1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheMachine

TheMachine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Keep hearing good reports from this mark, it's on my door step and never fished it, I know it's between saltburn and skinningrove but where exactly or what is it. Is it the gully that can be seen on google maps??
    It's chucking plenty of fish out and I fancy giving it a go.

Any help???

2. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Bird Flight gulley can be seen on Google maps. Your best bet is to take a look before you try fishing it. Walk round from Saltburn as the tide's going out and you can't really miss it. Carry on to Cattersty sands and you'll see several marks that could be worth a chuck. Then walk back over the cliffs to get a different perspective. It make a nice Sunday morning walk followed by lunch at the Ship.
    The experts will probably tell you the best times to fish it.

3. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I been planning on having a look, walk the cliffs right along. Spend a day having a mooch. Did it not so long back from staithes to kettleness. Found a few places I want to try that people don't tend to go to, maybe a reason behind that tho

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Fish from the right hand side of the gulley , get into it as soon as you can on the ebb , maybe around half ebb or just a bit later I like it
    best on a tide between 1.5 to 1.8 mtrs with a decent lob on with colour in the water , you can fish it till 1.5 hrs after LW before walking off , its the first major gulley once you get round the corner of Huntcliff , don't fish it on a NW wind its like a wind tunnel

5. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

walking over the cliff to get a good look at it

also have a good look at seal goit/ bird flight gulley, dab hole & as groyne says

don't overlook cattersy & the anchor hole.

as Cliff says get there early & enjoy before it gets too busy, nice place but if its

busy a short walk to "marks within a mark" which also produce.

plenty of good bags & doubles from this area over the years.

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

In the same boat mate can have a walk sometime if you fancy it

7. TheMachine

thank you for the information chaps i will go out this weekend and have a look during the day time if the tides are at the right time

Pm for you Mike-t

8. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Just a warning, the UK pro surf tour is at Saltburn this weekend, so it might be a tad busy. Low water's about 11:20 on Sunday morning and it's a 0.8m. Set off about 9:00 and all should be revealed.

9. TheMachine

Would it be a beeter idea to park at skinningrove and walk along then?

10. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Few photo's from Huntcliffe. Camera battery went before I got a closer shot of Seal Goit but its there in the top of the Birdflight pic. Some other interesting smaller gulley's and runs on the way round which might be worth a chuck including where the old sewer pipes were and Penny Hole.

Alan/Brian, whats the reason behind fishing from the right hand side of the gulley and not the Saltburn side?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick

11. ste muir

ste muir New Member

You can fish the left hand side also but you wont be able to follow the gulley right out. Its best if you fish the right side though as there are a few chucks you can try at the bottom of the tide. And its a pain when people are fishing both sides as tangles more than often occur,so be advised and stick to the right.

12. TheMachine

So in the photos which photo is bird flight and bare fleet etc, thank you for putting those on.

13. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Both the same mate. On the OS map the main gulley is called bird flight but locally its known as Bear fleet and don't ask me why because I aint got a clue

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Thats an easy one to explain, Bird flight is called bear fleet locally because of the local twang in the dialect ;)

15. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Well you live and learn Foo thanks for that

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I intend having a go off the cliff top into bird flight , I do like a challenge ! many years ago some anglers used to maroon themselves
    in among the boulders above the HW mark and they had some great catches , I think most of the boulders have been buried in shale
    over the years , Its a long walk but you can access the gulley from Skinningrove earlier than walking from saltburn

17. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

"Its a long walk but you can access the gulley from Skinningrove earlier than walking from saltburn"

Is it closer from Skinningrove? Doesn't look much in it?

If not closer is it just that there is a later cut off point? If so where?

How long (roughly) into the ebb can you get round and how long after low water do you have to start the walk back to Skinningrove?

Do you park in the small car park before the jetty and then walk along the beach? Or can you get closer somehow?

Am I walking past better marks?

All help much appreciated

18. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

you can access the gulley from Skinningrove earlier than walking from saltburn

Hence the preference to fish it from the right !

years ago doc/hirem holiday would have emptied the gully of fish before anyone from

saltburn side got anywhere near it.

cliffs right about sitting it out over high tide, 70,s /80,s were the good times for fishing this mark

good bags & doubles, may be neglected now by us elder statesmen, but I cant

imagine that any intrepid young uns don't still fish it over high .

19. fatty

fatty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

foo whats the original name? we all call it bear fleet us grovers as u know,but the name it was called many years ago was bells flats,ask doc lol, question other lads were askin? when can u get round there? the answer is,any time 4m skinningrove side even high water iv done it 100s of times,iv ad many big bags over high 2 down 2 low,not big tides mind,and not real heavy cos u wont b able 2 hold bottom at high tide :)

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Not sure mate I'll ask super next time I see him ? As for the rest of it you could catch cod in the beck ;)