1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BASS FISHING PLUGS & LURES - WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE ? PLEASE HELP THE CONFUSED

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

With spring just around the corner its time to start buying a few bass fishing lures. But looking on the websites like veals theirs just so many to choose from.

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Plugs.html

First of all you've got four categories to choose from - Surface, Sub surface, Floating and Sinking or deep diving.

Then when you enter each category you've got various lures in differing sizes and colours from Rapala, Maria, yo zuri, storm, owner, dexter and even Daiwa. Each particular type then often comes in different sizes and weights. How confusing is this ?

So im looking for a bit of help (not just for myself but for others interested), which are the bass lures I should be looking at for fishing in this area ? Obvious we have a diversity of ground including , sand, rock, shallow and deep water. To date the only name Ive really heard banded about is the Maria Chase (or something like that).

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Re: BASS FISHING PLUGS & LURES - WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE ? PLESAE HELP THE CONFUSED

My new Mike Ladle sure spin has just arrived from veals today and a shimano stradic 4000 cant wait to go bass hunting with them,,, As for Plugs... Dav know's his plugs, he has helped me out alot, he highly rates the maria chase sw/bw's maria angel kiss and rapala xrap's..
    Roll on spring and summer..mmmmmm BASS :happy: :happy:

3. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

id like to do a little bass fishing :happy:not done be for wat tackel do i need,would a 11ft powerloop do for rod or wat.please could you help :educated:wat sort of reel.yours bob.

4. Mark

Mark Blenny

Might be able to help you out there lads. GJW, thats a great combination you've got there mate. A friend of mine has the Mike ladle sure spin MK2 and it is a great rod for it's money. I Have been using the Shimano stradic 4000 now for 4 years (same reel) and it still running as smooth as the first cast,mine is the front drag which i think is better than the rear drag models,just personal preference. Have used other reels before the shimano of reputable makes but after the first dunking they have all seized up. So it's worth spending that little bit extra,got mine off ebay for 60 quid,think they are about £140 in some shops. As for plugs,well it's a minefield, there's thousands of them and i'm sure they will on there day take fish.However for surface lures and the most exciting way to fish in my opinion it's got to be the Aile magnet 105mm in mackerel green and sandeel patterns,the 125mm look ok but the action is not as good as the 105mm version. Lucky craft sammy in black aurora and the storm chug bug big bug. I will not leave the house unless i have all three of these in my lure bag. The chug bug is better used when there is a bit of chop on the water or a bit of colour and have taken fish in pitch blackness on all of the above. For diving plugs over shallow ground then there is only one and thats the storm jointed thunderstick,blue and crome,black and crome,seatrout and have also had them on the fire tiger bright green and orange but very rarely use that one. When fishing a bit deeper i then move onto the Rapala J11 J13 both in the blue/white black/white paterns.

I carry a selection of the above in a shimano lure box which is fixed around the waist you can also fit a spare spool in the side pocket with some spare lure clips for quick changeover. camera ,scales and long nose pliers for unhooking and a net if i'm going somewhere thats a bit dodgy. Oh and don't forget your chesties.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

5. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

the lucky craft lures are tops,dont think i've used a bad one yet,but like you say,each lure has its day.chug bugs are always a safe bet too. my personal preference for an all round general setup is a 4000sized reel loaded with 30lb braid,10/11ft rod with a bit of poke when needed...but not too much, and a selection of mixed lures (surface,sub surface and diving) around the 1/2oz bracket to little more than 1oz,this then covers me for pretty much most situations for wherever i turn up. i've also found the buzzbaits the american bass fellas use to be really good for pollack,dead easy to fish too!!i have some of those from 1/2oz upto 7/8oz. every days a school day!!! :whistle:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Agree to everything gary , mark and mouldy have said glen , i agree it can be very confusing choosing which lures to go for , especially with all the differnt makes , sizes colours actions etc etc , , basically if i were just starting up knowing what i know so far about the bass ,ide stick to lures of about 10 to 130 mm , the usual bassy colours ,and look at marias,x raps , yo zuri s etc , and just try to have at least one of every type of lure ie surface,subsurface,diving,sinking diving and have confidence with them , i think thats the key , perseverence :educated:, altho be aware if you get dragged into to deep you will end up with several of each type all in differnt colours :embarrass:,,,,,its the bug ..... :laugh:
    and have a good read of that book bud :wink:.......roll on summer , :canadian:

7. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

defo the bug...majority of which will see little if any action :embarrass: there is some great literature about thats really informative, and well worth a read. just scour waterstone's (there are other well known bookstore's about...ahem!) i still pick up bits every time i read them, cant beat the hands on experience though for trial an error...you learn from your mistakes :surprise:

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Your correct with your assessment Glenn in choosing water levels ei. surface (on the top), sub-surface (1-2 foot) , shallow divers (4-6 foot) and deep divers (9-12 foot) that way you can "search" the water levels - I have tried to stick with certain patterns for each category that I'm confident with - good advice is to buy more than one type that proves successful so if you lose it you have a spare ( I have 3 Maria Chase's) - as long as you have some idea of the ground you can adjust the lure to suit, so if you want to work a deep gully of around 10 feet you'll put on a shallow diver - using a link swivel it is easy to change - I find with our rocky shore the surface and shallow divers are great as theres less risk of losing them - the bass will come up for them any how - as for colours the manufacturers know best, I haven't really found any difference at all, but I like to show a bit of red which I think the hunting bass are tuned into as a wounded fish

9. quint

[​IMG][​IMG]

Heres my selection - my favourites are the Maria Chase's in the top left

10. newdave

newdave Guest

looks like you have had a tidy up Ian, new box ?
    must be all this tidy kayak talk :yes:

11. quint

There all in hibernation - believe me it won't last :canadian:

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ide take them tobies out of the bottom compartement quint , there knocking hell out of ure sliver...... :surprise:

13. Maxie

Maxie New Member

rapala sale on here.
    http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Default.aspx?PartnerID=56
    can anyone reccomend any as i wouldnt mind a go this year myself.

14. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

re;-22 jan, would 11ft shimano power loop do the job and what reel.i lure and dead bait with this rod and the reel i use on it is my Aero baitrunner,manly pike fishing,never got any feed back,just seemed to be about lures nothing else.

15. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Round here Glen dont be tempted to go deeper than 2ft its too expensiv :cry: :cry: :cry: all the above especially Maria Chase and don,t forget Daiwa Saltiga pencil poppers there a bit cheaper

16. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

i use a 10/11ft shimano exage for most of my lure work and find it more than enough.that bit extra length also allows me to float fish that bit easier too in the surf. i cant see there being much problem with your setup mate just watch the saltwater on your reel, theres alot of cheapish spinning reels to choose from if you dont fancy using that one.
    cheers phil.

17. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

cheers for that mouldybits,witch reel wood you go for to use with my rood .

yours bob.

18. bucko

bucko Guest

This is what I intend on trying at a certain North East mark from May onwards:
    [​IMG]

They do look rubbish when dry but put them in the water and they come to life.
    I've spliced up a shooting head (Heavily forward tapered fly line) and with my heavy fly rod reckon a should be able to put it out about 30-35 yards.

Failing that, Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow or a Chug Bug.

19. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

you could try one of those in front of the plug if the fly gear dont work say around 2ft on a shortish 6inch length of mono maybes...??

20. bucko

bucko Guest

I've tried them on a dropper like you mention mate but the fly rod should put me more in touch, so to speak with more control over depth, which on a dropper would be dictated by the plug or spinner.
    When fishing with Dexter Wedges and similar spinners though I'll often put a bass fly or feather on the dropper as long as its not too snaggy.