1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bait Fridge/Freezer Alarm and Tips

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ian Alexander, Dec 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello lads,
    I've just been reading a post in the chat section about the bad luck that brigg boy has had with his new fridge freezer and because I have also had the same problems in the past I thought I'd share some info that I have and what works for me now.

The older fridge freezers had two compressors, one for the fridge and one for the freezer and because they were independant all was fine.
    The modern fridge freezers have only one compressor.....in an attempt to make them "greener" and more efficient.

The problems start once the temperature outside the fridge drops close to or below what the fridge thermostat is set at then the compressor stops as it has no need to cool the fridge compartment. As a result the freezer temperature starts to rise as the compressor is not operating.
    The first you know about it is when you open the freezer and all your hard work during the summer months has gone to waste and your confronted with a freezer full of mushy crab!!!!
    As most of us keep our bait fridges in the garage, shed or outhouse then this failure is not uncommon during the colder months.

You can use a heater in the garage or shed to raise the temperature to a point where the fridge will operate, this is a pain though and also expensive. I now have a separate chest freezer just for my bait and a separate fridge, this system works for me in my garage and I no longer have any problems.....touch wood!!

Because I get a bit paranoid about my freezer and fridge now I have fitted a freezer/fridge alarm also. It was less than £20 and when it goes off I can hear it beeping inside the house. Here's a few photos.

Temperature Sensor Fitted In The Fridge Or Freezer Compartment

[​IMG]

Control Alarm Unit Positioned Outside The Fridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sensor photo you can see I have fed the wire through a hole but in my new fridge I have just fed the cable out through the door rubber and this has no adverse effect on the fridge performance.

I hope that this is of some interest and help fellas.

Regards Ian

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Most of the modern combined units are as described above and do go off, mine has meaning that I lost all my mackeral and coarse fish baits, makes a real fish soup when mackeral foes off and its been left a couple of weeks

Beko do a fridge/freezer specially for garages that work well in the cold damp conditions that garages usually produce, going to scource one for my baits and fillets this christmas time so we'll soon find out how costly they are to buy

3. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i dont have that problem , i got my hands on a mint fuzzylogic, the only prob i have is having to heat the fishing domain when zero temps hit and the fridge goes down with the outside temp, this can be a bloody pain with trays of yellows and blacks, but the freezer stays right :yes: :yes:

5. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

I have just bought a Beko freezer which is designed to work down to temperatures of -15 Degrees C. They also do a Fridge Freezer, but i have always liked to have seperate ones for that reason of only 1 compressor.
    Cheers Col.

6. bow1

bow1 Rockling

i too had problems with a combine fridge/freezer and got shot,now have old but separate units ,no probs up to n ow.

7. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

very interesting that ian,thanks for the information.................looks like a rather expensive mistake for me :gum: :gum:

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

9. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

guess who read this post 1st time round and said to myself.......mmm thats a good idea i will have to do that just in case...

i never ever got round to doing it..... :( :( :( and believe me i am regretting it now.... the cold temps earlier this week must have knocked the compressor off on my fridge freezer in the shed and last night after work i went in to grab a few peeler and some cart... and everything was defrosted :'( :'( :'( :'(

the worm, mussel and squid will re freeze no problem but there goes all my frozen crab... i have re-frozen crab before and caught fish on it but looking at these crab it looks as if they are knackered... they have that smell about them...

i have nowt to loose by refreezing them and using them maybe on a second rod as a bulking bait or in the rivers after flatties instead of throwing them...

hopefully some of you reading this will be saved the trouble and hassle of loosing bait like i have... so take heed lads the cold weather is coming and dont get caught out like me....especially if ya freezer is full of crab..

on another note also stored in the bottom draw of the freezer is my lads stock of rabbits for his ferrets.... looks as if they are gonna be sick of rabbit for the next few days.... how fat can a ferret get?? ;) ;)
    cheers
    Paul

10. bow1

bow1 Rockling

bugger paul thats a twat!!!happened to me a while back thats why i got rid if fridge freezer and got single units.jo probs since touch wood!!!

maybe ill fit an alarm ti be safe.

mickll have to get his ase digging to byild.up a stick worm.hes afa a car if u see owt!!!

may get some weather tom/mon ill be out if u wanna join me

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2