1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Tackle Best Rods For Fishing With Braid ??? Whats Your Thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Sep 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Threads are constantly made about which reels people use regarding the 'braid' setup, but hardly any on the different rods people use and why.

I currently use a 16ft affinity twin tip and absolutely love it. It's so easy to use and has helped me gain accuracy not distance over the past few years.

However last year I knackered my shoulder skiing and I'm finding it harder and harder to swing a long rod to cast. It feels very heavy now and I'm in agony for days after.

I'm now looking at a shorter, lighter rod possibly 14ft fairly through actioned at least to the middle of the rod anyway with a fairly stiff butt.

A lot of the zippy hi flexes have caught my eye and I'm seeing lads are scaling there rods down to this size now more and more.

Are there any recommendations out there?

The m427 hi flex seems to be popular with a few of the whitby and scarborough lads. Also the new century eliminator range but can't even imagine parting with 600 notes for a century.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

You need to get that shoulder sorted kid. I found that exercise really helped mine. get some advice from your GP or a Physio. But if its damaged and week its gonna hurt like folk.

3. robq

robq Rockling

I think glenns right Dan, you really do need to get it sorted

I have had a frozen shoulder for over 3 years now and I still cannot backcast:(

Thankfully it doesnt affect my pendulum fishing cast.

As regards rods I've always maintained that braid outfits are just as effective with traditional rods, however I prefer something a little softer than beasty rock rods, like something you would use for distance work on sand.

My favs are afaw 13ft beach rod and the original rock rod which has a softish butt and is easy to cast.

4. limpet

limpet Blenny

I started down the braid route with a 16ft triplex and although I enjoy using it, it has its limitations at times.
    After a bit of searching I found an afaw big beach mk2 14ft to be spot on with braid .... slim light blank, smooth caster with loads of power but not overly stiff. a very forgiving and easy rod to cast.... Well worth a look if you can get your hands on one, I also use a Harrison Torrix p3 a bit more lively and a bit stiffer and heavier in the butt than the big beach but another good rod with braid I find

5. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Dan I use a 14ft Greys Apollo Extreme, wouldn't swap it for anything else. Its works really well for me, as I use a Multiplier with braid.
    Cheers Col.

6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fox chalange beach 13ft in vvgc with reducer 40 pound

any good to try if downsizing ?

noticed it in classified

7. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

@crabadabado

Hi col we have those in the shop. Far too stiff for me mate. The greys apollo distance looks like a nice piece of kit

8. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Try one Dan you will be surprised, they are not as stiff as they feel.
    Cheers Col.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Silver Fox

Silver Fox New Member

I'm using a greys nitra now after using a long rod for a few years. I prefer it as I feel it has the power needed to get better fish out of the rough stuff

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Personally use a century Excalibur c curve with braid. Don't like long rods in the rough. Pretty much everything you have described. Like it so much I bought a second one. Just under 14ft, but deffo not a traditional rock rod. Mixed ground rod with mono. C curve action but used it everywhere from cliffs to kelp of Northumberland. Great bite detection. Has been cast 300 on the field in the right hands in casting comps. If you look around you can pick them up for around £200 now second hand if your lucky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

^
    A good suggestion.
    C Curve feels like Kompressor S in the cast, but recovery is lightning.
    A very nice stick.

12. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

In my mind i beleive there is not such a rod for rock, braid and fixed spool that is spot on,we all seem to to use 16 ft rods that yes can be good on the day but pulling cod through kelp mmmm,or we use 13_14ft rods that are set up for multi and are overly stiff,I use a afaw rock and to be honest its a tad stiff for braid,I think if the 15ft k2 was 10 - 20% stiffer in the butt to mid section it would be spot on all rounder,but then maybe I need try some rods
    Jason

13. mardenq

mardenq Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ive got a t900 and use it with spinfisher down and braid,very nice rod,ive just bought a c curve off here to try,sure it will be good after reading boro 5707 post