1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEMPTON BIRD ASH Pictures - Filey Angling Festival North of England Codling Comp

Discussion in 'Smokeys Pictures' started by smokey, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: BEMPTON BIRD ASH Pictures - Filey Angling Festiva North of England Codling Match

bump

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

3. newdave

newdave Guest

with you there Dave, I have not even been to the top as i Know its not for me :no:
    we all have different demons in our head, I know i can swim but will never be able to fly.

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Flying is the easy bit Dave its the landing that usually causes the problems lol.

5. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

hats off to you lads who are confident enough to don the essential kit and do the decent of birdash .... its not for me but you have my total respect....
    keep it safe
    Paul

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That is one crazy climb for a bit of fishing :scare: i used to be a crane driver and would sooner climb a 150 feet tower crane than climb that ladder, how is it held to the cliff face :confused:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well after saying it wasn t for me I ve been down a coule of times now and the top bit is the easy bit for me. The bottom bit having been scoured out by heavy seas was the it that caused me problems, The old ropes and old pins for me are in dire need of replacing. I went all the way down to the last rope in a club match and decided that the ropes on the last pitch were not safe for solo single rope descending so went back up.

I think I ll be spending a few hours down there with Rob this summer sorting out some new double anchor points and decent ropes for the bottom bit.

Harry the ladder is mounted to angle irons that are well and truly driven into the cliff face. Mind you the wired together ladders do creek a bit when you are on them. I always use a 'fall arrest' device on a safety rope so that if they go I might dangle on the rope but I won't fall. Then it would be down to using the fig 8 descender to get down and a bloody long walk round after fishing !

The descent on the end of the north cheek at Robinhoods bay known by some as "The Scarborough Crazy Gang get down" for me is far worse than the Birdash one. The ladder section looks worse than it is and once down that the majority of the rest is just a handrailed scramble. The One on the end of RHB is a real hardcore descent where you have to step out into space with an overhang that has a stream running down it. That is after a loose scree sideways traverse on a scabby bit of rope and loose dodgy pins. Thankfully that one is not that easy to find, I much prefer the old descent just before the Sarb J wreck. You have a cut off to watch but it is just a straight 200ft abseil with no nasty overhangs.

here is a couple of pics of the crazy gang top section and a couple of the easier get down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I work at height...the highest being 320 foot..Redcar Blast furnace..although its off now...but there is no way on gods earth that i would go down those decents...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. robq

robq Rockling

I used to do a lot of rock climbing and steep scrambling when I was kid so I really enjoy this side of the sport :yes:

You cant beat the adrenilin plus you get to fish spots that nobody else ever does !!

I walked on under bempton yesterday and after slipping and sliding over miles of boulders I really think that birdash is a far safer option provided the correct safety equipment is used :yes: