1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass - How long do they stay around ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive been discussing the subject of bass with a few people of late. One main thing that seems to be a feature this year is that the poor weather is leading to patchy fishing but when we get a break in the conditions the bass are happy to take the plug and some lucky anglers :whistle: have managed some excellent catches. It must be noted though that we are heading into the latter part of the year now and before long the nights will be drawing in and we will be looking towards the autumn species like Cod to keep our interests going.

My question is - How long do the bass hang around ? is it still possible to catch the schoolies in good numbers through early autumn or do they start to thin out ?

2. IanB

IanB Blenny

I've had schoolies well into november, not vast numbers but had 3 one night mid-late november
    hope this helps

Ian

3. Maxie

Maxie New Member

august,september and early october are the times for the better fish over here.
    the big spring low waters produced some good fish to bait last year,ill have a look at my records later and put the dates and catches on.

4. newdave

newdave Guest

4th of Nov last year for my best & i believe a few good fish were caught on bait up to Christmas, the water is warmer in Nov than April :educated:

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Davenator tells me the back end of summer and early autumn can produce the better fish....fingers crossed.

Not sure how long they will stay around for, hope its a good while yet.... heard sept and october can be good.. :yes: :yes:

6. Doc

Doc New Member

I don't think they go away, last year one of the brid charter boats had a party catching them 2 and 3 a time on baited Hokkais in late November, the netters get them in December, and the pair team can have the odd good day on them in January as can the netters. The main difference from an angling point of view is water temperature, usually from December only the very occasional bigger bass are caught, and then nothing until March/April when the schoolies start to feed, although schoolies can be caught on sandy venues such as Skipsea and in Filey bay at any time during the winter, but more so when its milder than usual. Personally I think colder water largely switches off the feeding response, and consequently reduces significantly the chances of catching one on rod and line. Fish surveys and gut analysis I've done on bass during the high winter period also show that their stomachs are more usually empty. 8 degrees and below may be a deterministic temperature, as the sea temperature takes all of the summer and a greater part of the Autumn to reach its maximum. In the Humber Estuary, the highest temperatures are usually recorded in October, and as the winter and frosts begin to set in the water temp drops very quickly to the year low sometime around March.

7. robq

robq Rockling

I had a schoolie around a pound from withernsea south beach in early january a few years back. It was thick snow and one of the coldest days on record !! 6 below at lunchtime and steam was coming off the sea :surprise: :surprise: we had a fair few mops that day too

I dont believe that they go away totally in winter

Rob

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

They dont go away totally. Twenty five years ago, we used to catch them right throught the winter until we stopped cod fishing in march.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

I think maybe its just as simple as changeing tactics and venues, with small bait fish in short supply in the winter months i think its worth changeing from the plug/lure approach to bait fishing at close range..

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah im sure the bass dont really venture to far , ive had them and seen them caught on bait right through winter at some of the beach marks ....i only stopped plugging last year really cause the urge to catch cod took over ......im sure when the sprats and stuff twindle the better bass switch to bigger prey ....and like the cod they dont seem to mind a pipe ffish or ten ...... :wink:. my better bass we caught late september early november time ,,,plenty of time yet for a bragg.....

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

I agrree about changing tactics as the correct thing to do. When we caught Bass right throught the winter, all those years ago, was really by accident, such as mistimed casts, which resulted fishing on the edges of holes in the edge of the surf, at Upgang etc. Now people think there are more Bass about than those days, but that my not be true. It may be just a case of anglers deliberately targetting them now, unlike years ago, when the mindset, was just Cod. So if things are quiet on the beach for codling in the winter, just drop one short for some unexpected sport.

12. Maxie

Maxie New Member

had my last bass on 29th october last year but it was like flogging a dead horse as there wasnt many about and i wont be trying for them much after the first week in october this year.
    best tides were the big spring low waters at the end of august,the full moon tides fished best.