1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BASS...... What methods and lures are in favour this season???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, May 13, 2014.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well its about this time of year I start dusting off the old plugging rod and sorting through my bass lures, changing trebles, split rings, checking my braid and generally getting my gear sorted for a bit of Bass plugging..

I have had Bass in May on lure in previous years,s but generally do most plugging during June, July, August, September. I tend to stick to the lures which I have done well with in the past which are mainly, Maria Chase BW, Tackle House Feed Shallow, Komomo II, Sasuke which are amongst my favourites..

Just wondered if anyone has started plugging yet??

What plugs are in this year??

What's your favourite plugs? Lures? Methods?

Any cheap lures, methods that you have found deadly??

With so many different lures, rods, reels, lines, braids on the market it can be very confusing.. So its good to know what you guys who are actually fishing are using and most of all catching with..

Cheers..

2. congerball

congerball Blenny

Eh up Gary, just got back from Scotland last night.....Bass are in!!

Report to follow but managed a short session on Sunday evening with 2 Bass and 2 Plaice!

Small peeler crab baits did the business.

When I get my lure gear out I'll be mostly using my Tackle House feed shallow lures and IMA Narabone....get it digging into the sand.

3. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Gary ,

I'm itching to get out too, but I'm going to wait till start of June before I do. Like you I've got a few things to sort out to get all my kit ready. Number one priority is a new pair of waders as my current greys ones leak quire badly and I've already fixed em a few times.

Plugs wise I haven't bought any new ones this year. I went a bit mad the last season or two and have more than I really need and again tend to stick to the same half dozen or so favourite's. the smaller feed shallow did the best for me last year.

I have however got some nice sandeel flies I want to try behind a controller float as I think these could be great for a couple of locations.

We are back up the mull bank holiday weekend if the weather looks OK so will probably make that the first session of the year.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

4. glassback

glassback Blenny

hi gary ive only been twice now
    not from choice mind just getting conditions right
    this is from my first session this year back in aprill
    [​IMG]
    caught on a soft lure weedless on a hoggy lure
    i only had a short session for a hr but conditions were good
    then since then water colours been wrong .
    but i will be going this weekend all been well

same lures as last year with just a few more top water lures
    tacklehouse vultures .
    and my favorates the last couple seasons daiwa shoreline shiners r50ssr
    were deadly in the dark aswell .plus a few home made needles
    to try out .

5. congerball

congerball Blenny

I like the look of your weedless setup. I'm going to try that method next time.

6. glassback

glassback Blenny

7. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

seen on another site that there was bass caught on the big beach at south shields last night,, dont know if it was lure or bait ;)

8. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

I've been buying a few plugs and picking up a new kayak up in June
    Well done Andy

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great stuff... Nice to see a couple of you have been out Bassing already. Going to try more soft plastics this year myself Andy..

10. glassback

glassback Blenny

hi gary
    yea i also have been useing softs more ,in certain places
    i realy need to as ive got to many what dont see the water year in year out.
    and i still keep buying more

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

I know what you mean like Andy.. I am going to venture out on the odd occasion just armed only with soft plastics, so I am not tempted to dip in my bag and pull my favourite plugs out. I caught some nice cod on them from the shore last summer, but need to get my finger out and use them more locally for the bass...

12. Borissped

Borissped Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rumour of a big bass from Filey this week?

Going to have to dust down me summer gear & get out there!

13. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Megabass zonk iwashi did the business year before last closely followed by tackle house feed shallow, duo tide minnow slim 200mm came in third tied with the ima calm, all deadly but costly lures so last year in Tenerife I bought back a load of jinza kommomo copies at 5 euros each and they looked and tracked like the real McCoy haven't had chance to test them in the sea yet as it was December when I brought them back so fingers crossed, I don't think it will be long before they arrive in the uk,Gerry's have some feed shallow copies that look identical however May need trailing, think they were around 7 quid I don't really think that the bass will tell the difference between a £5 lure or a £25 lure it's just having the confidence to use a cheaper one

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I think I will be using the old favourite Gary ---- A piece of trunking off the earth wire , works a treat ;) ;)

15. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there,
    Currently, SG Prey's are £3 on Glasgow site. Great lures.
    Top Channel Islands bass fisher gave us a hint on my other forum to stop lures dead in the water (in some places, circumstances) and you need lures that suspend for that.
    I tried on my river with the 6.5g SG Prey, which very, very slowly sink in the horizontal in fresh, and found it to be a killer method. In last few months, using this method, chub, salmon, many, many pike (two to 18lb), sea trout and trout.
    In right time and place, a proper killer method.

I am going to tune my bigger Prey's to suspend (slightly bigger belly hooks, or strips of golf head balancing leads) and think I know where and when to use them.
    Hopefully conditions will be right when I head there, and I will let you know how I get on.

16. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

was out this morning for sea trout got nothing so thought i would try a place i have been told is canny for bass , any way still a bit early but thought i would give it a shot,, i was looking in me bag for wobbler and found a tasmainian devil lure , the wife got me a few when she had been away,, tryed it and picked up a small sea trout came off just as i was about to land it also got four weaver fish on it, the action looks and feels great, just wonderd if any one has used them before for bass ;)