1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BARBEL ON THE SWALE

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by woody, Jan 15, 2008.

1. woody

woody New Member

any of you guys fished the swale for barbel if so whats your best fish ? :happy:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Re: barbel on the swale

Last time I fished the Swale for Barbel was back in 1998 I think, biggest I had was 7lb 8oz. Not exactly a record breaker but they are beautiful fish so I was happy, really should give Barbel fishing ago again but always seem to be fishing for something else :gum:

3. woody

woody New Member

i know what u mean been wanting to target them for years only tend to go for the pike tho :happy:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

exactly, I find it hard to go fishing for barbel when I can go surface lure fishing for Pike instead. Perhaps if barbel hit luncheon meat the same way as Pike hit lures then it may be a different story :cheesy:

5. woody

woody New Member

the fight is a lot better :yes:

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, it's all good sport :yes: I did intend to do a bit of Barbel fishing on the Swale last year but ended up fishing for Pike/Chub (can't help myself!). I'll try and make more of an effort though this year as Barbel are a very nice fish.

7. woody

woody New Member

topcliffe mill is good for them try a 10 mil hair rigged halibut pellet feed a mix of hemp n caster you should get a few on that also try to get the river as it falls from a flood :wink:

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Woody, will get my backside in gear and get down there

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

My fave place for the barbel was always Boston Spa on the Wharfe. Big chub and grayling too.

10. woody

woody New Member

neva fished the wharfe carpy is there any pike in it ?

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

yes i think so, certainly in the Boston Spa area, not sure how big they go tho

12. woody

woody New Member

i have heard the strech of nidd at little ribbston is worth a shot for pike heard of a 30 last year :surprise:

13. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Afternoon All,

I've done quiet alot of barbel fishing up and down the country and have found the Wharfe and the Swale are the most productive from the Yorkshire rivers in terms of quality and numbers.

Anywhere around the Boston Spa area on the Wharfe will produce both Barbel and Pike to a decent size (barbel 10lbs+ and pike to over 20lbs). With regards to the Swale the Leeds book has a very good stretch around Topcliffe but if you are looking for a day ticket stretch Cundall Manor is worth having a look at (gets very busy in the summer).

I majority of the time I use pellets or boilies hair rigged to a size 8 hook to 10lb main line and an open ended feeder with crushed pellets in. When the water temperature drops, I tend to use either a maggot feeder or I'll wrap some paste around my pellets or boilies as I have found that pellets don't break down as well when the temperature is below about 46.

I have found recently that the most productive time to fish for barbel is after a good bit of rain has gone into the river and the levels are on the drop (if the river is carrying alot of colour, that's even better). If the temperature of the water drops below about 42 you may be better targeting the pike or chub if you want to catch a few fish.

Hope that is of some help, if there are any questions I can help with please feel free to drop me a line.

All the best,

Tim

14. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Sorry - I forgot to add.

The Nidd around Little Ribston has produced a number of decent size pike over the last couple of years. They are not there in number but if you do a bit of searching around the rewards can be great. Another place you may want to have a look at for Pike is the River Ure round Bishop Monkton and Lower Dunsford.

Newby Hall stretch of the Ure has produced a number of decent size pike for me and holds plenty of jacks to keep you busy.

Thanks,

Tim

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Done a lot of barbel fishing in Yorkshire mostly on the Swale around Aisenby/Cundall/Helperby, and the Nidd around Kirk Hammerton - plenty of fond memories but I haven't been for two years as I'm mostly sea fishing - but I must say I miss it, there's nothing quite like the fight you get from a barbel, I just loved the "witching hour" on a summers day when everything calms down and the light starts to fade fishing in a few pre-baited swims close to the willows, when your rod twitches with line bites you know the tip will take off soon and then the mother of all fights - absolutely fantastic - I will try to get a few sessions this year

16. woody

woody New Member

i quint nice at aisenby and the oxbow it cundall manor used to hold some good bream as does the mill pool at topcliff i used to be a member of thirsk angling club we had a stretch the opposite side to cundall manor and cheers for the great info tim

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

My biggest barbel was bang on 11lb - caught from thornton bridge in July 1989. went wice last year and just managed 1 4lber from Cundall. Going to be trying again when the weather warms up

18. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

There youse to be a free strech at side of bridge at top cliffe,i youse to cast to other side of river under willows and trot down to bridge just before bridge bang barbel every time,lot of water gone under bridge sice then,i youse to youse michell atomaticks,reel that is,that barbel fishing is some think else ey. :canadian:

cheers bob.

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I fully intend to do some Barbel fishing on the Swale this year, quite fancy a bit of Chub fishing on Tees as well.