1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bempton Sea Fishing Marks?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by lipslicker, Sep 17, 2013.

1. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys,
    Well, nearly October and getting to Bempton time.
    This year I am determined to give it a crack, for the first time since about 18.
    Then I had a mediocre rod paired with a wonderful Abu 9000, and my line was down to nothing before my weight even hit the water. I reeled in and thought the nutters who fished it were just mad, and probably just attention seeking.
    The area around Thornwick and the lighthouse was about my limit.
    I have now taken my lunatic exams and am prepared to join the asylum by giving it another go, hopefully with the benefit of knowing what I am up against and coming equipped. Mid life crisis, and realisation that the seasons are slipping by without a good double in my bag!?
    This time, a TTR 14'11", with that old 9000 loaded with 66lb power pro. Or a Shimano Ultegra 14000, with same.
    I have still retained some degree of sanity, though, and will try to steer clear of coddled together ladders and ledges, or 45* angles of slippery grass to a sheer drop.
    So, marks - can I play it safe by fishing from the RSPB spot, and sticking behind their nice wooden fences?
    Or, is there a better spot? Where one can still cast and be relatively safe after lights out?
    I have heard chat about scaffolding poles and ropes at one spot. Is that a much more productive spot, or considered not really worth the extra risk?
    Birdash, for instance - where is the nearest parking spot for those ropes?
    Any pointers greeted with much appreciation

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Bempton marks?

Forget Birdash and any ropes mate, just park at the bird sanctuary, you can fish at the fenced off lookout perches but only in darkness, however you will have to climb over them if you hook a good fish, there are plenty of other flat platforms that are quite safe, you best bet is to go on a club night and you will see the headlights and fishing spots, which to be honest are all self evident, the magor factor at Bempton is wind direction, you can fish in any wind if it's light but any direction that is strong other than SW is impossible, if your after that double you may hook it but without a pole forget it! hope this helps a bit, Bempton is probably the safest place you can fish simple because you are quite aware of the danger, a bit like walking into the Millwall end in a Leeds top

3. lipslicker

Cheers, Quint.
    Is it a pointless exercise without a wheel on a long pole?
    Am I better off walking as far as possible from Reighton, which I am quite happy to do when plugging bass?
    Am I 'as good as' there, rather than RSPB.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The places you fish off the cliff tops are not accessible on the bottom, the water comes to the cliffs in most of the places. Birdash, roll up etc are all very different marks. Again if you want to learn the bottoms, go during the upcoming Scarborough Festival and watch. Its an hours walk over algea covered marbles.

5. robq

robq Rockling

If you think the clifftop fishing is hardcore the forget birdash or even rollup to be honest ! A totally different type of fishing and skillset really.

Some good advice given so far I would say :)

Loads of ledges all along the bird sanctuary, but plenty more south and North of the limits that will workacross high water. Go for a walk and you will easily see them. I dont even know the names of most of the marks aas they seem to to be ddisappearing into the mists of time :(

I always have half a dozen trips up there in october to get a few fish under my belt and because I enjoy a few sessions up there. However it soon gets boring up there and I soon long for a bit of rock under my feet :-\

6. lipslicker

On Birdash, can you not get all the way down to the bottom?
    If not, is there nt a mark there with ropes that you can get to sea level?
    I have a feeling that my urge to at least give Bempton a proper go has been declining throughout this thread.
    Think I will probably forego its charms, and the need for a wheeled pole, and stick to a rocky scar or a long walk from Reighton!

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes you can get down to the bottom at Birdash........It has to rank as the most intimidating access there is on this coast.......I ve abseiled straight off the top of Nth cheek at Castle Chambers rather than go down the Scarbro' crazy gang way and it was a walk in the park compared to Birdash ! I ve been down it but it isn t for me anymore ! Birdash has all the things you want to avoid, it has a 18" wide steep access with a sheer 150 drop off, to a rickety three section ladder that you have to do a step of faith onto, then a narrow ledge followed by three near vertical ropes down to the last 80 ft of near sheer scramble down !

Maybe falling under Bempton and snapping my ankle and having to haul myself back up 300ft of cliff has made me a bit more cautious in my old age ! Not to go where I can t get back up in an emergency :eek:

Roll up again is not a walk down....and in your first post you mention cobbled together ladders, ropes and ledges....all of those are present on the Bempton get downs....October is the time to do as Quint says....fish off tops.

If you ve not walked on from Reighton....then everyone should do it on e in there life....I ve done it four times.....I can t understand why I didn t learn after once !......never again..lol

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Worth a look :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=863.0

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=84

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28057.0

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1685.0

[​IMG]

9. lipslicker

Jellyworm, I'm with you. Not in a million!
    That is just nuts.
    If you told me there was a briefcase full of cash at the bottom I would be sending someone else.
    OMG.
    Probably OK with a mate and harness, but I'll stick to Cloughton and Kettleness.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Lol, the ladder is the easy bit as well........lol

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Ben ive a two section 20ft alloy pole and wheel not used in a few years but your welcome to borrow it in fact cross my palm with silver and you can take it away

12. lipslicker

Alain, you are kind. Thank you.
    Is is two 10' sections?
    By the way, have not forgotten about our field meeting!
    Ended up going to Scilly after Cornwall (good place for your boat. Let's of Blueys, and I dare say warmer than Orkneys!) and currently suffering from a bad lower back.
    As soon as the Voltorol starts to kick in proper, we will do some chucks. Mostly been lure fishing, so need to iron out any rustiness anyway.
    Hopefully next week.
    Ben

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Have a walk up there in daylight,all the well known shots will be easily visible and already well trampled (i'm talking about the bird sanctuary marks).
    We have pots under there and have been getting shores traces on the ropes since may believe it or not,hopefully nobody off this site :-\

14. Steve

Steve Rockling

lights up there last night smokes

15. lipslicker

Steve,
    Have you stolen Smokey's 'reputation points'?!!
    :)

16. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

Bempton is a ace spot to fish off the tops nice strait lifts and plenty of safe areas to fish off. Ive never been down either bird ash or roll up but it's something I want to do at some point in my fishing life.
    Before I started going off Bempton I was a bit intimidated by the area but after a few walks in day and night looking at the spots and seeing where others where fishing I had a good idea where to go. It's one off my favorite places now and have had many fish off the my biggest 5lb.

As said above get yourself up on a club night match and normally there's someone in every mark bird reserve side so will give u plenty off spots to try :)

Ben

17. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Thinking about giving it a go.

I have a 13ft Penn Extreme Villain rock rod - stiff as a broom handle - coupled with a Penn 535 with 35lb mono. Is this suitable?

I don't have any long poles with wheels on the end or any thing fancy for winching fish back up, just normal rock gear. Is this adequate?

Also how much line will I need on my reel?

Big question - how close to the edge is safe to stand for winding back in to clear the cliff sides?

BP

18. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

Your rod reel and line will be fine. I have a pole but don't always take it with me. As long as your knots ate strong u will be ok winching fish up but if u get a good fish u will struggle u will feel it come out off the water as normally u can't wind anymore it's just too heavy.

As for getting near the edge it's up to u really as close as u feel safe

Ben

19. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

OK - great - so how much line will I need to spool up with?

BP

20. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

Fill your 535 with 35lb and u shud be fine mate