1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best braid for casting?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by michael76, Jun 17, 2010.

1. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

hi all,
    I know the winters a way off but im going to start using braid this year for shore fishing and haven't a clue what type,any suggestions would be great with regards to make,breaking strain, casting ability,do i need a shockleader? rather i didn't as i like to use the line straight through.

Regards Mick.

2. rabbi2

rabbi2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It might seem a bit OTT but I use 80lb Ron Thompson Cable Braid straight through for use with heavy leads
    Cheers
    keith

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

If you are fishing cleanish ground,30lb braid is about right,heavy ground either 40lb,50lb with a leader or 80lb straight through if big distance is not needed.Most lads use either berkley whiplash(which is very thin even by braid standards) or Power Pro,which is slightly thicker but better on abrasion... tight lines

4. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

if you follow the link on my signature to the braid site, you will find that the braid is supplied to the 'big boys' but retails here for half the price.

5. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

70lb powerpro nothing is as good dont let anyone tell you differant

6. robq

robq Rockling

Power pro is very good and a lot better than whiplash, but spider wire code red is thinner than power pro and better IMO :yes:

7. langy

langy Rockling

50lb power pro with 80lb shockleader ;)

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ventured down the baid route for some of my fishing last year after watching and pondering for two seasons.
    I have to say I was blown away by the braid at first but after a late summer into a long winter on braid I m not sure if I'll be using it this year.

The baids I tried were Power Pro....very nice braid but does seem to 'fluff' up after being for a while. Whiplash and Whiplash Crystal....not keen on them. The one I ve been happiest with is Spiderwire code red.....tried the standard spiderwire and it was crap but the code red stays very tight with almost a mono finish to it.

Plus it is available locally for me at East Coast Tackle for £16.00 for 300m.
    I tried just straight through but found it very harsh on the cast and that lead to increased ring wraps, plus if using it with wom baits and you hit the cast had the bait just explodes.

I ve used 80lb straight through for just a lob but otherwise I use a staged leader of about 8ft of 100lb braid to a mono leader with usual tuns on the spool. The reason for the stepped braid was I lost too many mono leaders by knots pulling through from the thin main line straight to mono.

9. strathy

strathy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You can use braid straight through but it pays to use a slower actioned rod and keep your casts smooth or you will whip worm baits off the hook.
    Don,t believe the manufacturers specs for braid dia. and bs. .
    Have a look at this site http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/ for accurate and independant info on line dia. and bs. and also good knot info.
    I use Berkley fireline radial braid both green and tracer for all my fishing now.

10. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

code red is not thinner than power pro code red is 0.38 on 65lb and power pro is 0.36 on 66lb and power pro is round wher as code red is a flat braid.

11. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

thanks people much appreciated for the info very helpful.happy fishing.

respect from mick.

12. Robocod

Robocod New Member

Spiderwire code red 300m is £22.99 in North Bay in Brid! What a rip off! Cheers Budgie....... :suspious: :hurt: :wounded:

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think we all have our favourites regarding line and braid and the sizes the manufacturers quote are often nowhere near as accurate as they should be.

Not quite accurate either, the stated diameter for the Spider stealth code red in 0.30mm dia stated breaking strain of 33.9kg (74.7lb) actually mics up at = 0.31mm when new off the spool
    Power pro in 50lb is stated as being 0.014" (0.35mm) but it mics up at =0.32mm when new off the spool.

Off the spool new both are round profiles, after use the code red remains a tight weave sligthly flattened the power pro weave loosens and becomes 'fluffy'

Like I say it's down to personal preference but if diameter to breaking strain is a consideration and you actually compared true measurements then the code red is a much thinner braid per pound breaking strain, price wise there is nothing in it with both being found for around £16-£17.

Here are a few photo's of the dia measurements, I used digital vernier calipers but these are as accurate as our clubs micrometer and easier to photograph.
    I think it's interesting how claimed diameters differ from actual diameters.

0.25mm Spider wire code red, claimed diameter in 22.9kg (50lb) actually mics up at 0.29mm still considerably thinner though than Power pro.
    [​IMG]

0.30mm Spider wire code red, claimed diameter in 33.9kg (74lb) actually mics up at 0.31mm, pound for pound a much thinner braid again.
    [​IMG]

After a seasons use to compare the 50lb Power Pro to 74lb Code red:
    The Code red after use has opened out to 0.34mm with only a very slight flat profile.
    [​IMG]

The Power Pro 50lb has also the same dia of 0.34mm with a rougher 'fluffed up' profile.
    [​IMG]

Both when wet and under tension have a smoother profile, so for me as first stated it comes down to thinner braid per pounds strength breaking strain and the actual measured diameters put code red out in front by a long way.

14. robq

robq Rockling

Cheers JW :happy:

I knew the 65lb code red was thinner than the 50lb just by looking and feeling it !!

Its nice to see the actual FACTS back this up :yes:

As I say I am not saying power pro is crap as its not nad I still have some that I will use and am very happy with. However once I have used it all up I will be sticking with spider wire code red.

15. Paulusvg

Paulusvg Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Guys
    A little info from down under.

The Spiderwire code red 50lb I measured is 0.379mm x 0.507mm, average diam 0.443mm, with a average test breaking strain of 59.66lb
    The Power pro varies from
    0.322 x 0.386, av 0.354mm with a bs of 42.02lb to
    0.315 x 0.425, av 0.370mm with a bs of 60.80lb just depends what they put on the spool, and where you buy it, a little more QA needed with this brand.

[​IMG]

This is how the diameter is tested, with a very low force digital indicator.

I keep a lot of information about braids on my site, also the testing, good info on how to spool up braid as it is critical.
    If you would like some line, braid or knots professionally tested i do it for free.
    Hope i have not trod on any toes here by putting this info up.

Paulus
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

I do not have the higher breaking strain braid maybe you can send 3mts in.