1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are There Any Congers Off Our Coast?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by brian carragher, Feb 18, 2018.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Had a walk on the beach this morning and found this fellow washed up dead on the morning tide on Redcar beach

copy1.jpg

Wasnt there yesterday and theres no gill netters working from Redcar nor anywhere near for miles and miles away, no keel boats operating offshore and it wouldnt have got dumped overboard if they were

Must have been a local fish, measured at 5.5ft long and I reckon it would weigh at least 35lb, could have been more but I wasnt picking it up as it was starting to lose its skin a bit, would have been about 6 inch's in diameter so no juvenile

They're out there, just need to work out how to get them aboard and who knows, we might find more there than folk would think

2. basha

basha Blenny

i know and have heard of the odd conger coming of the whitby vessells,thats a good size eel that.i know banksie has had eels to 30lb off hartlepool in the past and heard of eels well over that from slightly further north.would deffo estimate that at 35/40lb.surprise turn up for the books.

3. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

Worked over ore terminal when the divers were there and they said they had seen conger, also fished east scaur once and got something that took off up and down scaur, tried to get george deloy to jump in and get it, :) but he wouldnt, snapped off after qtr hour

• Like Like x 1
  4. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Non this morning bri, plenty of mops with attitude on shads.

BIG mackerel flapper tried no joy.

Mbee scar/dimmi areas , ian Denny might know if any diving lads see any.

5. brian carragher

Got to admit , my opening question was a bit of a rhetorical one

I already know theres congers off our coast, plenty of them , its just that no ones geared up to catch them nor are any of the boats fishing in a way to get them aboard

Biggest conger that I know of was one landed at Whitby quay by one of the old keel boats fishing rock hopping gear mind you it was 30 odd years ago and that fish was 110lb gutted, theres a few strap congers get caught every year by rod and line anglers during the summer and a few come out to the uptiders during the winter fishing the hard ground under the cliffs during the winter

There used to be a few conger pots cast at low water on East scar and they used to get some decent ones, a fish of 20lb or so was took in a lobster pot a year or so back by Ian Threadgall fishing out of Redcar so they dont just maagically appear, they've got to be breeding and living off our coastline, divers have seen them around the rocks at Redcar poking out of their holes and living quite well, theres plenty been seen under the concrete edge of the South Gare breakwater really tight in to the waters edge and concrete where the rough poured concrete has formed holes over the slag foundations and wrecks when they were gill netted used to show a few fish every year

A group of us gave it a go during one of the Whitby fishing festivals and hired the Mistress for three consecutive days to give it a go, that was 2011 but no one else since has hadthe balls to give it a go and give up the cod fishing for a real chance of a blank

Video here

One of the guys (Bob Shotter) connected with something very big when we were anchored over a wreck of Whitby and what a buzz went round the boat ( Bob's the guy doing the video), now we all reckoned it was a conger but after about fifteen minutes he lost the scap as his gear parted, we reckoned the eeel got a grip of the wreck and wasnt coming out any more

To get the best out of the congering we need a few more anglers prepared to give it a go with the odds stacked against you and a blank more than likely, you need plenty of tide and to be anchored well uptide of the wreck and tempt them out, needless to say plenty of lead, anything from 2/3lb of lead needed to pin your baits on the deck for an eel

Theres been someone fishing the marina at Hartlepool and had a few out on mackeral heads and flappers and biggest so far from what I've been told is 14lb

Dare say I'll give it another go because as Rodney always said, " he who dare Rodders "

• Like Like x 1
  6. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would be up for that I wonder what time of year? I am guessing the summer time as I don't think we uptide in close very often then, we are usually wrecking. Maybe someone who is , as you say willing to anchor on a wreck might have more chance? let me know if you are getting a group together.

Ah ... just watched the video, silly me should have watched it first.:D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  7. brian carragher

Yep, it would have to be a summer time trip obviously when the mackeral are in for a supply of bait, lots needed on the deck to get a bait trail down , plenty of tide, I would look for a minimum of 4.8 and maybe 5.2/3 as a maximum and plenty of lead, say 2 and 3lb weights to nail the baits on the deck

Might have to have another chat with Rich about organising another go, I know he's keen but you need a party prepared to anchor up uptide of a wreck and try and tempt a fish out

Biggest obstacle to getting a like minded party together is trying to find enough folk to fill a boat who are prepared to spend their hard earned on a gamble that'll probably earn them a blank and ignore the easier prospect of cod fishing

8. scrubbs

I might mention it to Rich that I would be up for it next time I am out with him (soon I hope :)) we wouldn't dare do it at the summer festival....?? would we ?? Nah.... who would be that daft??:D.....maybe?
    He might be interested in a short notice i.e. no booking on a day on he could put it on his webpage/facebook if he had a list of willing barmpots I mean names? theres 2 anyway , brian and me:)
    There is always the possibility of combining the fishing, keep the prime time ( whatever that is? high tide? :confused: dunno) for the anchoring and maybe a couple of hours getting some cod/ling etc. on the drift.
    how would you target them at the gare? just drop a big bait over the side somewhere?

9. navmanfish

Huntcliffe has a few,potters hav3 had a few "strap" congers in Yankee pots.

Might try link wreck this summer.

10. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice thread we shore fish conger on west coast scotland using maccy head as minimium and just cast close in and leave on rachet had some to double figures use big old weights usually nut or bolt

11. merman

merman Blenny

12. merman

merman Blenny

yes they are deffo there, I saw a dead one washing around in the surf near the ravine, similar size as the one you photo'd. My mate lost one last summer just under the boat but it could have been a large ling - his line parted so we couldn't be sure, that was only a mile off opposite the ravine

13. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Brian, id be interested in a day Sat at Anchor with Msieur Cope, if you can muster enough bodies and a day late summer gimme a shout

• Like Like x 1
  14. andym

andym Rockling

Bri I've ditched the kayaking and do a bit of freediving for lobsters and spearfishing mainly at redcar often see small congers along the scars nothing big but deffo conger not common eels

15. navmanfish

Andy,

Have you been on the dimmi?

There's some clips on you tube of taking lobsters n spear fishing for small Pollock.

Shame about yakking demise, posts were very good relating to skate etc.

Perhaps you might be diving to hand feed the skate?

16. andym

andym Rockling

I've been close to the dimmi but not on it yet I've seen them vids of him spearfishing on it cheating with scuba gear though amazing what is lurking close in on our coast I've seen some BIG Bass

17. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Back in the late eighties the lad I fished with used to dive, he was diving inside the scars just in the basin when he came up like a bullet said he'd put his hand in a hole after a lobster and found a big conger instead. Not his day , I hit him with the boat as I went to pick him up !

• Like Like x 2
  18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great story ha ha

19. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

You're right about fishing for them Brian. I fish mainly down on the Kent coast as you know I think. 3 of us used to fish one particular place for large Bass and Conger. One of the guys was convinced about congers being there after talking with divers he knew. We blanked more than we caught but was well worth it when you won. We had Bass out to just over 14lb, quite a few into double figures, always on big baits, whole mackerel and flappers. One of the guys was convinced every bite was a conger bite BUT there was one night he did pull a good one out and that weighed 37lb, took the 3 of us to get it up, we were fishing off a sea wall into aboout 30ft of water. he lost another one that he got to the top of the water but after 30 minute fight trying to get it into the net, his rig parted and that one was definitely bigger than the 37lber. We've all gone our seperate ways now so that won't happen again. loads of blokes fish the same area but none target specifically conger so never had one. If you know they are there then well worth blanking but knowing you will hit it right one time.

20. scrubbs

I went out with Rich on " Mistress" yesterday, and talked about a trip out for conger and he is definitely up for it. forward planning would be the key to pick the best tides some time in July August. So if someone was to organise it with him mabe put a £10 deposit down. I would %90 probably be available.