1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Cod at Runswick Bay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Woodys Dad, Feb 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

I caught this beauty at Runswick Bay this morning at 02.30 . I havent weighed it yet , but I know it will beat my personal best . :cheesy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to fish the high tide early this morning ( 02.30 ) So after a couple of hours sleep I started fishing Runswick at 11.00 p.m Saturday night . The conditions looked good , the sea was raging on the flood
    it was bitterly cold but with very little wind .

2. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

( I think I pressed the wrong button , I ' ll carry on !!!!!!!!!!! )
    I had a nightmare start . First cast straight into weed , I lost my gear . Second try I lost it on the cast . So I tackled and baited up for the third time in ten minutes and tried again . First to come out was a small rockling ( this raised my spirits as I have caught cod before after catching Rockling first ) . At about 01.00 I got a good bite struck into it and became almst instantly snagged . I could feel a fish on the end but try as I might I could not get it to move , of course the line snapped .
    At about 01.45 the same again a goodbite then snagged , the line broke and I reeled it in to find the trace had snapped at the swivel .
    Then at 02.30 I baited up with 2 frozen lugworm and got another bite , and this time I can feel the fish moving , I kept reeling and knew it was a decent fish as it did not break the surface , after a minor panic I managed to land it . The funny thing is that it had the remains of my last trace in its mouth , so really I caught the fish twice .
    I fished on until 05.00 but never got another bite . I am still buzzing and am too excited to go to bed . I'll let you know how much it weighs when I get it Weighed .
    I am needless to say totally Chuffed . :happy: :cheesy: :happy:

3. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done mate, nice fish there

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cracking fish mate. Well done and here's to more of them.

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

welll done mate, nice fish

6. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Nice one mate well worth the cold.

7. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

cracking fish razor.... cant beat that buzz!

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well Done fella.. :cool: Fortune favours the brave.. :yes:

9. Tight lines

Tight lines New Member

Well done, thats more than i and a lot of others had out of Runswick last night :sad:

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done on your new PB shore caught cod :wink:

11. awesome mate. beatiful looking fish

12. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done mate nice fish

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice one razor fish ..... :happy:

14. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

I have weighed the fish and it was 8 pounds dead on , more than doubling my personal best . Interestingly enough it had eaten a whole squid and a small fish amongst other things : ( sorry about the focus on the picture )

[​IMG]

Half of it is in the freezer and the other half is been made into fishcakes ( and the cat thinks I am a god ) :canadian:
    Shame there was nobody about last night to share the moment , however posting the topic on here and receiving your much appreciated feedback more than makes up for it . :happy:

So heres to the best forum and forum members around . Tight Lines everyone :wink:

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

Very well done Razorfish,it's always a buzz when you break your PB... :happy: tight lines :happy:

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice fish mate, well done. Wonder what it would have weighed when you caught it ?

17. Woodys Dad

Woodys Dad New Member

Does it make a lot of difference if the fish is weighed straight away ? If so I must invest in a reliable set of scales ( so I am more prepared for the next one ) :happy: :wink:

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

We had one in the angling festival. The guy weighed it twice and it lost about 8 oz in 30 minutes.