1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Hauls Of Bass For Local Trawlers At Scarborough And Whitby

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Was told there was some big hauls of bass landed at Scarborough yesterday with some fish into double figures. Is anyone on the site able to get any photos of the landings as I would love to see them.

2. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Re: Big Hauls Of Bass For Local Trawlers

they got loads in jan last year too i think they shoal up to spawn

3. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Yep, it's for the next 3 or 4 weeks isn't it? Wonder how far off they're getting them?

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

surely if its a known fact that the bass are now spawning or gathering to spawn ,why doesnt the env agency put a ban on fishing or landing them ,its a surefire way to depleat the stocks if they target the fish when grouped to spawn ,it doesnt take much inteligence to realise what the end result will be,its just seems like after all the talk about preserving fish its madness to allow this to go on ,let the fish breed in safety and the fishery will improve for all not just those out for the quick buck.
    frank.

5. Baramundi Bob

The env agency control fresh water Rivers. The inshore sea waters are controlled by the IFCAS. Your local IFCA just passed a byelaw to encourage inshore bass netting.

6. frank avey

whoever controls it they are not looking to the future of fishing be it anglers or commercial allowing this to happen is madness,its like a farmer shooting his bulls just before his cows come into season,it just wouldnt happen ,they have more sense.

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

it seems madness to me also Frank , as you said the quick buck

8. Baramundi Bob

So, did you both write to NESFC to object to the proposal ? It was well publicised through this site.

9. frank avey

emailed margret branson at defra with my opinion,very politely ,didnt get a reply but wasnt surprised.

10. Baramundi Bob

Nice one mate. I would suggest you also let David Mccandless know your thoughts, hes a decent guy who will listen and acknowledge what you have to say, even though he may not change his mind.

11. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

trawlers were hammering the bass this time last year they no they will be spawning so they are easier to target there not bothered if they are spawning all they can see is pound signs they won't be happy till they wipe them out then they will be crying there's no fish to catch and about quotas they only will have themselves to blame

12. Baramundi Bob

Think Bass are a non quota species.

13. i have to agree catching spawning fish seems madness to me.

14. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Your right Glenn I think they are but trawlers will hammer them and then they will start moaning when the stocks start depleating and then it will be we should have looked after the bass stocks they don't think about tomorrow just today they must be stupid taking spawning fish all they see is pound signs

15. mop the hoople

mop the hoople Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Do the Bass migrate from the rocky areas inside,move out onto the soft to spawn?or do the trawlers use a different method to catch them.Meaning less loses of gear etc if they creep inside for the local bass & leave snags etc to hinder the sea bottom environment etc.
    If the bass do migrate for spawning purposes & are massed in certain areas, they will be decimated & end the local areas stocks.
    In the early days of Bass fishing, the same decimation happened & If my memory serves me well the bass clubs tried to get bass recognised as game fish ensuring parity with salmon,etc regarding close season for spawning.

16. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

The Bass are not being specifically targeted they are bycatch, Glen is right they are not quota ed up here, define big hauls !!
    I don't agree with these catches but once they are caught its better they are landed rather than chucked back into the sea dead and good for f#ck all

17. Baramundi Bob

I was gonna say what Les said. The bass aren't specifically targeted, they are a bye catch from the white fish trawlers and are caught nearer the surface as the nets are hauled. I guess the extra money comes in handy to them but its isnt a targeted fishery for the trawlers in this region.

18. newdave

newdave Guest

whilst it is a bycatch, I was told that they rig the nets for bass at this time of year by extending the headline so it fishes higher in the water column. Its a shame for our sport, but if we were reliant on what we caught to pay the mortgage & put food on the table we would all do the same.

19. Baramundi Bob

No doubt about it Dave. Im just thankful that the fishery at the moment is short lived (Usually for about 3-6 weeks each winter). If they could figure out how to trawl bass at other times of year we would be shafted.

20. littlecod

littlecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

them Lads r out ther to make a wage not for the fresh sea air. Even if the bass wereld protected with a quota the crew still hav to trawl for a wage if the bass are in tows direction ther getting caught.Then all that expensive fish gets chucked over dead!
    When someone sees a box of rockling shall we all get teary eyed and start saved our rocklins campaign . Grow up its not thae fishermans fault its the governments.