1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back on the water

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by V8_Rob, Nov 25, 2011.

1. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

It was my first trip in over 3 months when started fishing on the Saturday. I fished about a mile offshore, the tide was small at just over 9m so I wasn't expecting great things. I think I launched around 8am and despite the the forecast of a light SW breeze the wind was a firm easterly which pushed a steady swell down the channel. Happily this eased off off after a couple of hours and conditions were very pleasant.

[​IMG]

I was hoping for some Cod, though despite a small fish on the very first drop they failed to show throughout the session. It turned out to be a conger fest with 17 fish between around 7-25lb coming to the kayak, though the average fish was around 10-12lb. No complaints though, the action was fast and furious, I never get that tired of catching Conger. I caught too many dogfish and 4 Bullhuss around 3-5lb. I spent around 8 hours on the water that day, an enjoyable day for sure.

[​IMG]

Sunday saw me launch around 9:30, fishing closer into the reef in the hope of some Cod. A few of the guys showed up a little later and at one stage there were 5-6 kayaks on the water. The fishing was a bit slow though I eventually managed 3 codling between 5-7lb and a few small conger. There were plenty of whiting hammering the baits and I'm sure I'd have bagged up quite a few if i'd targetted them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Thornbacks were thin on the ground though I picked up a single fish later in the afternoon. Come to think of it, I had a small one the day before.

[​IMG]

I fished until until the sun had gone down with Oggy for company. No complaints, another very enjoyable day.

[​IMG]

I was a bit later launching on Monday, around 11am if memory serves me right. Again, I fished off the reef in the hope of some Cod. Plenty of conger and a couple of thornback with the whiting hitting the baits as the flood tide eased off. As the tide turned I noticed my torn suit, 30 minutes later I took a swim.....

I think it was Sunday night when I was taking images and videos off the SD card.... half asleep... 'select all'.. 'delete'... 'ok'... WTF!!!!. not impressed. I re-used the card the next day though I've since found a piece of recovery software that works very well with SD cards, too late for that day though!

Here's a mixed video clip from over the weekend... best watched in 720HD full screen
    Blue Anchor Nov 2011

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Tell you what you've got some good fishing down there, 17 Conger! Excellent sessions you've had there Rob and thanks for sharing, shame it finished with the torn drysuit incident but all is well.

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I was quite impressed with the military precision you seem to ready your kayak :yes:
    and i didn,t know you could stow so much gear inside the Kayak :gum:

loved the Video, very professional, were you in the military or emergency services,
    and the fishing looked great :cool:

4. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

Cheers, I'm in the Navy