1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass Club Two Go Back To Skye

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 31, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Adventures Of The Whitby Bass Club
    Read More About Skye Here.
    Skye Fishing And Photography Gallery
    Skye Sea Fishing Guide
    Bass Club On Skye 2013

Following on from last Autumns amazing trip to Skye, myself and Miff decided on a quiet week before our full bass club skye meet for 2 weeks in July.

Day 1 And 2

We left Whitby at roughly 4.30pm and made good time on the road north making our first stop just short of Ranoch moor and The Scottish Highlands. We stayed the night in a rather strange little cabin with a bar near by. Strange really does sum it up. foof was dreadful and the entertainment worse with a Billy Conolly lookalike singing first followed by some form of country and western/elvis/league of gentlemen/ pheonix nights club singer doing a Niel Diamond Medly and a touch of yodeling.

Hopped into bed not long after 10pm and awoke at 5.45 to start the best bit of the journey, across Ranoch moor and Glencoe before catching the ferry from Mallaig over to Armadale on Skye.

We arrived at our cottage in Roag around Mid morning and were fishing for just after lunch. Sadly the wind meant fishing wasnt as good as could have been expected but we both managed a few pollack upto the 4lb mark. with being tired we never moved to a more shelterd mark, but tomorrow we plan to find shalter and fish hard.

Heres a few pics from the drive north, Ill add some of the fishing shots as and when I get time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our cottage at Roag on Loch Brachadale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day Two North Of The Island

Sadly today's conditions were abysmal. Miff started the day early trying the local pier for a few mackerel but said he was almost blown off his feet and returned empty handed.

We had a drive out and Recced a few new marks at a place called Harlosh and Ullinish. Looks quite exciting but the strong southerly winds and the aspect of this area made it no go today, so we headed North for an hour and fish some Marks at Staffin and Aird on The North East of the island.

Fishing was slow at Staffin and after a couple of hours we accepted the mark had beat us and we headed back round to the west of the peninsula to a mark we had spotted on the way up at a place called Aird.

The mark itself was pretty easy access and the scenery was simply stunning. We fished a couple of hours and managed a few pollack between us. The fishing was not amazing but we did manage Pollack to four and a half pounds and we learnt a new mark which Im sure the rest of the bass club will enjoy when we return in Mid July.

Highlight of the day was seeing a Minke whale feeding not far out in front of us. Fingers crossed for some better weather in the morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 The Rhubarb Peninsula (AKA Miffs Shaft).

Well day three started very negatively really. I woke about half eight, looked out the window and couldnt see more than a 100 yards. Thick fog and raining.

Looking at the forecast it was giving similar most of the day and winds from West South West which made me think we should look for an east facing coastline to get some shelter.

Staffin looked the obvious spot but I hate fishing the same places over and over again just because you heard someone once caught a fish there. On an Island like Skye there are just so many fishing opportunities and if your prepared to get a bit off the beaten track you just know your going to be fishing somewhere that hasnt seen may fishing rods before, if any.

We picked a mark off the ordinance survey map between Portree and Staffin. Arriving before low it looked a great place but i really felt the best of the fishing wouldn't come until the tide had been flooding an hour or so.

We hung around untill a couple of hours into the flood and Miff tried one of many peninsulas sticking out into the sea. Before I could get to him he had managed 4 decent pollack upto 5lb. The next hour to 90 mins was frantic with pollack at you every cast. Plenty of fish upto around 5lb and I hooked into a much better one which gave a great scrap but sadly I bullied him a bit much and my braid parted before I could get it ashore, estimated weight 7lb plus.

So another great days fishing, and the added bonus seems to be that when the wind and rain comes from the south, if you head to The North of the Island you can find shelter and better weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4 Photography And A Couple Of Hours Fishing

Today we awoke feeling absolutely knackered. Yesterdays trek had really taken its toll. With the sun out we decided on a day of sight seeing and photography rather than full on fishing.

We had a ride around the Island taking in the sights and snapping places such as The Iconic lighthouse at Neist Point.

After tea we decided on a few hours fishing. Sadly our options have been very limited by the fact we have no bait and you cant buy any for love or money anywhere on this Island. The places where you can find a mackerel or 2 have been put out of bounds by the prevailing southerly winds. I could really kick myself for this having been to the Island on 3 occasions to date and always finding bait in poor supply other than the millions of worms on the beaches.

We decided to go lure fishing for pollack again, hitting another quality mark half way into the flood tide our expectations were high but other than a couple of lost pollack close in they just never materialized tonight. Obviously this gets you thinking of how you could possibly blank on this Island. Perhaps it was the strong sunlight, but even as dusk fell the fish just didnt want to play ball. Thats fishing I guess. Fingers crossed for a few fish on Wednesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 Orbost On Loch Bracadale

with the wind finally swinging into the north this gave us chance to fish closer to our cottage and today's mark was Orbost on Loch Bracadale. This has become one of our favourite marks as it somewhere we have never blanked as yet.

The weather was sunny but the northerly wind made it a bit chilly to say the least. We fished roughly 3 to 4 hours and we have to admit the fishing was bloody difficult with only half a dozen fish to show for it. a strange observation from today was I caught 4 half decent pollack and all on the first cast of each new lure I tried.

After tea we went out again, Miff choosing to fish and myself opting to take the camera. We headed for Neist point as this was the first time it was possible to go there due to the weather. Miff said he caught fish all night and landed about 10 pollack and as many coalies as you could catch. Sadly there was no mackerel again which meant no bait fishing was possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 6 Roag, Orbost And Neist Point

Still without any bait we decided on a few hours chasing those illusive pollack again. After several hours at Roag and Orbost on Loch Bracadle we came away all but empty handed with Miff finding the only two fish of the session, a couple of small pollack upto 2 lb.

After tea we headed for Niest point again and were hopeful of mackerel with the sea looking flat came. Upon arrival we were greeted by a huge pod of dolphins feeding in the bay. What a sight to see.

We fished a couple of marks along the front of niest and then dropped into a new mark to us down the back of the lighthouse. The night resulted in as many small pollack and coalies as you could wish for and I had a half decent ling, a corkwing wrasee and a cod of about 3lb. We decide to take some of the fish home with us and for supper we had thai style spicey noodles with ling and hand dived scallops which we were lucky enough to have won in the Dunvegon town lottery earlier in the day.

We also kept about 8 coalies which Miff was insistent he was going to try for bait tomorrow. A stupid Idea I felt but he was adament on trying it regardless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 7 Roag Loch Bracadale.

After a long week I had decided on a lay in. I woke up mid morning to a message from Miff saying, Gone fishing back about half 12. I was sat chilling about mid day enjoying a coffee whilst browsing the internet, and Miff comes running in like a kid at christmas and announces the Billets as bait work a treat and hes had 2 good sized spurdogs and a pollack.

I got ready and we headed back to Roag where the following 4 hours were frantic on the fishing front. We managed roughly a dozen spurdogs and some pesky dogfish and a couple coalies. The Spurdogs gave quite a fight on light gear and on a couple of occasions they nearly pulled the Rod into the sea. The biggets of the spurdogs were caught by Miff and both falling to a billet head of all things, the largest going well over 13lb and making a personal best for Miff.

Tonight we have rounded off the holiday in style with a lovely meal out at the Edinbane Inn. Were heading back to Yorkshire in the morning and Ill be sad to leave this wonderful Island once again. But with only 4 weeks till we return with all The Whitby Bass club members Ill be looking forward to getting back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In summary weve had a tough week, fish at times were hard to find, but we worked hard and only had 1 day where we actually blanked. The lack of bait was a problem and we will certainly be more prepared on that front when we return in July. Highlights of the week have to be the Pollack session at Rhubarb Peninsula, and of course Miff's PB Spurdog of almost 14lb caught on the very last day of our trip.

In terms of species our catches were very diverse with : Spurdog, Pollack, Coalfish, Dogfish, Ling, Wrasse and even Cod making an appearance

The Island Of Skye is in my opinion one of the most beautiful and special places in all the world, and to see a couple of hundred Dolphins feeding in a bay right in front of you is something you wont experience at many other places in the UK.

2. deecee

deecee Blenny

Looks great Glenn . Looking forward to the next installment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Fantastic.. :)

4. bassman

bassman Administrator

Stunning pictures Glenn

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Genuinely, and I have said this before a few times, you quite honestly take some of the best photographs I have EVER seen. Colours are simply stunning.
    Beautiful stuff.
    Thank you for uploading.

6. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What cracking photos

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Stunning scenery and photos, Absolutely beautiful place

8. limpet

limpet Blenny

amazing pics, looks a stunning place to wet a line
    cheers

9. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Stunning photo's Glenn keep up the good work enjoy the rest of your trip :)

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Look forward to more pics like those they, re stunning. Good luck lads.

11. Mark

Mark Blenny

Looks awesome Glenn . Photos are incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Mark.

12. congerball

congerball Blenny

Stunning photos Glenn. Great write up. Looking forward to the next installment.

13. derm

derm Blenny

I've not had a lot to offer on this forum and post infrequently but have got to say wow, great report writeup!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

14. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

good work lads. counting the days now till were up there

15. Baramundi Bob

The places we found over the last 2 days have many options. Will be fun when we get 9 decent anglers on these marks to see just what can be done.

16. robq

robq Rockling

Very nice pics 8) thanks for sharing

17. Baramundi Bob

Supersonics video of our 2013 trip to Skye. Absolutely fantastic work from Kev.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17sodz_isle-of-skye-sea-fishing-with-the-whitby-bass-club_gaylesbian

18. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

how come you went to skye on the ferry ,
    does it take a while to get to skye from port glasgow on the ferry,
    whenever i have looked at ferrys to the islands its expensive and that many different tickets ,ie date of travel ,when you coming back its a minefeild,
    would save quite a lot of driving though by the look of it on the map where you could have a rest.
    looks stunning again and the pictures say it all ,thanks for sharing them will have to get up there this year.

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Stunning photos as normal Glenn, you guys really do make the most out of these trips :)

Ken

20. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great pictures Glenn. Fantastic work as usual... Looking forward to the full report.