1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are fish baits any good for shore cod fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Sep 10, 2010.

1. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have been watching the reports from norway and they seem to hammer cod on fish baits like herring ,has anyone tried it here ,cannot see why they wouldnt eat it here and would be a lot easier to get hold of ,no more digging ,shelling mussels or spending a fortune going to the coast to find peelers,i live in leeds so no easy way for me.
    will give it a go this year ,sprats/ herring ,and will let the forum know how i get on .
    if you see a nutter cutting fish baits up on marine drive dont laugh it,ll be me
    frank.

2. barry

barry Blenny

Re: fish baits

Frank , your not alone , we also live inland , and after paying £1:40 for six frozen mussels in a bag , we now stick to squid and mackerel .

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

There isnt a fish out there that wouldnt eat fishbaits , wether its sandeels , herring , mackerel or sprats if more people fished a nice piece of
    any of those mentioned along with the usual worm , crab , mussel etc in a cocktail they would get a pleasent surprise , in Scotland mackerel
    is used alot in cocktails with very good results for cod in the winter , one thing for sure if you like fishing a second rod put a large piece of mackerel / herring / launce on and you will have a very good chance of getting into a very good sized cod as long as you fish the right areas :yes: I have had cod to 11 lb from the shore on macky fullet

4. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Don't bother even during the Spratt years it didn't work. lets think about it, if peelers and worms weren't the premier baits (trust me they are) we would all be at Morrisons et al buying all the herring mackeral etc for next to nowt save your petrol money and spend it on "proper bait"
    Cheers
    Les

5. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

What do use when you can't get peeler or worm :whatever:

6. Marco825

Marco825 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi , I'm from Leeds too and I was useing mackerel and squid and black lug last year at winter with good results,
    Marco

7. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I use cart or don;t bother :sad: :sad:

Cheers
    Les

8. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Although it must be said that worm and crab are the top baits on our coast it doesn't mean to say that fish baits(especially in a cocktail form)cant or wont get results.Take heed of what Alan said,that guy certainly knows his stuff as his record shows.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I remember a couple of years when bley was becomming more popular in the shops seeing an article in Sea Dangler of the great results for shore caught cod in Norway. I considered trying some for winter cod but have never had the confidence to risk missing out on fish. Having said that there have been plenty of blanks on crab, cart worm mussel.
    If this year is a good mop year with a backing of some nice sample fish maybe on some pleasure sessions I might have a dabble.
    I suppose one or two good fish would certainly sway opinions on using fish baits. Most of the fish over 4lb when gutted are stuffed with small fish mid winter.
    I know Alan has had some cracking results and knows his stuff so I m not writing the idea off, it's just having the time to try it with some conviction.

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Frank your going down the wrong route here mate, your talking about fish baits scoring in Norway not the Marine Drive where you intend to fish, there will be about 140 anglers fishing a match tomorrow no one will be using fish baits, what does that tell you? If your traveling all the way from Leeds investing time and money do you want to be sat fishing with inferior bait? Of course certain fish baits will catch at certain times but I really advise you to get some carts in and good quality frozen worm and mussell, there are plenty of on line bait suppliers and the shops in Scarboro will soon be getting worm in every week and will take orders

11. steph

steph Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

tried sprats ,no luck with them seen good cod take big mackeral baits

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I suppose if time is tight for you with your fishing as Iain says , then you want to make sure that you are giving yourself the best chance of a succesful trip and use the best baits for that area at that time.
    If you have more fishing time and can try a few experiments then why not.
    I ve had a few trips in search of the elusive Bempton conger after I got a fluke one last winter but there is no way I would consider an all out effort for one in a match as it would be unlikely to be a succesful option.

On pleasure sessions I ve had plenty of fish on the much laughed at oysters cocktailed with frozen blacks and razor but no way would I risk fishing a match with just that bait.

For the angler a long way inland Iain is giving out good advice re what baits to have in the freezer. :wink:

13. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I'm really tempted to experiment a bit more this winter, I mean macky's a decent bait tipper for the Whiting, but as far as Cod are concerned I might start putting a rod out with Spratt on. It'd take a lot of bollocks to run a season long experiment from the beaches but maybe that's what it'll take...

Cod almost always have Pipefish and Spratts etc in their bellies when caught on the Holderness. Maybe one rod of trusty worm/squid coctail and one of Spratt at same distance, same rig etc all season and then I'll know for sure.

It's just having the confidence to try something. We all go fishing because we want to catch, and it's often demoralising to put a bait in that doesn't feel like it'll catch so we all stick to the tried and tested baits we've had results on before.

14. smokey

smokey Rockling

A lot of people seem to think that fish baits are untried and untested,i guarentee you they have been used many times over the years by top anglers trying to get the edge and try something new,but the fact these self same anglers go back to tried and tested baits tells you all you need to know.
    It's a bit like when you are fishing a match with top quality hard earned bait and someone turns up next to you with re - re frozen mussel and worm and gets a couple with you blanking,it's very frustrating when it happens but it's definitely the exception rather than the rule,quality bait will shine through 99 times out of a 100.
    If you were fishing in a club winter series and seriously targeting the top spot at the end of the year,if you fish with spratt and herring you wouldn't come in the top 10 guarenteed..
    That said you would pick the odd fish up on spratts/herring,maybe a better sample too,but i reckon you would blank more often than not... tight lines

15. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Now then Frank, I live in Donny and have been lucky enough to get lots of good advice from some very good anglers, the issue of bait and its quality is always the main part, it is not luck why these anglers catch most fish its all down to knowledge and whats in there bait bucket. We are at a slight disadvantage living so far inland but thats no excuse for not having good frozen bait, I would say if youve got cart, mussell and lug in your freezer then you'l catch your fair share of fish. Cart is now widely available, the best mussells ive had are from Coso's in Scarborough and you can pick black lug up from anywhere, if you can get peelers as well then your totally sorted. Last year was the 1st year ive used peelers, it took me a few sessions for me to get the cocktail just right but by mid-season I was really happy with each bait that was used, size 6/0 hook, big peeler, 2 or 3 mussells with a cart on top, gunna add a black lug to this from November onwards this year.

So in a nutshell Frank, get yourself a good freezer and pack it with cart, mussell and black lug together with a few good flasks. You'll have no more wasted trips to the coast and can go when conditions are perfect because all your bait is in your freezer.................

16. god ov all cod

god ov all cod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i had a cod on a rocklin 6 lb 5 oz last year caught a rocklin then thought naf it chucked it back out still attached and 5 mins l8r resulted in a big cod so im going 2 use some this year

17. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

A lad up this way did exactly the same and landed a 14lber. Would I use them over, crab, blacks, yellows, whites etc? :no: :no: :no:

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

I had a 7lb er down hawsker about 5 years back that had blown a rockling up the snood,it happens very occasionally,but like sean says,would i use one over prime fresh bait :no: :no: tight lines

19. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just come back from a week on Orkney, went out on a local charter boat, fished just of the Old Man of Hoy, to cut a long story short, we took Squid, worm, Bluey with us, used them all, and after actually listening to the skipper, who after all should know his area, we switched to fresh mackerel which were feathered up there and then, and started catching Cod to about 11 lb or so, all on fresh mackerel fillets, they would not touch Squid, worm or bluey.
    Was speaking to a local angler who stated that even though they do have peeler , they hardly ever use it as all you need is mackerel, even from the shore / rock marks.
    Oh, we also caught Ling, Coalfish, Pollack, Gurnard, Spurdog, Pouting, Wrasse, Doggies, Dab,and Whiting, all on Fresh Mackerel.

Roger.

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

Well done on the catches roger,it's well known that fish baits like mackeral fish well up over the border and down south too.
    We use a fresh mackeral fillet in the boat when wrecking here too but only at slack water for a ling... tight lines