1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best cod lures /shads to use

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by nottsman, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nottsman

nottsman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi everyone ,my first post,booked on a boat off whitby in a few weeks,any advice on what lures /shads to bring,colours ,sizes ,many thanks

2. Harlo from Darlo

Harlo from Darlo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A favourite of mine is a 5" rhubarb and custard side winder but I've known the 4" Berkeley shads fish well especially in blue/white.
    Just ask the skipper when you phone him the evening before and I'm sure he'll keep you right wether it is clear enough for shads or bait fishing.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on mate.

3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

rhu and custad always popular but best advice bring a selection and dont miss out

4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

I've asked this question before and I think the real answer is to have a good selection with you as what might work well on one day, on the next day something else might work better.
    If you have a good selection with you and use the same as what is doing well for other people on the day, then you can't go far wrong. Also make a note on how they are working the shad as well.
    I think personally, the action, shape, vibration and size of the lure / shad is the most important thing because at the depth that you're fishing, colour is filtered out anyway and is visible only in shades of grey.

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

One thing to remember at this time of the year baiting the shad can work very well with squid when clarity isn't quite right that squid head on the shad can be dynomite .

Paul

6. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

That's where i've been going wrong all these years Paul. I should have been using Dynomite!!!

7. nottsman

nottsman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

many thanks everyone for the advice,i will take a good selection as suggested,great replies ,ill let you know how i get on ,,,

8. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

blue n white ones outfished other type rhub/cust 2 day.

favourite "goldfish orange" best when talpies/squat lobster become target

feed for rock edge cod.

away again thurs so as water clears who knows ?

as paul said with this bit of colour inside until it settles squid/lug

taking 50/50 with shads.

9. Misso

Misso Blenny

Pink side winders 4 inch always worked well for me, only issue is you can't get them anywhere anymore

10. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You been managing to get a few early run outs in then?

11. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sure have bri,

guesting for a mate , as you know transom ongoing on ours.

water clarity a lot better, skinny/saltburn becks not adding to last weeks colour.

lot of "scratching" about prior to playground becoming "flagged" over by our

commercial friends.

hope to get later on thus/fri , nice out there but cold.

have to see how to-day /tomorrow effects colour.

1st yakker of the year launched of slip sun, passed on way to rock edge

would be nice if a member on here & report on day out.

12. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glass roll still here if you need it

13. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my favourite has been the the 4 " rattlebacks pink, but they have jumped in price this year:( but if anything can be said to be consistent it would have to be 4" rhubarb and custard sandeel. TSUNAMI TAZER among others But as some one told me recently sometimes its that good you can catch on a banana skin......o_O:D Hmmm might try it next time if it gets frantic;)

southend angling have pink sidewinders apparently? on ebay?