1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BAIT PUMPS FOR LUGWORM - Slim Or Wide Bore ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Been reading the bait pump topic about the prices of pumps. Something I have been wondering a while is why are there different diameter pumps ? which are best ?

Please forgive my ignorance but its not something we use a lot up here with us targeting mainly blow lug.

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

I am almost sure the commercial baiters use smaller bore pumps that your average bloke.I stand to be corrected but i'm pretty sure they are only successful for blacks and yellow tails.I had a go with mine on my local turf a few years ago with very little success,someone in the know told me the sand was far too hard and they work better in softish sands.I am itching to have another go at it and a kind Brid lad has agreed to show me all there is to know...tight lines

3. mww

mww Rockling

Just seen this on the NESA site - looks like a wide bore pump - guy makes it look pretty easy, but the sand looks a good bit softer than we get most places round here. Good sized worms, though!!

http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-fishing/16985-vid-pumping-black-lug.html

Mart

4. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

slim bore 1 inch

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

ive heard slim works better :wink:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Can`t beat a fork .....the thing with bait pumps when they need lubricating , which apparantly they do , alot of people tend to lubricate with washing up liquid :scare: which in turn may polloute or does polloute ? the worm beds , not sure of how true it is , but heard the same thing from a number of people who are in the know.......?

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

I heard the same Dav, but most of the guys i know who use em use vegetable oil which is supposed to be far more eco friendly.Come and have a dig on one of my places with a fork Dav and you will change your mind :snore: :wink:

8. baza

baza New Member

ive been using the slim one i bought a couple of years back on a little patch i know. im hitting about 1 in 2 maybe 3. it works best when the sand is wet. i lube it before i go and with seawater when im on the beach.im practicing with it more than anything and still taking a spade with me. im thinking the bigger bore one might give a better success rate. these are black lug and not blow. i think i paid about £35 for my slim bore alvey.

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

My patch is enough for me smokester.... :happy:....what type of ground are you pumping em off like smokey ?

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

MWW's tanks Dav :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :wink:

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

:cheesy:

12. Baramundi Bob

Nice one mart, I love that Genesis song :yes:

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=4feed13850f9ecb7a46c7c&skin_id=601&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

13. Baramundi Bob

So why the different bore sizes ?

14. macky

macky New Member

For diffrent ground glenn

in beaches with a few pebbles like ours a slim line pump is no good as the pebbles get jammed in the tube
    a larger bore pump is more effective.
    i prefer the large bore ones as they move more ground, which gives u more chance of removing a worm IMO

and the lads with bad backs move less ground with a small bore :laugh:

15. Baramundi Bob

How about 1 for a beach full of boulders ? :whistle:

16. macky

macky New Member

a jCB might be better glenn :laugh:

17. Baramundi Bob

Theres a thought :wink: :laugh:

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

It's called Cps,Glenn :wink: :happy: :whistle:

19. mww

mww Rockling

...cps is like a mini-digger compared to the beast that is Jerra....the JCB-GT!!! :yes: :yes:

Mart

20. tri-star

tri-star New Member

big bore stainless 29.99 ulrome skipsea attick if ya only looking for a couple hundred blacks and yellas :wink: but only in summer time