1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BASS LURE FISHING (The Dark Side)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Apr 10, 2011.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hi Ray, Fishing after dark for bass on lures is probably the most exciting fishing I have experienced. I do believe that it opens up new area's, the venue's we fish in darkness we very rarely touch during daylight, we have caught from these spots in daylight, but they really come into there own once darkness falls. The strange thing is some of our prime daylight venues just seem to die once darkness arrives.. :confused:

The venues we have most success after dark are very shallow, fishing into 4ft of water max and often a lot less at times, the bass seem to become very brave and will often take your lure at the rod tip, which makes for very exciting fishing, when a good bass explodes from the water and grabs your lure just feet away from you, It certainly wakes you up, if you were starting to drift off.

I think Dav still has some fishing gear left, and is planning to give bassing both home and away some serious attention this season.. Oh and as for the car, no the Mazda has gone and I drive something with a funny old name which I can't for the life of me remember at present. :embarrass:

Tightlines.

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

:cheesy: :cheesy:. Still got far to much gear ray ,, i dont supose youir intrested in a avon rod are you or maybe a old 13ft float rod ....or how about a couple of nice little lure rods ? hahahaha
    Yeah its defo worth staying on after dark like ray , Altho like gary said some spots even local tend to die off as the dark coms in but a couple of shots seem to fish well in the dark even in water less than 2 ft deep at your feet , one of the best fights i had off a bass was in the dark in water no more than 2ft on a little shiny plug with a loud rattle the water was gin like . , it was oinly about 2half pound maybe 3lb but i would of put money on it being bigger , they just shoot off in water this shallow and there is nothing you can do if your clutch is set right .....
    Looking forward to some summer bassing and codding .....Cheers

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Good to hear from you both again.
    I was wondering if the bass might move into the shallows on sand on a night. Iv'e not done any good on sand locally but had them on the rock fringes. However darkness might be the key but it's hard to second guess what they might do. It's a great time to be bass fishing as you don't know whats around the corner.
    ps don't call me about the rods Dav :laugh:

4. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Here's a few examples of the type of stuff that's been successful and also a few that have been added over the Winter that I am sure will work this Summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of the stuff shown above will work nicely just holding it up in the tide so you can be confident it's going to be sending out those tell tale vibes when worked on a nice slow retrieve.

One thing I have found at night is don't be afraid to slow things right down so if your plugging choose a plug that will work at slow speed and give it a try.

Given what an array of plastics you can get for the price of an average plug you might want to try chucking them where you wouldn't want to be throwing your best bling and see what happens,you might just get a pleasant surprise.

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Dark or even black seems to be a common factor for nigh time lure fishing Andy judging by the pics mate. I need to get the day time right first before even attempting this form. Just one question buddy : What's the pigeon egg for lol.

6. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Pigeon Egg :canadian: :canadian:

It's a balrag float Alan,one of several ways you can get your lures out further.(Ben 10,Hello Kitty etc etc :butt:)

Trace length when using this method is open to debate as it was thought a long trace was required but last Summer I had fish on a trace no more than 3 foot.

For those extra long traces I drilled a small hole in the float and located the hook in it to assist the cast and it worked fine.

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Surely you arent driving a Wartburg Knight , Andy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Only if I can find a black one :crazy:

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Some nice lure's there Andy, See you haven't got any of the killer diller's?? Legless lizards were also top in 2010, Just see Sam, but be prepared to pay through the nose for them, very sought after and rare lure he told me.. :suspious: :embarrass: Oh and by the way Ben 10's are so last season... :laugh::cheesy:

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats a nice array of rubbery stuff andy, meticulously set out :educated: It all looks a bit perverse and a bit gimpy though :kiss: nevertheless, I'm watching your tactics closely this year after failing to heed your info last year :suspious:

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Did anyone give night time bassing a go this season? I know Glenn and pals had gave it a go and had some good results..

What were your thoughts on it? Do you think they home in more on vibration from the lure after dark?

Why do some venues fish better after dark on lures and some fish better in daylight. Any thoughts??

15. broony

broony Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Had most of my bass at night this year. Both on hard and soft lures but when the hards weren't working the softs often did.

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Gary- I bought a chug bug years ago and was starting to think it wouldn't catch anything.
    Then I tried it in darkness- result!
    I have found it works better in the 'thin water' though.
    I did colour it all black though and my sea trouting experience says stick with dense lures that provide a good silhouette ranging from subtle (rubber eels etc) to those that displace a lot of water (poppers etc).
    That said- watching our main man Shadrap and his mate 'Al Patchinko' at work in darkness was a short sharp lesson in how bass behave for me.