1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass lures - North East Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Dav, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Now that summers on its way , do many of you lads target the bass on lures?
    been trying for a couple of seasons now without much luck , any one else do any good with plugs n
    spinners ?
    Seem to get a few on bait but as for lures nothing yet ...

2. Acko

Acko Rockling

Re: lures

I bought Rapalas, Shads and all sorts of jelly worms/eels etc Last summer I tried every thing. Long casts short casts. Quick retrieve/slow retrieve. Rock edges Beach fishing...
    I didnt get a take?
    I tell you what though. I'll be doing it again this summer. Bound to get a result if we put the effort in.
    All I got was a few shards of seaweed and a nice tan. It was beautifull just being there doing it. Worth it with no fish.
    Ill make a deal with you tho?
    If I have any luck this summer Ill share (Which rapala and where) With you if you can figure it out? Ill tell you if you tell me?
    Keep at it...
    Its Great Fun and we will suss it out eventually.

3. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

baza does ok for them.he was telling me about his exploits when i stood alongside him during the fleece open.maybe he'll post some tips on here.

4. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

talking of lures i was in the pound shop in redcar today.they had telescopic rods,small fixed spool reels,spools of 10lb breaking strain line (ideal for rotten bottoms),boxes of 4 spinners,boxes of small jelly worms and for course anglers bags of strawberry and bags of fishmeal pelletts all at a pound.

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

a good few years ago me and me mate hammered the bass on plugs at the north gare, 18 fish between the two of us, i had one 7lb 2oz and me mate's biggest was 6lb 9oz. we had 18 fish that day, loads in the 4lb size, all the fish that were not hooked in the gills were returned, including some 5lb plus beuts.
    never been the same since :'(
    locals clocked us doin the biz, next thing every man,dog and boat hammered the area,wiped them out :'( felt realy bad about that so never went back till next year), and we nailed 13 plus bass each, although the size was'nt there, 2lb average, all returned, appart from badly gilled trebbles, had a good few goes at them for the next few years but they just were not there. but apparently the area still produces lots of bass, with big specimens possible late summer ;D

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah paul ,had plenty of bass on the bottom from that area, but none on the plugs as yet , althopugh heard storys and actually found a few plugs stuck in the rocks on low tides , last summer i was on the north gare and i thought i seen a fish break the surface out the corner of my eye , i stopped doing what i was doing and kept looking at the area , then all of a sudden the fish broke surface again.creating a big boil n a splash , i dont think it was a seatrout or salmon , i think it was either a big bass or a mullet , but tend to think it were a bass through the way it turned rather violently . was talking to a lad who had had bass to 8lb from that area , What with an 11lb bass from steetly last year and all the fish i was getting upto 4 ish 5 pound on bait , i will keep plugging away ,only a matter of time my mate has a dory ,which we will be out on alot this summer so hopefully ,i have an area in mind that we are gona hit big time , with the boat , as every year this particular spot is always swarming with birds so i,m thinking it will be a hotspot for baitfish ,closely followed by mr bass ,
    acko i have about 3 boxes of every plug and lure you can think of from jointed rapalas ,allie magnet poppers, dexters etc etc to mepps, as i tend to change from sea fishing to lure fishing in summer , pike perch etc etc , so i dont think its the plugs im lacking ,think its just down to being there at the right times ,ie first light last light ...seem to get plenty of coalfish to 4lb at last light
    lobbers when you say you were getting all these bass , was it day time or early morning /evening ,did you not take no pics as an 8lb bass on a lure is a once in a life time feat ,especially from this area... must be them golden balls you possess .i, not jealous :-[
    i will keep you informed of how i get on acko,

7. baza

baza New Member

i fish for them from the end of may till the weather gets a hold around october. i think i know where lobbers is on about and usually fish there. ive lost a couple in the 6lb + bracket and landed them to 4-5lb. its my favorite type of fishing, the crack of dawn not a sole about, salmon jumping, mullet everywhere and bass boiling on the surface. surface lures work best when the bass are on the surface and not too far out as its hard to reach them with a popper, it works better when the surface is like glass, but the easiest way to catch them is on a ordinary quid a go mackarel spinner wound as fast as you can so its just below the surface, they cast much further and the bass absolutely nail them. spinners dont give you the thrill of seing the fish take your plug though sometimes they come right out the water with it in there mouths. my favorite lures have been yo-zuri mag poppers in 25g. ive got loads of lures and one of these outfish the rest put together, for me you can leave your rapalas in there wrappers, ive only ever had one fish on them.these fish if you havnt had one already are amazing fighters especially using braid they give it there all, and like what lobbers was saying earlier they do get hammered so take one for the table but dont turn it into a torness situation, btw they get hammered mainly by the b*****d seals. ive heard its not just the northgare that has resident fish the other side also has a few fish. look for areas where theres a tide rip, thats shallow and has close access to deep water, the bass can be in really shallow water 1-2ft deep, look for bird activity on the water and most important of all is look for boils of water, you more than often dont see the bass jump thats usually a salmon or trout cleaning themselves of sea lice, but if the salmon and trout are there you can bet the bass are there also, wear polarised glasses cos looking for boils when the suns in your face gives you a headache pretty sharpish without them. ive seen loads of bassy looking places whilst cod fishing in yorkshire, look for freshwater and the other things ive mentioned and give it a go.

8. bassman

bassman Administrator

I personally target bass in the summer and have tried a lot of different lures, i tried 2 new types last year 1 was the storm kickin segment lure, very good but a very soft body 1 good fish and the lure was shreaded. the second 1 was an american lure called kick tails a very good hard body lure not cheap but a very good action in the water. the tail section of the lure swims just like a fish, just as the storm lure does. But the kick tails won the day, they come in different sizes and you can get them from NGCsport.com

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

mmm , seem not to be as rare as i first thought , personally every bass ive caught have gone back to fight anotherday , i,m the type of angler that likes to see his fish return to the water unless its damaged, cod included, i have a big respect for fish i catch , Back to the bass though , i done alot over the north gare last summer never had a one on the lures , i was speaking to another lad who had been going down every other morning at first light and he said hed had none either , i tried all round the stones and on the sea side of the north gare , i think ide have to see one caught on lures to be able to have confidense enough to beleive there there and ready for lures ,as much as ive heard the stories of 6 asnd 7 lb fish , i do know there around there but....cant beat other anglers input ..... it sorts of reeminds me of fishing for sea trout on fly..... rather difficult .....

10. baza

baza New Member

there is one spot over the gare that is far better than any other, in the right conditions you can almost gaurentee a bass or two, this spot is quite small though and three fishermen on it and its overcrowded so forgive me for not disclosing it, ive had them from nearly every part of the gare though and i assure you that lures in the summer months is the way to go, you have to learn what stages of the tide the fish will be there, ive had bass on the first chuck more than once, last year the first chuck of the season with a popper resulted in a big bass heading out to sea with my lure and me not being prepared lost it, the very next cast i landed one of 2lbish, felt like a dab compared to the one i lost

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah have no probs with you not giving the spot away baza, keep it for ureself mate, and the two others lol.... And i know what you mean when you say its knowing at what stage of the tide the fish are there thats why i was hammering there last year , seems i must be doin summat wrong as i can assure you i fisherd every bass looking spot over there last year ,with no luck .....Ill persevere though ,thats what i love about fishing finding things out for yourself, although its nice to know and hear of other anglers stories....

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Has anyone ever tried between Robin hoods bay and Ravenscaar. I remember Steve I'anson doing a bass report in Sea Angler and writing about this place. Again its a perfect mix of shallow scars and sand, there must be bass in this area.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Like you say glen there is loadsa potential bass looking ground in the north east for plugging , although down past whitby area around ravenscar is not an area i.m to familiar with , Ive only been targetting bass on a serious level the past couple of summers ,mainly trying the same areas too ,just trying to get a feel for that particular area on different conditions ,times and tides etc ,

14. baza

baza New Member

when ive been down the peak steel ive noticed the tide rip over the steel and the drop offs either side make it ideal bass terratory. bass hang around shallow headlands that jut out just like that one waiting for sandeel to be pushed over the fast moving shallow water. not enough people try new areas like these for bass, rhb has everything bass look for

15. bassman

bassman Administrator

try the shallow sandy beachs m8s no more than 30yds out ;)

16. Lobbers

i know that you know that i know baza, does this spot stick out a bit ;D

17. baza

baza New Member

i stuck out like a sore thumb there on sunday night in the pishing down rain paul, i was there sunday morning setting some livebait traps and seen a swirl really close in but it must have been a trout or salmon, cos there isnt a bass within a mile of the place at the moment.btw what is the biggest peeler shore crab youve ever had cos there was a very crispy male crab in one trap with a 5 inch back. im off out digging for some dayglo rag now our lass will go bezerk when she sees the state of me when i get in

18. Lobbers

some are really big, it will have been a fully grown male dogger.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Spot that sticks out .mmmmm.....,,errrrr.. thinking ...

20. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

could this be the spot?
    [​IMG]