1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Bassy' Earns His Wings

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Aug 2, 2010.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ok blowing my own trumpet here, but paddling partner Spawneydave is celebrating his birthday this evening so may be a while. :cheesy:

Yesterday we had a play in the kayaks, I have just taken possession of a new sea kayak and Dave was intent on going fishing so I accompanied him in his Dorado while I paddled the new Valley Nordkapp, not really suitable for fishing as its so damn narrow and it took me a while to gain enough confidence to actually put the paddle down buts needs must.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it was there was quite a bit of swell on too which made it interesting over the shallower scarrs.

[​IMG]

Well long story short we eventually found some bass and Dave actually found some good pollock too

[​IMG]

I came in close and started to catch a few fish up to 2lb which was great fun.

[​IMG]

We eventually came in and had a break on the scarrs and while doing so chucked a few lures around.

[​IMG]

Suprisingly there was fish very close in and we both bagged a couple

[​IMG]

Down to the main story.....We decided to go back this evening minus the kayaks, Dave, Marion and myself..........and what bloody great fun. I was fishing with a Shimano 5000 baitrunner and a 13ft Shimano Stradic medium heavy feeder with the tip cut back, good gear that I have caught big barbel, chub and carp on in the past.

Both of us had fish, lots of near misses, loads of swirls around plugs and poppers and then for me the best scrap I've had a in a very long time resulting in a new PB bass of 5lb 14oz, ok not quite 6lb but hell most definately the best fish of my summer so far. The fish was hooked 6ft from my feet and tore off so damn quick I had to flick the bail arm and feather the spool just to give line quick enough, mental stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have suddenly become very aware of the attraction of shore fishing for bass, what amazing fun, seeking out those places the bigger fish may just be residing. I suddenly have just a few pieces of a big jigsaw puzzle in my possession, I really cannot wait to get out there and win just a few more pieces :cheesy: . To round the evening off and to toast Daves Birthday we went to the Seabirds for a damn good meal.

Ken

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well Done Ken and Dave and happy birthday Dave, well done on the bass aswell..

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Lovely report Ken and well done on a cracking Bass. Top fishing that man!

Love the new yak as well, I bet that thing really shifts through the water :yes:

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great fish Ken well done, yes the fight and take are amazing, much better than pollock in my opinion

Thought we've trained Dave better with the camera :whistle:

5. newdave

newdave Guest

Well done mate, I am glad you have not let the cat out of the bag regarding your new super lure, dont want to be responsible for Buzz ordering another batch :no:

just ordered mine :laugh:

thanks for a couple of great days, cant believe im 49 already :whistle:

6. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well done on the fish and a lovely report. Makes me feet itch to get out there.

And to think Dave is 49!! He looks so young in that kayak!! ;-)

(Happy birthday mate!)

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ken well done on the fish that new yak looks a fair bit of kit i must get out there and try for a bass sometime happy birthday dave tightlines Alain

8. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Well done ken and happy birthday dave I was shocked to see you there ken
    Cheers ian

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Some lovely bass about this year isnt there. Well done Ken. Has Buzz caught any this year ?

10. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great stuff

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done ken, beautiful fish.
    Did them new lures work you got from me the other day? Oh and happy birthday, not looking a day older than moley at 47.

12. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Ken, a quality bass is that..............And a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Dave 49 years young.....

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Lads , some canny fish for you , and a pb as well, nice one Ken :cool:

14. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

excellent stuff ken, looks like you've caught the bug now. watch that yak doesnt stay at home too much as i need you to take me tope fishing this summer :cheesy: well done mate

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

Excellent stuff again guys,you 2 are certainly hardcore :happy:
    That's a lovely looking bass as well ken well done on the pb :wink: :happy: tight lines

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some great pics there guys , and well done Ken . lovely looking bass them mate .,...

17. baza

baza New Member

fantastic report and pictures ken and well done on your new pb. man im missing home and fishing.

18. robq

robq Rockling

Happy birthday Dave :yes:

Great report and pics as usual Ken :cool:

Its giving me itchy feet !! I cant get out much while the kids are off, as on childcare duties when not at work :whatever:

19. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Well done Ken, it just goes to prove that putting the time and effort in does reap rewards :yes: :yes:
    Once again a good report with some cracking pics.
    Happy Birthday Dave :happy:
    It is starting to seem the bass are coming in better numbers and size now where did i put that rod......... :yes: :yes: :laugh:

20. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

What a hard life you guys have.............all that great fishing, fine food and fancy boats. The rest of us can only dream of the day.....!! :butt:

Well done on the fish Ken and many happy returns to young Dave.... :wink:

Neil.