1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bait in the Scarborough area

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by fishtail, Jan 8, 2018.

1. fishtail

fishtail Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I haven't sea fished for a few years now but would like to give it a go again.
    Last time I bought bait it was from Pritchards or the Kiosk near the harbour, both long gone now.
    So, the question is where do you guys buy your bait and what is the current favourite for rock fishing between Marine Drive and Robin Hoods Bay?

2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Search site for bill costins threads scbro tackle dealer

Some used it for bait etc.

Usual venues from Rhb to marine parade will be producing just

Look at returns from recent match cloughton way in December.

3. fishtail

Thanks navmanfish.
    Hoping to give it a try this weekend family permitting.

4. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Squid has been doing some damage around scarborough, i had two sessions last week using cart / razor and had nowt - lad to me left had 9 fish - lad to my right had 12 fish upto 5lb biggest... both using squid

Nick gough on west pier , bill costin near golden ball pub or gb angling on victoria rd for bait.

pritchards ! thats going back... here's a beauty of a pic from many moons ago.

pritchards.jpg pritchards.jpg

5. navmanfish

Also used to be decent bait at bridli gton kiosk years ago if your that way

Unit among harbour area also.

6. fishtail

Thanks faraday,
    Now squid is a bait I have tried but never had a touch on.
    It's always been mussel/lug or crab baits that have done the business for me.
    But it has been a few years since I wet a line.
    Do GB sell fresh bait?

7. faraday

Not sure on fresh, bill costin does though i believe.
    Most suppliers of squid will be frozen and dont bother imo with the tesco fishmongers stuff as i was told it is bleached / pre washed.
    Gb sell frozen blacks, but this time of year i aint too sure what they got in, best to call them graham or margaret.

you could always get the fork out and dig some worm possibly, i ain't bothered for a couple of years tbh

8. faraday

I thought he had packed up ? could be wrong like

9. robq

robq Rockling

The fish were turing their noses up at cart, green crab, mussel and razor baits a few weeks back in favour of plain unwashed squid ;)

I was outfished by 3 fish to 7 because I was persisting in adding other baits to the squid as I didnt have the confidence to fish it plain !!

Lesson learned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. faraday

Yes Rob, a couple of sessions - lads were using full squid on pennel next to me even pulled in a decent size whiting which wasn't hooked...
    The full squid was half jammed in its gut. They were going mental on it.
    I had a session off holbeck over the ebb sunday night and not a touch on cart, razor and blacks. water was a bit clear though.
    I used to use squid a lot as a base bait and then add to it,,, a year ago cash n carry told me it wasn't £1.80 a box anymore - now double so afraid to say i drifted off it. Thinking about it - that's still good value for money in comparison to other baits tbh and i have made a mistake too.

11. navmanfish

Re:cost of squid ,

Poor weather etc has led to cost rising to @ £3:50 a 1lb packs from usual on line bait,

Baits r us etc etc.

No bulk 1lb box/ packs as of late.

Hard to understand when fishing news had record catches up in Scottish waters,

Sea angler catch item showing large squid took by shore angler & up to 30 caught per rod

Per session (new whitting bashing). down south.

Even cuttlefish supplies low until Feb/march.

Prices to come back down when supplies improve

12. faraday

I used the calamri type in the blue and white box from cash n carry. I would buy 10 boxes and prep my winter baits - with a thumb size piece of cart inside then stuff the head back in - wrap tight like a sausage using clingfilm then back in the freezer. Had results with them baits, after the cart has washed out slowly you still had a squid bait left.
    Guy in cash n carry told me over a year ago that the catch quotas had been reached hence the price increase, but it never went back down !

Last time i was in bill costins, he was selling cockclams i think they were called ? i tried that and had results - i did read somewhere in the past that lads up ne scotland swear by them ?

13. navmanfish

14. navmanfish

[​IMG]

even have "big cliffs" rock sinkers.

15. faraday

Yes, nick is still on the go, i will prob stock up on some of that unwashed squid when i am down there next.

16. fishtail

Thanks for the tips on where to get bait.
    Just stocked up at Skylark Tackle.
    Nick not always there but a phone call and he will be.
    Just need a decent sea now to stir things up.