1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these silkworms

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Dav, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

I initially thought these were just an orgy of caterpillars when i firts seen them then i noticed they were everywere in big clumps leaving what looked to be webbs everywere . could they be silk worms ?
    I also come across 2 foxgloves hidden away in amongst all the nettles and hogshwart :cheesy: defo nice to come across these bonny wild flowers in all the misery :cheesy: thought ide take a pic of it ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jonnyhaddock

jonnyhaddock eric the viking

The female Peacock butterfly lays batches of up to 500 eggs at one time and after a week or two the caterpillars hatch and spin a communal web (which you can just see in the background) in which the live and feed.
    They will shortly pupate and emerge as adults in July. When their main priority is to feed-up before winter hibernation in a dark crevice, shed or tree hole. Adults emerge again in Spring to mate and breed and it all starts all over again.
    some thing i copied and pasted

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Not 100% sure what they are but pretty sure they aren't Fox Glove.

As for the caterpillers, I think WTF! covers that nicely :happy:

4. andym

andym Rockling

Look like Peacock butterfly caterpillars dont know about the white flowers ID

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

HAHAHA . I actually thought i was 100% sure they were foxgloves sam thats why i never asked :laugh: :laugh:......So im assuming there not foxgloves then lol....
    cheers jonny haddock and andy , ill stick to fishing from now on .... :embarrass: :cheesy:

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nop, deffo not Fox Gloves. Still not sure what they are, want some in my garden though :yes: The flowers that is, not the nettles covered in spiderman's love wee!

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

They were bonny flowers , I only come across 2 tho sam in quite a few acres of land ....not that i was looking for them .... :kiss: :kiss: :laugh: :laugh: