1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are fish baits any good for shore cod fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ill do anything if the fee is right.

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :butt:

3. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ok it's a date but I get to keep the left over bait :yes:

4. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Just as a little add-on to this debate. I had a mate who fished saltburn pier over four winter seasons with nothing but macky strip, he's now moved away. He was too lazy to dig any worm and too tight to pay for anything, so he caught his macky in the summer, froze it down and then used it in the winter.
    He caught all the species over the winter, cod, bass, flatties, whiting (of course) and plenty of them.
    Not saying he outfished anyone else but he never seemed to suffer when the fish where there.

I used to get regular reports off him and I knew lads that fished with him, so knew the info was correct.
    Mind, they do say that women outfish the fella's sometimes because of the pheremones or some such thing they produce that get passed onto the bait and that attracts the fish. My mate was a bit of an old tart, so that might explain it!

5. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This thread has whetted my appetite, so I think that I will put out a sleeper rod baited with Macky strip , when I eventually get to hit the coast....perhaps in a cocktail with squid, whats the worst that could happen ?
    I think that it is more likely to work from the beach than on a rock mark though..... (dont ask me why :crazy: )

Roll on the first proper frosts and big seas.

Roger

6. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A few years ago I met an old gent from Grimsby who said that when you could fish the docks the best cod were caught using mackerel heads!!

I have also caught codling on the lincolnshire coast with mackerel strip.

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

When i was a schoolboy i used to only use herrings and i caught fish at Whitby and Saltburn.
    Then when i got money from working i started buying worms which most people were useing.
    I bet if herring were catching fish everytbody would be wanting a strip of herring of me.
    Look at fly fishing tell somebody your getting one on a montana and everybody ties one on even though you are fishing it diffrent to them.
    Thats the fun of fishing i get slaughtered of my mates for telling people what fly im useing.
    Crazy i say :happy:pB

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

If i was fishing the rocks for cod i would tend to stick with rock baits like crabs , mussels , cart maybe even abit of worm like rags you could even use limpits as i supose the cod will be onto them if they are being bust off the rocks ..... if i was fishing over the sand alot i would try to stick with sand baits like razors , worm , clams squid etc and maybe even abit of macky altho ide still take crab if i had it ......As we all know tho none of it is set in stone . Just try and think what the cod would be eating at specific venues....

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, the British record shore caught cod of 44.8lbs was caught using herring as bait.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

It wasnt me that got that record. But i used to get my herring from the fish wet shop near Saltburn Station.
    Seemed to remember catching Billet of the Pier.

11. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

You must be as old as me my mate. Brought back a memory there mentioning the long forgotten herring.

Did you ever salt the herring, I used to and sometimes it would glow in the dark with phospherous, a very bright green looking colour. We would get it on our hands as well as I remember, it was 50 year ago mind. So maybe that was why it worked. Glowing under water?

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Well Frank has quite a few baits to try:

Mackeral Heads
    Mackeral Strip
    Blueys
    Cuttlefish
    American Signal Crayfish Tails
    Morrison's Prawns
    Herrings

And if they fail he can salt them to make them glow

If any of these outfish the tried and tested baits peeler/cart/mussel/worm I'll run round every Boyes' floor stark naked

13. woody

woody New Member

" I'll run round every Boyes' floor stark naked " we will remember that lol !!!

14. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

LMARO..................

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Take it your asbo has be lifted iain from when u did it last time :laugh: :laugh:

16. lochbois

lochbois Guest

To Firefly, im 54 . i never salted the herrings just used them all on the day as far as i can remember.
    I used to call in my dads butchers shop in Stockton and he would give me some big lumps of bacon rinde to use as bait.
    I remember the crabs loved the bacon rinde.
    I used to buy worms at Thornaby near the five lamps also.
    All this was on the bus and the train.
    I used to get the train to Glasdale and fish the Yorkshire Esk.
    Caught plenty of parr ,saw some big salmon but never caught one.
    Would like to catch a salmon or a sea-trout of the Esk while i still can :happy:pB

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Quint the phrase ---- As well as was used it was never infered that it would outfish , this , that or the other , just something to try as well
    with a decent possibility of hooking into a better fish , on the second rod you would be using

18. Maxie

Maxie New Member

When i first got told fish was the cod bait up in scotland ive got to admit,i thought the lad who told me was talking crap.
    Then i went up one day and the fish would take squid and nothing else,and since then we always use big fish based cocktails.
    Makes you wonder why its so good up there but not in the ne coast,maybe theres not as much crab and shellfish on the marks and they looking for fish.
    fish baits are pretty bad for cod on the cumbria coast as well,crab and blacks is the way to go.

19. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Maybe it would be a good idea for a Fish Bait only match to see if you could catch fish from the beaches without haveing to use worm or crab.
    Im not a matchman all happens too fast for me :happy:

20. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Lets be honest, a few years ago you could catch cod on anything....I once saw in 1998 an Angler on the boat catch 3 codlings on Pork Pie....genuinly, but the cod were rank, nowdays it takes a bit of time and skill, and to be honest good quality bait, to consistently catch, I gaurantee, if that same man went out today with his pork pie, he would not have as good a chance of catching the fish as they are not there in mass as they were.