1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners NZ fly fishing with Pics

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by MCP, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MCP

MCP Blenny

After 30+ years of not fly fishing and a brief trial at Crosscliffe lakes near Scarborough not catching anything, myself and my partner decided to take up the challenge and fly over the Tasman sea to NZ last month. I had fished enough to get some bad habits, Charmaine had never cast a fly in her life probably a better start. We flew to Auckland on an Emirates A380 which gave us 30kg baggage allowance.
    [​IMG]
    We then hired a car and drove for 4 hours picking up supplies on the way and stayed at Lake Aniwheua Lodge East of Rotorua. We hired a guide the first day to basically teach us how to fish. Graeme was a very patient man.
    Lake Aniwheua
    [​IMG]
    We fished one of the smaller rivers and because Chamaine had no bad habits (at fishing) she soon got the idea and caught the first with Graham netting it, [​IMG]
    a nice little Rainbow.
    Graham and Charmaine.
    [​IMG]
    It took me the rest of the day after Charmaine had caught 5 trout to finally catch one, a nice Rainbow about 3lbs.[​IMG]
    Over the next few days we caught a few trout and did some sight seeing and also went back to old habits and flicked a few lures and caught both browns and rainbows but I kept going back to a big old wily trout that sat about 5lb that sat in the shallows chasing my lures but after 2 days of trying I gave in!
    [​IMG]
    A nice little brown out of the river.
    [​IMG]
    Back fly fishing on the lake.
    [​IMG]We fished the lake and had a few fish up to 3lbs or so but lost one of about 5lbs on fly in the shallows after about 10 minutes on the last cast of the last day of the trip
    [​IMG]
    Another river, very fast flowing but with big trout
    [​IMG].
    We travelled home after a week and look forward to making another trip now we have half an idea on how to catch fish on Fly rather than lures which we have done many times before. Saw a funny boat for the Yak fishers as well!
    [​IMG]
    Saw an old Geiser on the way home at Rotorua.
    [​IMG].
    Not sure which one is the old Geezer!
    Overall we caught more on fly, despite being experienced lure fishers-some of the rivers run very fast and are better fished with lures, we had a lot of enjoyment and will return. In total we had about 25 fish in 4 days fishing- not too bad for learners. However next year Scotland in July is an option, either that or I still haven't had a Yorkshire Bass.
    The lodge we stayed at has changed hands the day we left so I cannot say what it is like now but it did also offer Deer, pig and possum shooting for those who are interested when Graham was the guide. Fishing licences are about NZ$120 for most of NZ for 12 months or $20 a day. The were no additional fees to fish the lakes or rivers.
    Enjoy the Northern winter
    Tight Lines,

MicK and Charmaine

2. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good report,

remember a few years ago a programme on fly fishing channel 4? based in NZ

They were fishing a virgin lake, fed from a stream , trout to 11 lb were taken

looks a great place to get about & fish.

the yak looks like a twin hulled job, wonder if its the way forward for extra storage

without an out rigger, or for two to use as a better fishing platform when conditions

suit at sea?

thanks for brightening up the cold days back here!

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Looks very nice, love the pics and good write up.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Looks wonderful- I really must visit there one day.
    The quality of the fish is amazing.