1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BAIT FISHING FROM A BOAT - What Rigs Should I Use ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by cassshantia, Apr 17, 2009.

1. cassshantia

cassshantia part timer but enjoy every minute

what is your favourite method of bait fishing when the water is murcky ?
    i have used baited pirks mostly as i found this much easier to pull away from snags,and im not quite there yet with the experience for complicated rigs ,as i did mostly charter fishing and the worst thing is for some numpty to release a load of line to tangle you up with
    have you any ideas what i can use when off on our own and not worry about snagging your mate
    thanks

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: bait fishing

I copy killers rigs which are about the simplest you will ever see. I had my 20 pounder on one the other week, Ive also had Ling to around the 30lb mark. Forget all these fancy boom rigs you see in the mags, they are for tackle tarts.

He uses a length of 100 lb+ mono. Tie a loop in the line. The loop should be about 6 - 8 inch long. He puts the loop through the eye of a 7o oshaugnessey and passes it over the hook. This attaches the hook to the loop which acts as the snood. About a foot below the loop goes your lead. Tie the lead straight on - no swivels needed. About a foot above the loop he attaches the trace to your mainline with a swivel. Ill try draw a picture for you.

That's it - Game On.

3. cassshantia

a pic would be good ta
    glenn

4. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

ya better draw a pic glen hes not the brightest lamp in the street!!! ha ha

5. cassshantia

fof to the valley of the puffs

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I was just thinking how to explain this lol it's exactly the same as me - but me being me I put an extra loop and therefore snood on. Worked a treat the other day, Aid got his three timer on this very rig with a shad and leader clipped onto the weight as well :happy:

7. Baramundi Bob

And Im no Van Gaugh - This should be a laugh :laugh: :laugh:

8. Baramundi Bob

Ok Don't Laugh.

[​IMG]

9. newdave

newdave Guest

nice picture :yes:
    so now for a daft question Glenn

no rotten bottom or weak link what happens when you come tight ? dont you loose half your line ?

10. cassshantia

thats ok that glenn thats what i had in mind but i thought with the loop been like that it would twist and snag twist and snag(song in there somewhere)
    cheers for the info tight lines

11. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Glenn is a top fisherman no doubt, but there is a big problem with this rig from a boat.

Alan

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Go on alan it hasnt got any bait on the hook.

13. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Neap tides fishing in water less than 30m maybe....

Alan

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

yep i can handle that :wink: seems strait forward to me if you get snagged in the wreck more offten than not you loose the lot any way :whistle: just tie a new swivell to your main line and clip on your new rig,of wich you will have at least ten made up if you prepare properly :yes: looks good to me :cool:

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I dont even have a barrell swivell i just have a loop which clips straight onto my snap swivell on my main line simple rig less snags but very affective eveybody has there own way of doing things but i like to keep it simple.

paul.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

17. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

That is one hell of a drawing of a bell lead! Looks almost like a photograph.

18. eto

eto Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi All

Must admit that's one helllllllllll of a drawing (as that Norski geaser said when his team beat England all those years ago!).
    He's some boy that B B feller!
    Even etched in the makers name on the lead - now that's SKILL.
    Give that man a Blue Peter Badge.

eto

19. Patterdale

Patterdale New Member

Nice picture Glenn and a simple rig too.

My only question to that would be what if your weight got snagged, as

previously said would'nt you lose your main line as well.

Dont fancy losing my braid reel line each time I snag on the bottom,

I use similar only with a 25lb 3"rottom bottom to attach my weight to.

Worked a few times last week when only the weight/hook length snapped

and i got my trace line back.

Weights hooks i can afford to lose, but not braid each time.

My thoughts anyway whats your on this method.

Doug

20. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i was out wiv bigcod last week and thats exactly wat he used like he said its simlple. and very fast to re-rig up if u run out, no need for swivels, and ithink he got snagged once all day, and had a fish on the end wen he pulled it up lucky b*stard :educated: