1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BASS FISHING PLUGS & LURES - WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE ? PLEASE HELP THE CONFUSED

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

does it often work? often fancied a go at the fly but never took the plunge into it. wouldnt care,gotta couple of lovely fly rods at home of old family relatives,not for saltwater though :happy:

2. bucko

bucko Guest

Well mate, depending on what depth the fish are feeding at and what they are feeding on you would use either a weighted fly (like the one in the picture) or different densities of fly line.
    I'd opt for quite a heavy rod (AFTM 8-9) and a weight forward or shooting head line to punch the fly out as far as you can (Big flies are sods to get to turn over at times).
    The biggest challenge, especially on the North East Coast seems to be finding a suitable venue.
    As for flies, a lot of people swear by the very small (about 2 inches) rubber sandeels.

3. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

does it cost much to get into? i mean obviously the gear has to be saltwater right? but is it pretty much the same basics as freshwater?

4. bucko

bucko Guest

I use an old Shakespeare 8-9 weight rod that cost me about £10 second hand and is a bit too heavy for the river fishing I do, a £15 disc drag reel and a £4 'mill end flyline.
    Its as much as you want to spend really mate.

5. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

are you self taught mate?is it easy enough to pick up??

6. bucko

bucko Guest

Pretty much mate- I can't claim lots of success but I've had mackerel on the fly, which is good fun and sport with bass and gars following- not in the North East though.
    I've a couple of marks sussed for the Summer but it will mean some tricky casting and being out for about 4am.
    These lads know far more then me:

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/

7. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

thats a good link is that,i was thinking of maybe having a go for when i visit scotland,usually go up to our lasses cousins 2/3times a year and some of the lochs there are packed with hard fighting pollack. do you fish afloat or just in the surf/shore?

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats something ive been pondering me self , im in limbo at the minute do i sell my fly gear or do i keep it , been fancying having a go with the fly in the sea tho , the weight of the rod and line sound about right for the job , , just need to invest in some saltwater sandeel looking flys ,Altho im sure some of my big seatrout lures would do the trick , we`ll `see ........maybe ill hang on the fence abit longer as ive got alot of plugging to do this summer without trying the fly too..............

9. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

maybe pack both setups in the car when ya go then you got the choice :cheesy: does anyone know out much about freshwater fly rods??

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Good thinking batman :canadian: :canadian:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Plenty of fly fishing kits on ebay, this one is £90 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLY-FISHING-KIT-TACKLE-BAG-NET-ROD-REEL-LINE-FLIES_W0QQitemZ350017748884QQihZ022QQcategoryZ23819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem but there are cheaper ones at £30+ that would get you started. I started fly fishing last year, as with all types of fishing the basics are easy to pick up but it's the fine tuning that is a bit harder. Enjoyable way to fish mind :yes: