1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General asda petrol.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by navmanfish, Jun 19, 2017.

1. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

for info;

asda petrol used in o/b motors has caused a few saltburn, marske boats to

have had serious " gunging " effect on carbs, maybe effecting cars next?

carb o/h by techs said water/additive ? in tanks at station due course?

after o/h of 1st o/b non-asda petrol use -no problems, next 2 suffered

due to thinking it was a 1-off & used asda petrol.

this has been over a 6mth period.

last problem, last week.

o/b 10hp 4-stroke mercury, 20hp 4-stroke tohatsu.

30 hp , all newish engines.

2. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

always worth a change of supplier from supermarket stuff every 4th tank i do
    theirs is def inferior

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not just Asda Bry, all supermarkets fuel has an element of bio fuel in it and the bio fuel has a fair water content to it
    Not just petrol, diesel is the same
    Best off buying a branded fuel like BP or Shell won't add much to the cost of a days fuel money but long term it'll be better for the

motor, no AA out there

4. robq

robq Rockling

I had a nightmare after using petrol from a sainsbury petrol station a few years back. Was 8 miles from port when engine wouldnt start :eek: managed to get it started using choke and had to return to port on full revs as cutting out with anything less !!

I always run my carb dry after every trip and never use stale petrol ( goes in missus car if more than a month old )

I took outboard in for inspection and service and he could find nothing wrong ? just cleaned carb out and filled with fresh fuel and was fine

He told me to never ever use supermarket fuel !!

I only use BP ultimate now and have never had an issue since:)

5. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Had problems with with fuel filters on two occasions using Asda fuel haven't used it since and no problems, the RAC man said it was a common problem