1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are fish baits any good for shore cod fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Seven Pages and still going! :whistle:

3. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

personally.....im fairly lazy
    I have no intention of going out peelering at all hours of the day and night in summer as I would prefer to be enjoying the summer fishing opportunities, similarly though I would tend to relegate mackerel baits for anchored fishing off the yak for dogfish and ling etc and then only if I was feeling so lazy that I couldnt drag a few lug out of the beach.
    worm are an easy bait to aquire, and I find that I do ok with a blend of lug (fresh or frozen) cart and squid, in various combinations, I do on occasion use mussel too
    that said im still only facing my third season shore fishing, 1st year was a disaster as I only fished one venue and put little thought into the bait I was using....the result? 0 cod, 2 bass and a different attitude toward the next season
    last year I was introduced to a few different marks and shown how to fish them correctly, and what baits are appropriate, the result, managed to winkle 9 size cod out and various other undersize and other species
    dramatic improvement, although obviously I hope to do much better this year and pay better attention to things such as bait presentation, varying conditions etc
    its a massive learning curve and I think a lot of it sinks into your subconcious without you realising it

anyway so to sum up my opinions of mackerel/fish baits in relation to shore cod fishing.......I wouldnt chance it, not when perfectly acceptable baits are on sale or obtainable from the very beaches and areas you are going to fish

4. Baramundi Bob

With this year having the potential to be a good mop year, the bait I would most advise you to try is lugworm. Mops seem to really like frsh lug and you will be surprised at how early in the season it will work for you.

5. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Especially if your going to fish Whitby beach,and not gullies, blashers rule supreme down there but lots of them.
    Cheers
    les

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

It has been mentioned in this thread multiple times about using mackeral on a second rod.
    Given the fact that most serious cod fishing in the winter is done on bigs seas,other than cliff tops it's just not possible down below.

7. Baramundi Bob

Ssssshhhhhh Les, dont give the blashers secret away.

8. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

1 hundred million percent behind you there Glenn, the majority of bait advice ive been given has been fron Quint, he has instilled in me the importance of bait quality however i know from loads of disscussions with him that this information has been gained from the likes of Ramrod, etc...anglers who are at the top of there game when it comes to match fishing........i live 80 miles from the marks i fish and have a freezer with peeler, mussell, blacks and cart, throughout the winter months these will form the backbone of bait, the only anomaly being the addition of fresh lug/mussell, I would definatly NOT waste my time travelling 160 miles round trip and rely on any kind of fish baits, if i was you fella stick to the tried and tested.............

9. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Doh. :cry: :cry: :cry:

10. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It would be interesting to see the results of a shore match where fish bait was only allowed.
    I personally think that cod are opportunist feeders and would take any reasonable bait presented.
    What do other members think?

11. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Blashers - what next crystal balls :laugh: :laugh: this will run for a while :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I really envy anyone who has just come in to this game,it took me year's to get to the standard of fishing that you lads can reach in just a couple of season's,the reason ?total lack of knowledge i never had the luxury of clicking a few button's and gaining first class knowledge from some of the best fishermen on the east coast,i had to do it the hard way,spent a lot of good money wasting my time trying silly venues with even silly'er bait's,the only information coming from angling times and sea fishing book's..not untill i started speaking to the local lad's who i met did thing's really click into place,there's no way i would want to go back down that road,and that is exactly what i would be doing if i went back to the fishy-type bait's..mark's a prime example he's listened got on with it and had some great result's..all i can say is thank god for fishing forum's you just don't realise how lucky you are......mick

13. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

You may be missing the point ! 'blashers'... are small lugworms
    Les

14. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think your spot on mate, I dont think a cod would turn its nose up if it happened to be swimming past, but then again i think the more successful baits play a bigger part in attracting cod that may not be in the immediate area for example if a strip of mackerel/herring etc was in the path of the feeding cod then yeah but with the stronger scented more soluble baits (peeler,cart etc) theres more chance of it pulling in a cod that might be feeding a little way off with its scent trail.
    just my thoughts on the matter

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

You wouldn't get any entries in a rock match if it was just fish baits, because fisherman like to have a reasonable chance of catching, and the first box that needs ticking is good bait, those that think generations of rock anglers have somehow missed the idea that mackeral is a good bait are in the same mould as those that believe, despite the mass of evidence to the contrary, that Planet Earth is only 10,000 years old

16. Baramundi Bob

lol. some people just dont get; will never get it, yet time after time you get posts on this forum asking why some anglers are just so far ahead of the rest. Its not rocket science lads; the best anglers are the best because of all the hard work they put into their bait; Ask yourselves why groups of lads from this area travel to Edingburgh in the dead of night in the middle of winter to dig bait ?? Is it for the good of thier health ?? Its like all the anglers who post up where will I catch some fish a week next Friday. Somehow they got their internal wiring wrong: Fair enough if people want to be lazy, now and again you may get a little bit of luck; but 9 times out of 10 your gonna have a real crap angling experience. I feel for you a little bit as you will never encounter a real good nights fishing,

17. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i dont feel for the at all glenn, at the end of the day you get out what you put in,, most of these numpties hav'nt got thr first idea, and im (not) sorry for saying it a lot of people on this website just dont get it, its hard fooooooookin work.

im sick of people going on about peeler, why cant i catch , when i do get some, put 20 years of watching others, learning, how the fish feed, fish movement, when and where. not , i want it right now, peeler will do it for me, cos it f'c'k'i'n wont , and yes , stick a bloomin big lump of macky on your hook, and wait, cos the bigguns do like a lump of fish for dinner :yes: