1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell Trophy NO COD Do changes need to be made?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Capt Caves Man, Feb 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well after fishing the Bell trobhy yesterday with 80 other anglers not a single cod was caught, do we need to make changes. I would welcome your ideas. Things possible, moving the match to earlier in the season but with the risk of clashing with other matches. Making the match longer say five or six hours. Opening boundries up but at the moment the marks in the current boundries are fairly even and acsessable to most.
    Also are there any other clubs interesred in entering the competition but bear in mind it must be open to all members of your club and not a selected team.

2. cps

cps Rockling

yes july

3. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

Weigh in seals.....

4. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

dont think there is anything wrong with the match ian apart from the entry fee could be a bit more £7.50 is not out of the way £2.50 h/f £2.50 h/b and £2.50 for the team win. 80 anglers is a good turn out for a match now,especially for those conditions we had and the time of year.4 hours is plenty long enough for this time of year imo
    years ago the winning team got to chose next years match,not sure if this still happens or not
    cheers bb

5. MFC

MFC Blenny

This match dates back to the early 1920"s and must be kept alive,nowt wrong with the match just a lack of fish this year !

6. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

There is always a lack of fish this time of year and this match, I think it's one of the hardest comps of the year I think it would be better if the time was changed for either earlier in the season or maybe march when we might get a spring run. It just makes it a more enjoyable match if people are getting fish or even confident of one because I think everyone was just going for a lucky one yesterday no one could of been confident of one yesterday but a different time in the season with the same conditions I'm sure there would of been fish

7. Capt Caves Man

Capt Caves Man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The winning team does still get to pick the date of next years match.
    Personally I like the format of the match just thought I would see if others were of the same opinion. Some years the match has been in January which probably better as far as fish are concerned with only the Ship inn and Amble Open to avoid. The conditions on Sunday with chop and no colour has never been good for catching fish. March can be better than Feb but not every year it can be worse. :cry:

8. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if there had been some sea on and colour there would of been a few fish about its just one of those things we cannot predict the conditions..

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Lack of mops this year doesnt help but january seems to be in better favour than febuary but every year is different its being a poor winter overall again with the lack of mops with the better fish i would say january would better being the cut off.

paul.

10. pikeman

pikeman Blenny

fellas,

does anybody have the results, so we can see what wasn,t caught

pikeman

11. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

I would agree that there isn't anything wrong with the current format and the fact that it attracted 80 anglers would seem to back this up. I would be careful with increasing the entry fee and sweep money by too much as this may actually put people off. Part of the appeal (and success) of this competition is that you are representing your club and the cash is secondary. There are plenty of big money matches out there for those who want to win money.
    The winning team does still get to choose the date of next years match.

I agree that we need to respect the history and tradition of this match as that is what makes it what it is.

Fishing the match earlier in the year if tides and free weekends allow is the only change I would make but I would still fish it after Christmas when the majority of open matches have been fished. Although I agree March may produce a spring run it is possible that if Feb has been a poor month some anglers may have put there gear away for the summer and this may affect numbers.

12. pat cottam

pat cottam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Whitby Gazette was the only place i could find the results.
    Regards

13. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

fileys b team won with average of 0-5-6
    filey a team and whitby joint 2nd with 0-2-4
    think cloughton were third
    fileys pete watson had heaviest bag 1-4-6
    whitby lad matty garbutt had heaviest fish ,billet 1-4-0

14. Kevin Thompson

Matty Garbutt

15. bassman

bassman Administrator

16. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

We fished our Police regionals at Sandsend about a week ago. 45 of us and 39 failed to catch a size fish. In fact there was no cod. I blanked as did most of the others and there were some very good match anglers fishing. Worse thing abut it there was a lovely sea running.
    Mick.

17. Kevin Thompson

1 -Filey B – 3.0.12 (Avg 0.5.4)
    2- Filey A and Whitby A - 2.4.4 (Avg 0.2.6)
    3- Cloughton - 0.5.4 ( Avg 0.0.8)
    Heaviest Bag- P Watson Filey A – 1.4.6
    Heaviest Fish- M Garbutt Whitby - 1.4.0

Cloughton & Scalby Mills Sweeps – A Crowe
    Whitby Sweeps - M Garbutt
    Filey Sweeps – Heaviest Fish M Fisher, Heaviest Bag P Watson

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Always was a difficult one for me to get motivated for. Only years I ever fished was when pushing for top spot in the club and frightened that a single fish would loose me the aggregate over the year. If I wasnt doing well in the club I would never fish this match. In all the years I fished it I think I only ever weighed in twice and only ever had one codling. Switching the match to the very begining of the club calendar would be the far best option for me. First Sunday in October or first Sun after Scarborough Festival would make it a far better match. The actual format is good, just the date is dreadful in my opinion. Would be interesting to see what other people have caught in this match ? Best bags and most fish ??