1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Tags:
  1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

How do. Can anyone recommend a fixed spool reel for bait fish for bass with braid. Do want a massive reel but want a salt water proof one (if u get my meaning).

2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I previously had a rovex, but was a bit on the small side, had bass upto 3lb with it and a 9ft rod...

Boyes in scarborough had a ryobi f/s and smooth action, bit bigger than my previous rovex. had pollak upto 2lb with no problems twinnwd with my shimano 9ft rod - how it would handle with 3lb plus. ?
    However, the build quality is good, still no corrosion in 2 years but i do look after it.
    It's not big names obviously like penn and shimano, but on the price i cant fault it for around 25 quid.
    next time i am in the shed i will get a pic and model number, but i suspect you want something with a bit more muscle...

3. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use a Shimano 3500 baitrunner, the baitrunner is "the dogs" for bass, it allows a fish to run without pulling the rod from your hand or the rest.
    The above Shimano is very old school, not now in production, but is specifically designed for salt water use, hard to come by, and due to its popularity generally not cheap.They also come in bigger sizes if the 3500 seems a bit small, I have had Bass up to 7lb on my 3500, and one time a Conger about 15 lb, so despite their size they pack a "reel punch"
    Penn do a similar reel, the Spinfisher Liveliner, although I dont know if it is as reliable for the price, given that some recent Penn reels have a few "issues" if you read the reports on them.

I"m sure there will be a few other reels suggested, in the end, its all down to how much you are prepared to spend, whatever you decide, I would urge you to go the "baitrunner " way..I have been using them for years for baitfishing for Bass, and wouldnt use any other type.

Roger

4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

shimano nexeave nice reel caught pollack to 4lb and small bass using lures
    i also mlike penn stuff ive never had a problem as long as u look after them

5. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

I use the Diawa Ballistic its mag sealed and smoothest reel ive ever had, if using braid always slightly underfill the spool otherwise will be plagued with issues