1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad News For Tees Peeler Crab Collectors

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Just received the following email from Stuart Mcpherson who is the angling rep on the local Sea Fisheries IFCA. Looks like bait collectors on the Tees may be in for a rough ride. Of significance is point number 3.

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

the tyres that are there do nothing to the envirament, some have been there for twenty years, they dont rot, they just sit there, wot exactly do they think they are going to do, because i think the expence required to shift them, and the damage they would do trying to shift them would be imeasurable, why is some numpty in a suite messing with my livelyhood :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

3. Baramundi Bob

Because the commercial fishing industry is dieing, the men in suites are looking at ways to keep themselves in a job. Managing sea anglers is their goal. Bait collecting on the Tees has been on the agenda for NESFC/NEIFCA for some time. I've mentioned it here a few times but not many people take any notice. Bit by bit they will end up managing all aspects of our sport. Thankfully we will have enjoyed our best years in the sport before its completely unrecognizable from the sport you took up many years ago.

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i have read it all glenn, but you know how things like this boil my p i s s ,,and i find myself unable to post about such things, because i find it hard to keep changing swear words, i just cant see them doing anything about the tyres we have, theres just too many of them , they would have to fork out a fortune to remove them, causing loads of damage along the way, talk about protests for ww, i would lay on every one of my tyres while they try to take them away :happy: wot are the gonna do, nowt i tell thee

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Wouldnt be surprised if they dont do a scientific study into the affect that the Tyres are haveing on the breeding sites of the Tees Crabs.
    These studies usually take 3-4 years so if you start telling these people what you have seen over the years while collecting these breeding crabs.
    Wonder if the boffins sat in the office are going to replace the tyres with rocks imported from a foreign country.
    Instead of wasteing time on pointless things like this why dont they repair our sea defences and piers. :angry:

6. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

tees and hpool commision where going to stop it years ago after complaints by the boatmen of damage to boats sitting on them at low water, and tyres floating about in the river even had a warden then tony taking reg. no.s of people crabbing and putting tyres down.
    but it ran its course, know these are different jobsworths so we will have to see what happens :sad:

7. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

I think it would be difficult for them to replace 5000 mini environments, with a compatable replacement. Like Paul says they dont rot, they are only visible for 3-4 hours a day, less on slack tides if at all. The cost of removing and recycling them would be expensive aswell. I have had tyres in the Tees for over 30 years, and the crabbing has not declined at all, it has always remained a stable collecting area i would say. Crabbers are inovative, if the tyres go, then i'm sure other forms of mini environments will replace them.
    Good news on the Edilbles for bait though.
    Cheers Col.

8. Jem

Jem Blenny

Funy how things pop up, while digging Monday there was 1 or 2 doing tyres and there was a suit down in a yellow flourescent jacket. He walked along the tyres that were uncovered by the tide even to the extent of going over behind the mussel beds nr the river channel. Now I thought this strangley odd and the above post by Glen might just explain why he was down, he didn't look like the local fisheries officer,(from distance anyway) he even stopped to talk to a gent who was digging (won't say where exactly not many know about the spot)on his way back. He wasn't down long and he certainly didn't park where everyone else does as he left towards the old wooden pier/jetty area nr the boat lads cabins.

9. kencoddy

kencoddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when thay stop crabbing digging will b next

10. Baramundi Bob

I wonder what it is they are "concerned" about.

11. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I think i am right in saying you are only aloud to collect 10 crabs per day/tide so maybe they will try and enforce this law more strictly, i would say this would make you easy prey knee deep in water

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I will be alright then that's more than I have been finding in a week :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:

13. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

correct me if im wrong.but haven't some artificial reefs made from tyres been created in the past?

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its all been said before so we will have to see what happens , the thing is removing the tyres will cause more problems than what it will solve , people will go back to turning boulders over , the bad news is quite a few the boulders wont be replaced the way they were so
    destroying habitat , and thats a fact , of course the men in grey suits wouldnt know about that , its just about maintaining the jobs
    for the boys , but one thing for sure I will continue to put some home scourced peeler on my hook :yes: :yes:

16. Baramundi Bob

They could just ban or limit bait collection in that area, that way no-one will be turning boulders. The NEIFCA is always looking at ways to keep its employees in work.

17. Baramundi Bob

Only partly right. That law only applies to red crab and velvets.

Why do they want to protect velvets when they are not natural to our waters and they have driven green crab off the open foreshore ?? Also thousands of velvets get smashed up on a daily basis and used as bait in crab and lobster pots. Once again I firmly believe the answer is not about conservation but more about keeping their staff in work.

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Jobs for the boys Glenn , jobs for the boys, I suppose if things get really bad we will have to have a look in the Esk , weve
    heard theres plenty of tyres in there

19. rubbish

rubbish New Member

a friend of mine was told a couple of weeks ago by the enviro agency that the tyres had been photographed at low water, he said the ones there are ok ,but no more can be put in.

20. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

livelyhood?????? How many peelers do you get at the sinter plant paul :laugh: :yes: