1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best smock style waterproof to buy recomendations please.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by fileybrigg, Sep 24, 2013.

1. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Im looking to buy a good smock style waterproof for this winters fishing.
    Ive had a titan one now for the last 5 years and it has very good and im tempted to buy another titan.
    Any recomendations fellow anglers must be lined inside and have a decent size hood :)

Useful Links :

Lots Of Info On Smocks Etc

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5868.0

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31391.0

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28177.0

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

I have the vass breathable light weight smock and its very waterproof and wind proof too. They have brought out a more heavy duty lined version too but the one I have I just wear a fleece underneath and it does the job.My only criticism is the lack of hand warmer pockets.

3. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would second this about the vass, I miss no pockets that I can put my hands in, I'm also not sure it's warm enough for seriously cold conditions, after a very cold wet session on Whitby west I decided to get an IMAX thermosuit. For me the vass is great for a bit of roaming during moderate conditions but not when really exposed… just my opinion though, I do love it for what it is though :)

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I also have th le Vass

I was speaking to the boss at vass yesterday in the shop and mentioned about having no pockets and he said its because wear the seam of the pocket attaches to the smock would eventually become a weak spot and possibly tear. This means they couldn't stand by their 100% waterproof guarantee

5. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Really? That's interesting.Something that needs looking into,surely there must be a way? I thought it might have been that the pockets would fill with water

6. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Cheers lads just had a look at the vass smocks they look a smart bit of kit but they look more like my mustard waterproof i use in the summer months.
    Any more recomendations lads ?

7. MandolinBanjo

I love my IMAX jacket and found it more comfy than a sundridge smock I tried, not sure what the IMAX smocks are like

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I dont have the Vass, but if I was buying, I would buy Vass. One thing for sure, it will be waterproof.

9. Baramundi Bob

Is there any on ebay ? does anyone have any links ??

10. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Try www.vass-uk.com

11. MandolinBanjo

http://www.vassrainwear.co.uk/waders-fishing-waterproofs-c-37.html

I've got a tiny hole near the front pocket that I must have got caught at some point, you can only see it when held against the light but in severe rain does leak, may need a similar repair approach as I guess with waders

12. ste muir

ste muir New Member

They really are top notch and despite the thin flimsy look they are surprisingly warm.I got mine for last winter and for the most part only wore a fleece and a thin layer or two underneath

13. Baramundi Bob

14. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

All our vass stock should be available from tomorrow or Thursday

15. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

The vass tex 350 heavy duty new edition in the blue colour is £64.95 on ebay im getting tempted ;D

16. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Thats good to hear Dan im coming up to Whitby next wednesday will you be working.

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Yes mate 9 till 5

18. bow1

bow1 Rockling

afta takng advice from big cliff,alan,today i recieved a guy cotten chinook coat.looks the muts nuts!!!!

not lined thogh you layer up underneath and cant see any water getting in.neoprene xuffs stop water rynning up ur arm which was a weak spot with titan.

i agree with no pockets but ill jst carry less crap!!dont need handwarmers get neoprene fingerless gloves lads.hands can be soaking and warm as toast!!!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

19. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have 3 smocks/jckts that i wear,
    Summer/mild conditions -vass-
    Winter -greys appollo xtreme smock-
    Hardcore weather-sundridge mk7 jckt-
    For most of my winter fishing i use the greys smock,in hvy rain r prone to leakage,The sas jckts keep u warm & dry no matter wot the weather does.
    The vass keeps the rain out no matter how hard it comes dwn !!,prone to sweating if walking any distance,& i miss having no where to put me hands.
    Hope this of sum help.
    Ps would be good if vass did a bit bigger sizes as i find theres not a lot of room 4 clothing underneath.
    Cheers bigsi ;)

20. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I also have the lightweight Vass smock, the grey one. Lightweight and surprisingly warm, certainly waterproof and if buying for winter use I'd go up two sizes to allow for layers underneath. I bought two from North East tackle supplies, 55 quid each, and great friendly service it was too.
    Ozzzy