1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Fishing Marks - what do you look for ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I once pm'd Quint about what to look for and he replied 'the bigger the rocks the bigger the bass' which would tye in with what your saying, but after yourselves and Mike showed me what to look for I caught most bass in shallow water.
    The biggest mistake I found previously was that I was treating Bass like I would Cod - deeper water, kelp etc and I have found that its nearly totally opposite for bass, for me the biggest attraction is Wrack and crabs find both in quantity with tide and in the right conditions there will be bass.
    Whilst I was a prolific cod catcher I never seemed to catch any monsters maybe the same will happen with the bass, who knows. ??

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The marks Ian fishes are a bit different to what we have around here Les. But some of those funny little runners around Boulby look similar.

3. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

A mile from there is where Clive on the Dominator has had 1.1/4 ton of bass in the nets this January/February.

4. Baramundi Bob

Probably part of the teesside population Les. That area is full of sand. Think Killer said they call it Sandy Bay.

5. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

When I talked to Clive about the bass in the nets, he said they only caught them in the soft never over hard ground, do bass spawn over soft ground ?? are we then to assume we are targeting stray bass on the rock and the numbers are all on the soft ground but may need to target them in the dark.
    Bit of a bummer when it doesn't get true dark until 11/12 in June/July, but we will see.

6. Baramundi Bob

Plenty of opportunities in sept Les when its dark earlier.

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Now Dan

When I wrote that my main method of bass fishing was from the kayak, although I was starting to venture on the shore - to be honest bass are not too dissimilar to cod ei if there is a mark with tide run I expect bass to be present, there are not many marks with shallow water with tide, but there is inside the head on the ebb, it fishes in calm conditions on the ebb but dies on the flood - as soon as you get a bit of colour and chop, similar to cod fishing, I expect bass to turn up without the need of tide, but if the chop is small, look for heavy ground, if the chop is bigger then cleaner ground will fish - the bigger fish tend to be loners and like you say are normally at your feet - one thing I notice about depth, I like about 4 to 6 foot, if it gets deeper my confidence goes, likewise when it's shallow, when you get a take make a mental note of rocks in your area, as that's the key time every tide

8. Baramundi Bob

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The 2 biggest bass I have seen 13 + and 10 lb + were caught after dark In shallow water the latter less than 4 yards from the waters edge in about 18 inches of water , so like catching cod it isnt always how far you can put your bait out , its where you put it , these big
    fish were taken with very short pop weed present

10. Baramundi Bob

Shocked to see 24,000 views on this one.

Any updates ??

11. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

You should be able to update this thread, shouldn't you Glenn ? You've had a few nice Bass recently I've noticed with your Whitby Bass Club reports. :yes:
    I don't know if I've just been a bit luckier this year, but I've had a markedly improved catch rate from the same marks and using the same lures.
    The only equipment that I've really changed is that I've used a different braid, but surely it can't just be that simple, so maybe I should just brag and say that it's me that's getting better at it.
    I've not yet caught any really big Bass, but I caught my PB of just under 5lb in bright sunshine and bang on high tide in about 10 feet of water. The mark is exposed at low tide and it is tight gully between two rocky outcrops. I've caught 5 bass from the same mark in the last couple of years by casting over it and drawing a shallow diving rapala just under the surface and over the gully. Any Bass in there are obviously ready to pounce on any prey that passes overhead.
    I watched the Henry Gilby DVD on lure fishing for bass, and his mate (Graham Hill, I think he's called), explains why he prefers to use a 'run-in' jointed plug rather than a new shiny one. It's probably all in the mind, but he reckons that once the lure has been hit a few times by a Bass, it's action alters slightly and this makes it become more effective and attractive to other bass. I can't help being a bit skeptical when I hear people swearing by certain lures though, and the way I see it is that we can easily become convinced that a particular lure is the best because we are more likely to use it again if it catches us a bass. Then because we are using that in preference to our other lures, we are obviously increasing the chance that the same lure is going to be the one to catch us the next bass, and so it goes on. In reality, I think that it's just about presenting the right lure in the right manner and in a place where bass are present. Sometimes if you're lucky, you will even see and/or hear them feeding on the surface, but often it's just about having a hunch about them being there.

I've experimented with Yo-Zuri plugs and the slightly cheaper Tsunami plugs and used them in equal measure, I've caught roughly the same amount of Bass on each of the brands. I've not used those Angel Kiss lures (or whatever they're called) that Gilbey swears by yet, but I will do if I ever find one snagged up on my travels (or if I win the lottery). Some of the cheaper lures might not be as durable and some of them are very poor quality indeed, but some of the Conrad plugs have done ok for me after upgrading the trebles, and when there are no huge shoals of mackerel about, a dexter wedge or toby-type lure is a good bet. Only the other day at Sandsend, I caught a mackerel on a toby from the kayak and had another fish on as soon as I dropped it back down. I got a nice surprise when I reeled in a bass instead of the expected mackerel.

Another lure that has done ok for me from rock marks at dusk and beyond is the mag popper. I haven't tried this tactic so far this year but I had a couple of great sessions in September last year using them in near darkness. I've bought some American knuckle-head poppers to try this season, but they're quite a bit bigger than what I'm used to and they're white with red heads, but there's only one way to find out if they're any good.

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

what do you look for...............................other peoples half hidden cars :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

13. Baramundi Bob

14. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ive tried knuckle heads on & off over the years with no fish caught ,on 1 good day when the bass was everywhere i caught on 7 different type of lures just to see if they only wanted 1 type in particular , have you noticed all the expensive jap lures have crap hardwear on them ,maria chase for example the finish on the body soon chips off and the rings/hooks soon rust ,, we are being ripped off , good old jointed raps will catch as good as anything , as with the chug bugs & mag darters for me the smaller sizes outfish the larger ,, but fish with the lures you trust & feel confident with

15. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a very interesting thread.
    One comment re. Bass lies - one would think Crab Hole off Brigg End, and places like that, would prove fruitful - kelp, strong tide flows, plentiful food - but I have NEVER heard of a bass being caught on Filey Brigg.
    I often think the south side would prove good in a South Easterly, but never anything there either, even in the salmon nets. (Correct me if you know I am wrong).
    I have started targeting Burniston, but nowt yet (in fairness, not given it much of a try)
    One thing, bassing ain't easy, and they constantly break rules.

16. young casper

young casper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

excerlant thread this ,,,just what a new boy needs loads of great advice :wink:

17. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

its amazeing where bass will be for 40 yrs ive fished spots, neglected others ,now ive tried lots of spots ive always walked past , and up to lately really been getting great catches (till my leg went gammy lol ) the beggars can be anywhere just put in the time ,

18. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

there is bass on the south side of the brigg,they used to get quite a few in the salmon nets before they changed the material of them,ive tried a few times and so has quint but all ended in failure

19. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Will hit them myself with a bit more effort then, and let you both know if I have any luck.
    Did you dead, live or popper it, or all three? Never tried live myself, but that might work. Catch mackerel off North, and slide them on south?
    Mind you, those nets do hamper that nice hole there.

20. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I heard this year that several had been taken at high ,from right in front of the Coble Landing at Filey, Dont know how much truth there is in it though, although if there is food there and a bit of surf running,who knows ?

Roger.