1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bass 9lb 7oz!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats great rupert thanks for replying mate , Its summat that intrests me when floater fishing from a boat , eventually when i get me self sorted with me kayak its a technique i fancy trying for bass, cheers .......

2. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb fish Rupert and a nice picture too.It would have pride of place on the lounge wall if I had caught it :yes: :yes: (picture not fish :embarrass:) .It just shows there are a few big fella's kicking about,I thought some form of bait would be the best way of catching them.Respect mate a hell of a fish to a top angler :educated:

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Congratulations on your pb Bass Rupert, bet it stays in your memory forever. Great pic too with the best background a Bass like that deserves :wink:

4. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Thats a beauty - a big girl mind, not a big boy - anything over about 6lbs will be female.

Watch landing bass if you are not familiar with handling them - don't lenad them by the gills - you risk getting spiked by the gill cover. You can safely land one by gripping the lower jaw between thumb and first finger - just concentrate on gripping, not lifting, then if it thrashes, just GRIP, you'll get wet, but you can control the fish and hold it well, then just lift when there is a lull in the commotion! Bass don't have any teeth, just boney plates, so you have nothing to worry about in their mouth - but outside you do, gill covers, dorsal fin and anal fin all have SHARP, STRONG spikes.

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Great stuff Rupert. Well done mate. Keep the good work up :happy: :happy:

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Superb fish, congratulations.

7. newdave

newdave Guest

superb Fish Rupert, that magic 10lb mark is getting close :yes:

8. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

First off, great fish Rupert. :)

On the thorny point of handling bass...

I find big bass are not sharp on the gill plates at all, so getting them under the gills is not problem. Its the little ones you have to watch out for, as their spines and points are a lot sharper. Getting bass by the lower jaw in my experience is practically impossible. I made a careful note last time I was out to see how many fish I could grip in that way - in practically every fish the plug trebles got in the way. I'm trying to start using a lip grip, but the one I have (Berkley) doesn't like salt water and tends to jam open. Other than that, I tend lift them up by grabbing hold of the plug itself.

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert cracking fish well done don't you get fed up of all these fish pulling your string and do you need a apprentice's as i would like to apply for the job Ha Ha first come first served i can start anytime tightlines Alain