1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bemmo Bonanza - Mop Attack !!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looked at the weather forecast, 5-7mph Northerly and decided that tonight was the night for our annual outing to Bempton Cliffs. I phoned Mike and we arranged to set off at 4.30 to get there just before dusk. The gruesome twosome agreed to join us later after they finished work.

When we arrived it was good to see an almost empty car park meaning most of the marks would be free for a spot of fishing. we headed through the bird sanctuary and followed the cliff top path North until we found Quint fishing in the dugout. Iain informed us of a couple of decent marks either side of him and we opted for a pirch just south of his location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First cast and the bites were instant, but it soon became apparent that we were being hit by the large shoal of coalies which appear to be present right across the region at the moment. As darkness came, the billets went off the feed, but it was to be almost 2 long hours and slack water before we saw our first codlings. we had by this point been joined by Dan and Damo.

[​IMG]

First into a fish was Mike, who pulled up a nice mop, then almost instantly my rod went along with the 2 others. Mikes fish was only a small mop, and not long after I pulled one in of a similar size somewhere between one and one and a half pounds in weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the 2 youngsters landed fish of a similar size. The action was then frantic and it was clear the mops were in full feeding mode. Mikes rod never stopped all night but his bite to catch ratio was not good. It got me wondering if the braid had something to do with it ? Some of the bites were fearce and on most cats he had at least 3 bites but often wound in with no fish on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Through the next couple of hours I managed to winkle out five mops from far fewer bites than Mike. Damo took 3 as did Mike whilst I think Dan finished with 2, but the poor lad also lost a better one when his line parted at the top. The air was blue at that point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all another fun night. Nice to see a few other forum members up there, and would you believe that when we returned to the car all four tyres were fully inflated, which came as no great surprise to myself.

[​IMG]

2. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Sounds like you four had a great night, plenty of fish and plenty of laughs by the sound of things.

3. woody

woody New Member

well done glenn funny you should say about the bites mark had real good posative bites , as would be expected with the braid!n hit them , i on the otherhand had shit bites n missed m all lol just had odd knocks !!!!

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Them fish would be a match winner wouldnt they.
    Iread the match results in the gazette and they never sound very encourageing.
    Im not a match fisherman fished that big geordie match one year many years ago now . We fished Blackhall rocks in sunshine no wonder we blanked.
    Love a frosty night on one of the piers . Wheres all the whiting gone?

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lad :yes:

nice report and pictures glenn :yes:

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well done lads, seize the moment with the conditions for the cliffs being good. Pleased you had a good trip down and got into a few.

7. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1, Lads, was a well infuriating night, I was well pi..ed off in the end, managed 3 mops, dropped 2 off and missed shedloads of bites, was a difficult night with the forecasters getting the wind strenghth completely wrong, if that was 7-9mph Nly I'll show my arse in Sainsburys.............................

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice report Glenn and well done everyone. Some good fishing there lads :cool:

9. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done lads :yes:

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Top fishing lads, looks like you had a great night.. Great stuff.

Tightlines.

11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Cracking report Glenn, and a great bag of fish.

Do you think Mike's braid didn't have enough "give" in it for cliff fishing? I could imagine something with a bit more stretch would cushion some of the shocks as you haul fish up the cliff.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thanks for the kind comments lads. Bempton is a very enjoyable nights fishing. Very easy, just sit at the top of the cliff and cast out. With great company and a good nights fishing there are few finer things in life. Anyone interested in fishing there should do so quick as it starts to go off the boil in the next few weeks.

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Good report Glenn, glad you lot managed a few fish, interesting about the braid, same thing happened to me the other night, plenty of missed bites, but the week before I couldn't fail to connect

Your probably right biscuit, when winding fish up the cliffs on braid every knock is felt and you are on your nerves particularly when you have a good fish on when match fishing, that said when the fish are deeply hooked they aren't going anywhere, mono cushions all the knocks out and you tend to be more relaxed when winding up

14. robq

robq Rockling

Well done lads :cool:

Was going to have a go there myself yesterday but went off chasing fish reports from the day before !!

You live and learn :whatever:

15. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

mono cushions all the knocks out and you tend to be more relaxed when winding up :surprise:

i was puffing and panting winding a fish up last night. :hurt: relaxed - NO WAY. i think i need to start going to the gym

It was a really enjoyable night tho but i really dont envy you match lads that go on there week in week out

16. woody

woody New Member

it was a lot easier with a bank stick and a roller !!! , well only had one on half way up !

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Was alot easier than the week before using the bank stick, roller and the alvey......

18. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Good fishing there lads - I'm going to have to start getting myself up on the cliffs.

Anybody fancy a days guiding to get myself and Congerball started on the cliffs? Wouldn't know where to start. Willing to pay cash

19. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

Well done lads, Sounds like you had an enjoyable nights fishing

20. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Well done lads, cracking pics Glenn.