down and bang in to something that pulled my rod down so hard that it snapped my rod right at the butt joint using 80lb braid and me left trying to explaining that it was not a snag and that the boat isn't moving that fast i cant' let line out but malcom was stood next to me and as witnessed said good fish lost simon and lent me his rod to try and make my enthusasm come back to full strength but on that day i was left empty even contemplating writing it on the forum that night but nobody wants me crying about it on here so i decided not to. Meanwhile the same wreck had my son over with a very good fish lost and we have been back to that mark but not had any luck even listening to malcom say that the middle double fish we have had are not the one thats smashing us. A phone call from malcom confirmed that it was time to try for the ling that done me over me needing no second offer i was there.
    This is how the day panned out.
    Myself and carl my mate went out from whitby aboard Sea Spray with malcom pitman. With only 5 of us on board the crack was superb with the two john's as it is usually , the little one been a bit gay asking for my phone number and asking me to show him how to dig lug all the time (sorry little john) .We started catching lots of makerel and herring with a good close record boat fish(herring)coming to the hand of big john at over a pound which we put in a seperate box to be weighed on dry land then after catching our ling baits we headed off to the mark with the tide dropping off very nicely been comunicated by our skipper malcom. Once we were on the mark we had a couple of drifts over it and bang my rod bent double and the reel started paying out a bit of line with some holding to be done i proceeded to stop the fish only to be winding my reel but no line coming back while meanwhile my heart is pumping like a petrol pump attendant the clutch was tightened a little and the long haul was begun it even stopped me winding a few times on the way up then she surfaced and all of us had to do a little bit of team work to continue with the fish capture filming (thanks lads) i can only tell you that i had to have a rest after it because the adrenalin nearly put me in shock .Mal is still convinced that a bigger fish exists and so do i the 28 pounder i caught had nothing in it and no battle scars the one i am after has still got my wire trace around its face and 2 8/0 in its gob dragging my fladen green behind it. Have a look at the some of the films we made on Sea Spray this year i have broke my personal best 3 times this year with malcom (thanks guvnor you have made my year).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXXnWP2fRkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S52PpTfcEo The fish was weighed at sea @28 and a bit and then in whitby angling @26lb i tried to put it in some water but the biggest bucket was not big enough.
    hope you like it lads. We went out for shark last week only to get one on it ran for a good 100 yards then dropped the makerel we had on now that was some adrenalin getting your harness on with the reel sreaming so we will be back out this week coming to try and get one (wait til you see the footage cos i'm getting in) bye for now.

2. Antony

Antony New Member

Cracking report mate,hope i get one tomorrow on shy-torque.Bet that gave you a brilliant scrap,well done mate :happy: :happy:

3. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Great fish -well done seajay. Noticed the big croc hadn't blown it's swim bladder so must have been in relatively shallow water, probs 90ft or less?

wildcard

4. IanB

IanB Blenny

Cracking fish and great report Seajay, I bet you will remember that forever

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one seajay, loved the bit when you hugged it like it was your dog, could'nt tell by your voice you were buzzing like you had just won the lotto like :cheesy:

6. woody

woody New Member

nice fish mate good report n vid :happy: :happy:

7. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Fish like these don't get caught by accident. Some reckon to catch a fish like this is just the luck of the draw and you just have to be in the right place at the right time - which is just wishful thinking on the part of the angler who didn't catch it. In fact it's a combination of angler and skipper skills and knowledge and there is very little luck involved in my opinion.

Your skipper knew exactly the tide and time to fish for these big ling, and you knew the tactics and presentation.

wildcard

8. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done mate, nice fish

9. seajay

seajay New Member

Cheers lads i am just starting to sleep properly now its something thats etched in my memory for a long time .

regards

Si. :happy:

10. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Well done.I,ve only got 30lb braid on at the moment so any bigger and i,m in bother.

Mick.