1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Fishing Bass Fishing Bag Limits - What Is The Correct Information ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

3. glassback

glassback Blenny

its 1 per day after the 29th of june glen and no fish allowed from 1st jan to the 28th june you can fish for them but must return the fish alive ,and a fine uptio 50.000 if caught taking them

• Old Old x 1
  4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It will be when NEIFCA process the new bylaw needed to legally enforce it, until then the existing 3 fish rule still stands

At the moment NEIFCA have'nt got round to draughting the new law required to prosecute, remember the delay in the implementation of the 3 fish a day bylaw , took months after the council of european ministers directive to reduce the bass take by anglers from unlimited to 3 fish a day, this new directive is going to take the same time to implement as new bylaws have to be draughted, discussed, agreed by committee and then advertised before they can be enacted

5. glassback

glassback Blenny

it certainly is old brian but thats what it is
    just like some people

6. glassback

glassback Blenny

the new bye law has been set by the mmo already brian it was set last week

7. brian carragher

Sorry but you've lost me, can you explain?

8. glassback

glassback Blenny

9. brian carragher

Ah right got it now, don't know what happened there then, was'nt intended

Got all the latest MMO bumff and have already read them, the quotas are legally enforceable now from the MMO and they control the commercial sectors catch's and have the ability under the quota system to change catch limits as conditions (TAC's total allowable catch's) go up or down according to returns submitted by commercial fishermen

The MMO have no duristriction over non commercial activities and need the IFCA's to introduce bylaws to enforce the new proposals, we had all these arguments before when the MMO proposed a 3 fish rule and it never got enforced until NEIFCA introduced its own bylaw covering the same 3 fish rule with some saying wrongly that as soon as the MMO issued its directive it was legally enforceable but as I said back at the time there is a legal process that NEIFCA has to go through before it can be adopted and enforced in regard to anglers and all of the non commercial activities

• Like Like x 1
  10. Glenn Kilpatrick

So in effect we could still catch and take home Bass and not be prosecuted ?? Does the NEIFCA have the power to set its own limits or does it have to abide 100% by the MMO ruling ?

11. glassback

glassback Blenny

as far as i,m still aware glen it still affects rsa also ive read quite alot about it as that is all i do now is bass fishing .but when i get chance i wil have a look for the documents etc

• Like Like x 1
  12. brian carragher

In theory the NEIFCA could adopt its own stand alone bylaws but it won't, it'll follow the MMO directives and could possibly extend any limit on take, they have the powers to legislate according to local conditions (otherwise there would'nt be separate IFCA's around the country) but part of the problem with IFCA's is how they're made up of "interested stakeholders" and they're more likely to adopt the MMO's proposals as a minimum and then put their own interpratation on it

Until the NEIFCA introduce their own bylaw on bass take reduction, the old 3 fish bylaw still exists as it has'nt been repealed by any new law, and their fishery officers can't do anything until they have the legal powers that a new bylaw will give them, so yes until then, the 3 fish limit still applies because the MMO have no legal juristriction over anglers and non commercial activities

13. Glenn Kilpatrick

I do find Dave Mcandless to be a sensible man though and he has a good team at Whitby. Again Ive met and spoke with a lot of them and they seem to want to be fair.

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

i did have an email from dave mcandless yesterday and he did confirm that the information is on the mmo
    link that i put up and it is law since it was published
    in january .
    i have seen a few posters coming out today to