1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avante Boat Fishing Survey

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 18, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:alien:

Posted on behalf of Avante Mick

As individuals we all have our own reasons and personal preferences when picking a fishing venue or chartering an angling boat

But if you were asked to give your 5 most important things you consider before choosing a venue and booking a charter fishing trip what order would they be in from 1 to 5?

Below I have listed a number of examples you may have different reasons this would be of great interest not only for me but most skippers I guess.

Please give your 5 reasons for choosing one port or boat over another, we really would love to hear your feedback.

Best wishes Avante Mick

Example: 1 Geoff Smith

1 The cost
    2 The boat
    3 The availability
    4 The amounts of fish caught on last trip
    5 The skipper

Example: 2 Reg Runcorn

1 duration
    2 boat facilities
    3 accessibility
    4 parking
    5 festivals

Example: 3 Andy Brown

1 on board space
    2 filleting service
    3 extra crew
    4 wrecking tides
    5 weekend dates

2. kayos

kayos Guest

Re: Avante quick survey request

Here are my answers Mick

1. Boat facilities.
    2. Helpfulness and friendliness of skipper/crew.
    3. Boat space.
    4. Previous catches.
    5. Good reviews.

For us it is the whole day's experience, partly because I always go with my partner(female). Packed boat, catching lots of fish but getting no help or support from skipper/crew and having no banter with those onboard is not really for us. However I fully understand catching plenty is important to most. Everyone is different I suppose. Or maybe it is just us that are different! :happy:

3. Groyne

Groyne Guest

1) Skipper

2) Boat

3) Availability

4) cost

5) Parking

I haven't been boat fishing for a long time. But at the end of the day it's all about the Skipper, if he's good he'll work hard and offer advice to get you fish.

4. Haka007

Haka007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Better Than All The Rest!

1- Deck Hand available - Someone who is not fishing to help out.
    2- Boat Facilities - A toilet can make a big difference! Fish Finder, also seating area that is not the side of the boat!
    3- The Skipper - Experienced or not at the end of the day everyone has to start somewhere.
    4- Boat Speed - This is not so important if there is a seating area.
    5- The Cost - This is at the bottom but is still important, however these days most prices are roughly the same give or take a couple of quid, so thats why the above are important as you get what you pay for :yes:

5. Haka007

1- Deck Hand available - Someone who is not fishing to help out.
    2- Boat Facilities - A toilet can make a big difference! Fish Finder, also seating area that is not the side of the boat!
    3- The Skipper - Experienced or not at the end of the day everyone has to start somewhere.
    4- Boat Speed - This is not so important if there is a seating area.
    5- The Cost - This is at the bottom but is still important, however these days most prices are roughly the same give or take a couple of quid, so thats why the above are important as you get what you pay for :yes:

6. Rapin

Rapin New Member

1. boat facilities (catch storage, cutting boards, seating, toilet, tea/coffee)
    2. the skipper
    3. extra crew
    4. weekend dates
    5. costs

Weather is also an important part of my booking decision as I have poor sea legs. An honest skipper who lets me know when confirming the trip that the sea maybe too rough for me will earn my trust. If I still choose to go fishing and get seasick I won't blame the skipper. From my past experiences many skippers told me the sea was fine even though the weather forecasts said otherwise. And as a result I didn't have pleasant fishing trips.

7. Howard

Howard Blenny

Hiya Mick ! I used to fish Whitby charters for many yrs with yourself , Killer , Dolly , Rich and Kevin and before that with Brian.

Never had any issues with cost , boats , service ever all 3 were always superb and I guess this is the result of having such a good association.

Apart from getting my own boat what used to put me off though was the cost of parking (used to go on me todd) I wouldnt pay so had to walk a long way, the closing of the toilets but the worst thing was the journey home through the villages north of Scarborough especially.

So basically parking and transport links. Me fish was very nr. jam sometimes. I did help when I started filleting it aboard though.
    Now then these minor -ve issues are down to the council (again) there lack of support to businesses that bring in ££££££ has been staggering from what I can see.

8. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For me the following..

1. A trustworthy , honest, Skipper.......a couple I have had the displeasure of fishing with have been tw@ts, who make fun of less experienced anglers , sit in the cabin all day,filthy boat, charge extortionate charter fees for not much service ,drag you 120 miles for a 6 am start to tell you "sorry lads its off,its too rough " when the evening before the weather forecast was bad, and when it had been pointed out to the skipper he said.... it will clear for 7 am and if you dont turn up you will lose your deposit. ( I could go on and on about this, and yes, Whitby has had just such skippers )

2. Cost. Not many of us are minted these days.I realise that a Skipper has to make a living, but I have stopped booking some boats on account of the Skipper living a lifestyle he does not earn.

3 . Boat facilities.... I can carry a flask of tea, I can use a bucket for a pee, I can sit / stand behind the wheelhouse to avoid spray when under way.I have waterproof clothing.
    I dont need a Creweman / Cooker /Toilet /Cabin..but can appreciate that some female / older anglers would.
    I do like to see decent rod stands out of the way of clumsy anglers, a deck hose, a livebait well, an area where tackle boxes are kept in place by a deck lip to stop them sliding around in rough seas.Decent Fish boxes marked with a number so you know whos is whos. When a deck is well laid out it makes the day so much more enjoyable, no tripping, stumbling, dodging sliding tackle boxes.. etc etc.
    I hate it when anglers cast across the boat when uptiding, it is dangerous and should not happen full stop. I suppose this one should come under category number 2 really.

For years I crewed for a skipper,out of a south west Port, he had a very tidy boat, well thought out deck space, it made mooring up, anchoring, netting fish, cutting bait, filleting,deck washing, etc so easy, both for me and the customers.

4. Fairly priced car parking /clean toilet facilities reasonably near to Harbour / Pontoon.

5 .Reasonably priced clean B&B close to the harbour / pontoon.

Hope this helps, I also realise that having been a crewman it makes me somewhat self sufficient,and therefore where an angler is only an occasional weekly or monthly visitor to,a boat he/she would like some of the things I consider superficial, and that here is no such thing as a perfect world.

Roger.

9. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For me the following..

1. A trustworthy , honest, Skipper.......a couple I have had the displeasure of fishing with have been tw@ts, who make fun of less experienced anglers , sit in the cabin all day,filthy boat, charge extortionate charter fees for not much service ,drag you 120 miles for a 6 am start to tell you "sorry lads its off,its too rough " when the evening before the weather forecast was bad, and when it had been pointed out to the skipper he said.... it will clear for 7 am and if you dont turn up you will lose your deposit. ( I could go on and on about this, and yes, Whitby has had just such skippers )

2. Cost. Not many of us are minted these days.I realise that a Skipper has to make a living, but I have stopped booking some boats on account of the Skipper living a lifestyle he does not earn.

3 . Boat facilities.... I can carry a flask of tea, I can use a bucket for a pee, I can sit / stand behind the wheelhouse to avoid spray when under way.I have waterproof clothing.
    I dont need a Creweman / Cooker /Toilet /Cabin..but can appreciate that some female / older anglers would.
    I do like to see decent rod stands out of the way of clumsy anglers, a deck hose, a livebait well, an area where tackle boxes are kept in place by a deck lip to stop them sliding around in rough seas.Decent Fish boxes marked with a number so you know whos is whos. When a deck is well laid out it makes the day so much more enjoyable, no tripping, stumbling, dodging sliding tackle boxes.. etc etc.
    I hate it when anglers cast across the boat when uptiding, it is dangerous and should not happen full stop. I suppose this one should come under category number 2 really.

For years I crewed for a skipper,out of a south west Port, he had a very tidy boat, well thought out deck space, it made mooring up, anchoring, netting fish, cutting bait, filleting,deck washing, etc so easy, both for me and the customers.

4. Fairly priced car parking /clean toilet facilities reasonably near to Harbour / Pontoon.

5 .Reasonably priced clean B&B close to the harbour / pontoon.

Hope this helps, I also realise that having been a crewman it makes me somewhat self sufficient,and therefore where an angler is only an occasional weekly or monthly visitor to,a boat he/she would like some of the things I consider superficial, and that here is no such thing as a perfect world.

I have just cut and pasted this across from Baramundi Bobs post.

Roger.

10. Haka007

Re: Re: Avante Boat Fishing Survey

Lol while your appreciating all this please also appreciate that female/ older anglers may not be the only anglers who need the likes of a crewman or toilet etc.
    ;D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

11. dmc

dmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi MICK

1 SKIPPER
    2 BOAT
    3 ON BOARD SPACE
    4 REVIEWS
    5 THE CRACK

Its just as important to me to have a day that makes me feel ive had a good trip ,a few fish is what i want ,a load of fish is fantastic but if i dont catch but have had a laugh during the day its just as good. In Whitby we have boats and skippers that can give you that experience,if its 3 hours mackerel bashing is what you want its there for you,or its a 10 hour wrecking trip Whitbys got it.

12. Baramundi Bob

Exactly mate, we all have different needs. Thats why an association with 18 boats is good for everyone. Each skipper offers something different.

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Theres only 1 thing i look for when booking a boat and thats the skippers record over the last year or two.

im not bothered about how many fish were caught in the last decade or the good old days. we all know how fishing/stocks can change over time. i want to know that the skipper is performing at the time i make my booking.

as glenn said were off to wales at the end of may and alot of research was done before hand on tides baits etc. we then looked online for the best boat/skipper in our opinion.

although its good to get on with the skipper and have a laugh, im there to catch fish not pay someone £50 for a chin wag.

The cost of parking doesnt bother me either. it is what it is.

14. jethro

jethro New Member

My list is as follows
    1/ The advertising of the boat....A good web site will always attract customers.
    2/ The skipper...... If he is a tryer thats important.
    3/ Comfort on the boat...... Ease of access and facilities come into this.
    4/ Knowledge from the skipper....The skipper telling you what bait/lures to bring without you having to ask (The night before)
    5/ Getting what you pay for...... A good days fishing.

All of the skippers I sail with will offer most of these services.

15. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

my list as follows :
    1} the skipper, i want to be on a boat whose skipper in my eyes is second to none i.e his knowledge of the area i know myself from previously owning a boat there is certain marks that fish at certain times. I want the skipper to be like me when i fished on my own boat if we go to a mark and there is no fish lets move and try somwhere else instead of sitting over a mark for hours with little reward ( had that happen at whitby before ) i know sometimes its gonna be crap where ever u go but in my mind better to have tried than not tried at all.

2} comfort, would be nice if there was a nice cabin to shelter when conditions get a bit snotty when traveling, i have good waterproofs but in this day and age you shouldn't be getting soaked when traveling.

3] storage space, somewhere to hold spare rods, tackle boxes and coolboxes , i know space is limited but taking a coolbox is paramount for me i love my fish never eat it unless i have caught it but why leave it sat in a fish box for ten hours in the summer sun {ha ha if it ever happens this year} people laugh and moan about the quality of fish in supermarkets on this site but what quality do they think there fish is after being rolling about in a warm fish box with its cuts still attached for ten hours. would be great if the boats had a fridge or something like that.

4) deckhand tricky one this, i have been fishing enough years that i know how to get out of tangles snags and land fish upto ten pounds but i appreciate that others don't, just think deckhands should look and asses certain anglers ability i will ask if i need help.
    5) parking would be nice if i could park for free the cost of a days fishing is getting higher and higher, justified in my opinion this is not a critisisum, just would be nice if non locals could be pointed in the right direction for free parking

16. Baramundi Bob

A great bit of thinking there Mick, you certainly know how to engage people. My reasons are below, they will probably differ from most. Primarily I will add I never pay for a trip in Whitby, but even if I was paying my thoughts would remain the same.

1. I would choose a trip on the skippers track record. I want to know Im on the number 1 boat with the best chance of catching fish. Nothing worse than arriving back on the charter pontoon at 5pm with an empty sack only to see the skipper on the next boat filleting non stop for his anglers. Although I sail for free in Whitby I would still pay a premium to be amongst the best fish. I would never pay £40 for a $hit days fishing just to save a tenner. No logic in that, but nor would I pay an extra tenner if the skipper couldn't come up with the goods. I know you can never garuntee fish but if I picked the right tide at the right time of year and the conditions were good then I would expect to have something in my box at the end of the day. Any less than half a dozen fish is a duff day in my opinion. with regrds to picking the best skipper, myself and the lads are going to Wales soon for a spot of boat fishing, Im told we have got the best skipper in the port. Watch out for our report.

2. Willing to change species and diversify tactics. Im bored rigid of cod fishing, shads or bait or otherwise, its old school. Dropping mackerel flappers into a a wreck for ling is not my idea of fun either, I hate it. Maybe the kayak fishing has done it for me but pollack and bass fishing knocks spots off cod hauled up from 200ft. I wish a Whitby skipper could offer something different. I guess to offer that you have to go through the process of building up a business. You have to show you can catch the fish on a regular basis. This type of fishing has more emphasis on sport than filling the freezer.

3. Deck hand / crew man, I would pay the skipper extra to keep his deck hand a long way away from me. No disrespect but I cant stand anyone in my zone with a big net. Ive always fished with Killer and never had a deckhand untill recently. Ive never needed their help and only expect someone to appear with a gaff when I shout for a gaff at the top of my voice. In the uptiding festival I had Pauls deckhand pushing me out the way everytime I hooked a fish, even if it was a 5lber. I like to have my own space and I like to see what happeneing rather than being pushed out the way. Fish upto 10lb I can handle with ease, and if they come off its my own fault, dont want some loony lashing at them with a gaff or a net unless I ask them to. The only time I want to see a crewman is when I have a 20lber laid at the side of the boat.

4. Well thats my main 3 reasons done, Im struggling now. Im willing to pi$$ or $hit in a bucket and throw it overboard so I dont need a toilet. I take sandwiches and a drink so no need for an oven or microwave or even a barbecue.

5. A toilet in the car park would be nice, Ive seen people pis$ing and even taking a dump on the wall near the Fleece all because Scarborough Borough Council pulled the toilets down. Cheaper car parking would be good too, but Im such a tight arse I never pay, there is parking on near by streets if you know where to look. I can always park within 5 mins of the pontoon.

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

1.Skipper and reputation
    2. Room/Space on deck
    3.Boat stability (nothing worse than dancing about because the boat is all over even in relatively slight seas.
    4.Car parking
    5. Toilets and hand washing facilities at the car park

18. Baramundi Bob

I guess you arent happy about the lack of toilets at Whitby then Foo. Its bad isnt it.

19. big chub

big chub Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1 skipper
    2 boat
    3 previous catches
    4 up to date fishing reports
    5 toilets (could the ones in the market square be opened early?)

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Yes its "disappointing" to say the least mate. I am local as you know so doesn't really affect me that much but for the guys that have a good drive home after a days fishing having a wash and freshen up before setting off home is quite important. The amount of revenue brought into Whitby by the anglers is massive, it's about time SBC realised that and catered for the anglers a bit more.