1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best fish and chips in whitby?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by maxwell, May 11, 2010.

1. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hadleys for me spot on

2. robert123

robert123 Blenny

Silver Street, is Streets ahead of the rest.
    Try the Haddock.

3. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

magpie :hungry: roll on june i'll have some of that

4. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm with the Silver Street voters here.
    Fish on par with the big hitters and chips that are just lovely.

5. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

avoid the magpie as all there chips are frozen then thored out on the day of sale.

6. Groyne

Groyne Guest

The one at the back of Boyes, Fruscos I think it's called. :yes:

7. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,

I've just been watching "Saturday Kitchen", (rock and roll lifestyle me lads), and the guy that hosts it, James Martin, was talking about how he was a massive fan of fish and chips and that for the best fish and chips you had to go to Whitby :yes:

In particular he mentioned that "Trenchers" was his favourite fish and chip shop, what do you lads reckon?

I love coming to Whitby but haven't tried this place. I think that me and Julie will try it on our next look down if you lads give it the thumbs up.

(I am now watching "The Delicious Miss Dahl" and then I may sort out my stamp collection or go train spotting.)

Regards Ian

8. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

havent been there in years, about 15 i think, last time i ate there fish and chips twice with a slice of bread and butter and mug of tea was around 20 quid! most of the lads have the same opinion, mr chips, fuscos or if im in the boat yard, sackys, he does nice chips at sackys done in drippin . . . .

9. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

this^^
    its just down the road from me and Ive always been pleased with their food, as said its always cooked fresh but best avoided during school luch break as all the local kids swarm it between about 12:30 and 1:30pm and you'll have a long wait

10. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

and you can normaly get parked. but dont go on the double yellows because the man that can will stick a ticket on your car he gets up there as well.

11. sheep

sheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Silver Street or the one past rods and reels, not next door but right down that road at the bottom or the hill, opposite the big boat yard made of scaffolding!

My mate literally lives on chip shop food and he agrees!

12. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

got a takeaway cod and chips from the magpie last monday night (7pm- unbeliveably the only place open at that time) and i would say that the price wasn't the only dissapointment-there are several places which i've found in whitby that are far better tasting and better value for money

13. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I first went to Hadley's thirty five years ago. It was great then and it's great now. To be honest, unless it's been regurgitated, I really can't tell one from another - in other words, the fish and chips in Whtters are all generally very fine indeed. But Hadley's beats the Magpie on a) price, b) elbow room and c) the lack of a certain ponsiness that comes from having been reccomended by Egon Ronay, Rick Stein etc.

Steve.

14. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I had Riverside last week (the one year thr boat yard as mentioned above), the batter was chewy, the fish has been laid for ages............horrible!!!!!!!!

15. pmac

pmac Blenny

silver street still :yes:

16. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i no 1 its not in whitby but its been awarded the best chippy in cleveland steve pearsons fish shop liverton mines its beautfull

17. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

If thats the one which was voted the best in town for 2010 by the Whitby Gazette readers, then i agree with you Phil. We went there when in town, 3 weeks ago, and it was the worst piece of Cod (totally dried out) i've had in Whitby in the last 10 years. And we have tried 6-7 different fish shops over the years.

18. rizla

rizla Blenny

it must be six years since i've been there,great fish and chips. if i remember they used individual timers when they put your fish into fry. there's a little place near the entrance to saltburn pier,it has a couple of tables outside. i've only had chips from there,but they were excellent. they had a decent fish menu too.

19. ibuprofenman

ibuprofenman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Resurrecting an old thread but thought I would give a big thumbs up to Silver Street Fisheries. I read above on this thread that some locals really rated so thought I would give it a try last Saturday evening given the massive queue for the Magpie. Well I am pleased to report what fantastic value this place is with jumbo size cod or haddock, chips and mushy peas costing just £5.90.

[​IMG]
    Silver Street Fisheries - Whitby by easistudio, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Haddock, chips and mushy peas. by easistudio, on Flickr

20. Jetty

Jetty New Member

liverton mines fisheries :yes: