1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are fish baits any good for shore cod fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Sep 10, 2010.

1. langy

langy Rockling

You will no doubt catch codlings on mackeral on beaches but you cast a fillet of mackeral out on the proper rock marks and your catch rate will soon come to nothing

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

OK then on a par with, but what's Frank going to use on his second rod, because he no longer wants to shell mussells, dig worms, or collect peelers as he states in his original post, the post I always refer to?

3. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

I can give you a few years then. I was born just round the corner from the five lamps in Bridge Rd, the house still stands today even though the rest of the area seems to have been redeveloped. I was brought up in Saltburn mind from the age of 10. We could only afford a herring and I don't remember macvkerel ever being as popular as it is now, trying to dig for worm at that age was beyond us to be honest. We used to follow behind the chap who dug for 'Gresty's' tackle shop in Saltburn trying to find any he had left behind! First rod was a cane butt with a greenheart tip, a bobby dazzler in them days...:)

I used to fish from a mates boat in Redcar, he tried using bacon rind, then pinched all my worms when it didn't work. Tight git! Twoz his boat so fairs fair I suppose.
    Must stop this rattling on, it's an age thing you know?
    Cheers

4. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Cast your mind's back to last year in the press it was reported that a cod had been caught down south,when gutted they found a mobile phone inside it, :surprise:..now you can think what you like, but there's noway i'm nipping into phone's 4 you,to stock up for the winter :no:anywayway what would you coctail it with...an ipod :cheesy:

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

i am sure there will be plenty of lads who do not have a chest freezer full of peeler / gulley lug , who do not live near the coast so that collecting
    your own bait is not practical and maybe arent very flush as well , so fishing a Second rod would give them an Option of using a fish bait without
    impinging on there other baits , its worth giving it a Decent go IMO ,as for not been able to catch cod from heavy ground on fish bait well i cant agree with that one :yes:

6. langy

langy Rockling

You would be lucky to catch 1 codling in 10 sessions on mackeral

7. rizla

rizla Blenny

have to agree with you langy. i never feel optimistic when i have only fish bait. you can't beat crab,rag,lug and mussel.

8. langy

langy Rockling

Thats it put a bit of time and effort in and you can get yourself some prime bait, not all this why don't you try mackeral :crazy: , your wasting your time when you know you will catch more fish with the mentioned baits above. There's no point telling Frank to use mackeral your wasting your time mate :yes:

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cant believe this has gone to 6 pages. Ill make a very quick point. 3 years ago Ramrod finished second overall in the penn sea league. Second only to a man who fished considerably more matches and not on our coast. In my Eyes Ray is one of the very best cod anglers to ever fish this area, if not the best. Right at the start of the topic, he offered some very sound advice, I would advise you take it, the bloke knows what hes talking about. If you struggle for good quality baits then cart has to be the next on your list. I dont say that because I sell it, I say it because its true. If you fish mackerel baits from now untill easter you will catch a fish or 2 but you will be left seriously in the wake of those using the more traditional baits.

10. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

I have thought of a really good way to sort this debate out once and for all :yes: I will Pm my butlers contact details to ( in no order at all ) Baramundi Bob, Langy, Jellyworm, watersplatter, Frank Avey, Ingoe 1, Quint the moleman, MJG69, Smokey, Ramrod and all the rest who can catch regularly whose names I have not mentioned - I will gladly accompany each of you on a shore fishing trip to your chosen locations when the conditions are perfect for each of those said locations then i will beat you with a stinking manky half frozen macky about the head many times, make lots of notes in my diary re weather tide swell etc and run away with all your cod cos i am struggling to catch any :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Its not just the bait that makes the difference but the knowledge of the location and if I have to resort to these tactics to gain said information then thats just the way it is.
    No matter which method any of us choose to employ and the success rates of said methods that are employed are irrelevant it is the taking part and community that forms from angling that matters. Healthy debate is simply a byproduct which makes this forum work so well.
    50 cod before xmas!!! I can dream! :wink:

11. Baramundi Bob

More than welcome to join me one night mate. so long as you have a decent headlight, decent studded waders, decent rod, reel, line and a firm understanding of using rotten bottom rigs. Couldnt stand taking someone who is likely to injure themslves and complain about getting snagged up all night.

12. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Cheers Glenn an offer like that would only be refused by a non fisherman :yes:

13. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Can I come as well Please Please Please Please Can I Can I :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I will bring some mackie

14. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

If you want to know where to find 4" whiting tomorrow pm me I found them tonight LOL and they only took crab & mussel the little sod's :laugh:

15. Baramundi Bob

We can arrange a time when Im home mate. no probs. After that Im starting a guiding business £100 a night :wink: :laugh:

16. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Alright Glenn you no that might not be a bad idea as there will be plenty that would pay that.

Have a nice Holiday Glenn catch you latter Chris

17. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Totally agree Glenn. Most anglers problems lie in thier own mentality.

The most productive fishing involves putting the time in collecting the bait, learning marks/tides/conditions, keeping a catch diary (how many do that?) and learning from it. Losing hundreds of leads every season because the ground you fish is very snaggy(although not always necessary), using a rod and reel suited to the ground you fish, actually going out fishing when the conditions are right for your chosen venue and being prepared to walk off the beaten track to get there. I call this catching!!

On the other hand you have people who go out because that is simply the day they have chosen, using (usually inferior) bait they could get on the day. They then go to a mark that is either close to the car; had a fabulous catch report the week before or a mark that they wont get snagged at. They often arrive at the wrong stage of the tide or on a tide not suitable for that venue. They then go on to either blank or fluke the odd few out and then say "Fished such and such and never caught nowt OR had a few small ones OR never mind theres always next time OR I'm sick of not catching nowt can someone show me where to fish? This I call fishing!!

I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that but...

Ask yourself are you someone who goes fishing or someone who catches?? Simple fact remains that 10% of anglers catch 90% of the fish, simply because because of their dedication. You only get out of this sport, what you put into it, but remember you're always gonna need a little lady luck.

I'm not saying this is always gonna guarantee you fish, I blank as I'm sure Glenn, Ray, Lobbers, Iain etc all do. But if you put that little bit extra into it, you're always gonna reap the rewards.

Sometimes its nice to just get out fishing for the hell of it, but put a little more thought into it and you'll enjoy it so much more.

Finally...Mackerel???

Whiting and flounder

18. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Fished Horden sunday must of been 50 rods up an quite a few well known match lads(the help the heroes was on) there were 6 off us fishing together and with a perfect sea on must have chucked every bait going(crabfresh/frozen cart blacks blow mussel squid razors rag and macky) all to no avail,1 dab and 2undersize whiting.Talking to lads coming off the beach only 1 size cod caught and 1 size whiting.Good day out but sometimes it would be easy to go for the daft morning on the gare etc an get the same result :laugh:

19. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

The match lads surprise me, very little ever caught from there on tides like that :no:

20. Baramundi Bob

Even amongst match and club anglers, there are those with little idea whatsoever, some will never learn and are destined to catch nothing.