1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Fishing restrictions to be debated in House of Commons

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Feb 8, 2016.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

A wiseman once said "be careful what you wish for" A part of me thinks, tough $hit Henry, you and your mates banged on about bag limits for long enough and now your reaping what you have sown. Im sat laughing at them and how foolish they have been to entrust our sport to Politicians I mean when you look at the state of the country, hands up who felt they would look after us ?? Mad People been playing with fire for far too long now.

I bet The MP's are loving this. Who ever thought there would come a day when one of mans greatest freedoms would be removed from him and discussed by Politicians who wouldn't know one end of a fishing rod from the other.

Its laughable really. Im just pleased I practice almost 100% catch and release these days and this impacts me not one bit, otherwise Id be on a Ferry to Brussels as we speak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Glenn Kilpatrick

Ill write to MP and recommend he does something worthwhile with his time like help the sick and Vulnerable, and get the £uck away from our sport.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I agree Glenn I practise 100% catch and release with Bass myself so the restrictions don't affect me, but I dislike how the gill netters and commercials can carry on as normal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Glenn Kilpatrick

I banged on about that for years Matty when Roskilly and his men wanted to bring in an angling licence and Bag Limits.

My stance was always to say, Cut commercial impact on stocks, make it worth our while to pay then you have something to offer. They wouldn't listen, just wanting to play politics and look important.

The commercial Lobby is powerful and very very wealthy and will have most of these MP's in their back pockets. The NFFO have representation in Brussels feeding into these debates. They employ legal people and Barristers. Full credit to them, and no way can we ask them to take any form of quota cut, they wont have a moment of it.

My guess is they wanted a bag limit to police anglers, They will probably settle for 3 or 4 limit but start at 1. That way, bargaining takes place, and they negotiate there way to 3 or 4 bass bag limit for anglers. The MP comes back a hero claiming a victory for us. when In reality we lost an ancient right and the commercials are sat pissing themselves laughing.

leon Roskilly and his cohorts should have been fed to the sharks years ago, along with anyone else holding a desire to play politics with angling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. glassback

glassback Blenny

i agree glen thats exactly what will happen
    but if the stocks do continue to go down then i can see it been a total ban for all landing bass untill there recovered to sustainable levels .
    if the scientists are right or wrong about the state of the bass stocks ,we will see in a few years time
    .and same as you and matty thats all i do is c&r now adays also .
    i will just have to fish for wrasse