1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arbroath trip, report, Harry, Dale, and Tony

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Jul 19, 2010.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well got picked up and set off 5-30 am friday, weather was pretty bad and forecast worse , :sad: but we were booked in so made the best of it , arived at digs about 10-30 and unpacked, it was blowing quite gusty and strong and i knew it would be difficult to find a mark,
    anyway i went to Auchmithe, a good venue on its day but as i thought it was unfishable in those conditions,
    so off to find another mark so i decided on ethie haven a nice little sheltered place from the strong ssw wind, well it didnt look to bad so we set up and gave it a go, the tide had been flooding about an hour ,we tryed on the scars just in front of the cottages but nothing much to show apart from a small coalie and a pollymog for tony,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    as the tide made the surge got stronger so it was off to another mark,
    the five yard shot is a banker on most days , but when i saw the swell i knew it was impossible to fish ,so back towards ethie for the clifftop shot , it was still quite heavy in there but i dfecided it was worth a go, four hours into the flood now and after many lost tackle i had a decent bite,up the cliff came a nice fish around three and a half pound, being on the cliff it had to be depatched and was given to the landlady filleted , she was very gratefull for it :wink: (a bigger breaky for me )
    [​IMG]

we stayed on till the top of the tide but that was it just lost gear and very few bites,
    next day saw us get up to an even stronger wind i thought we would never find the fish inn these conditions, so it was on with the thinking cap as it turned out we had met Garry and the Gang on Arbroath pier on frida evening to wet a line with them
    [​IMG]

and they had been to Usan and had a few fish ,not many that day but he thought it may be worth a try,

off we went on saturday to give it a go, there was still a heavy swell comeing in but it was still fishable, so in we cast ,first fish was a small mop for Dale ,this was his first ever coddling from Arbroath i could not believe it ,he had been a couple of years earlier and drew a blank :surprise:
    [​IMG]
    next Tony got a small coalie follwed by a small mop,and again a pollymog , while yours truely drew a blank,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]oh and a small mop :laugh: :laugh: only small fish i know,but they kept our spirit up hopeing for better things, i have never known so many small fish come from Usan, the tide had turned and after a couple of hours of the flood absolutely nothing, in desperation for a fish or two i took them to gourden, a small working harbour, wth a reputation of big fish in rough conditions,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    again nothing there either, appart from excelent haddock and chips at the chippy at the base of the jetty,
    so for the top of the tide i took them to elephant rock,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    anyone seen an elephant around here :surprise:
    we fished this mark to the top of the tide and an hour back ,Dale had a bite and that was it , i was absolutely gutted and tryed to hide my dissapointment from the lads,
    i had promissed them fish ,but what with the terrible weather it seemed it wasnt to be ,in all my trips to Arbroath i have never had a blank ,and this day was my lowest yet :sad:
    a good night at witherspoons on saturday was brill, a good meal and a few beers , and a lot of pi*s takeing and ribbing was great we had a good laugh anyway, the craick was great all weekend,
    NOW the last day and i was determined to find the fish, when we got out the weather had eased greatly and now it looked promising :yes: so it was back to my first choice venue Auchmithee,
    the tide had just started to ebb and things looked good, first choice was to the left of the small jetty, i put Dale and Tony in one gully and i moved along fifty yards to the next gully,
    first cast Dale had a fish not big but it looked promising,
    [​IMG] about 2lb and a bit almost immediately Tony the coalie king had another littleun
    [​IMG]
    he is a laugh a minuet, never does he moan about the fishing, next up about fifteen mins later my turn ,and a lovely wrasse about three pound plus maybee more, could be bothered with the scales ,i wanted to get the fish back ,
    [​IMG]
    after a few more bits and pieces we got to the mark i was aiming for ,Ratchet rock to the right of the jetty, we were there to the bottom of the tide and an hour back and not a blooming cod, just another ugly pollymogfor Dale,[​IMG]
    back to the left on the scars and Tony got a nice little mop just over two pound followed by on for Dale [​IMG]
    at least they were getting the odd fish , but my pride had taken a knock for the worst, so i got my brain into gear again an siad come on were of to the five yard shot , my banker that was unfishable on friday afternoon , we were into our last four hours and was determined to gte the better fish ,
    back to Auchmithee, then a trek and we were there , ( well i was ) Dale in his excitement had gone to far ahead of me and went to another rock, well it should throw a fish up i thought so left him to it ,
    so i cast in my bait, i was just peeling the next crab when my ratchet screamed, i struck into a nic red cod of about fine pound or so,
    [​IMG]
    i had just cast in and was doing my next bait and another scream from my ratchet, this time it was another wrasse about four pound atb least,
    [​IMG]
    then Dale and Tony joined me (on the proper mark :whistle:) and we allfished together next another scream from my reel ,and another wrasse, a bit bigger this time,
    [​IMG]
    although it was good to get these fish it was cod we wanted, next up Dale had a ratchet scream and in came a cod about four pound
    [​IMG]
    then at last tony had a bite it looked a beauty after a tussle to get it out of the kelp it got snagged up and he couldnt budge it , in came his rig minus his lead and no fish ,next up another for me this proved to be the bst of the day about a good six pound,and deeply hooked, shame ,it had to be knocked on the head,
    [​IMG]
    we were desperate for bait now so when i guuted the fish inside was a lobbster, it was deveide up and we all cast out again this time another cod for Dale,
    [​IMG]
    then it went a bit quiet, when Dales rell came alive something picked up his bait and ran in his eagernes to get to his rod he nearly went for a swim, after a good battle in came a pb pollack for him seven pound,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so that was it after a very poor start due to the weather we triumphed in the end ,and my reputation allthough a little bruised is still intacket, so it was a happy trip back to the digs a beer and a good kip then home , i hope next years summer visit is a little kinder in the weather department, and my hair may not turn so grey as quickly , tight line all hope you enjoy the story of our struggle , Harry :cool:

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

a real shame about the weather Harry but you look like you made the most of it :yes: looks liek the 5 yard shot came up trumps again witha few fish and a cracking pollock. well done lads

3. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Shame about the weather Harry but at least you managed a few fish for your troubles. :happy: The change of scenery will have been nice too. The pics are great as well especially the black and white ones, very effective.

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Sorry lads got a wrong photo up here is my best i hope :embarrass:
    [​IMG]

5. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done lads.Nice pollock for our Dale.I'l be there nxt year Harry to show you how it's done lol

Russell

6. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report! Well done for not giving in and trying to the end! :yes:

7. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Cracking report harry really enjoyed it, Its nice to catch fish but its also nice escaping the north east of england!!!!!
    Great pics mate well done :yes:

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Once again the weather never played ball for you lads who travel around. You did manage to get among some fish all the same and had a laugh by the sounds of it. Cracking report Harry and top notch pics. Now, where is that bloody elephant! :laugh:

9. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, harry you are a legend but the story was supose to start with: in a country far far away :laugh:. even no the fishing was poor i had a great time, especially when you fell in the hole pushing the car out :laugh:. i cant wait till next year now it was a pleasure fishing with you, and toe (the rotton bottom)

10. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

First class report Harry, love them pics. Well done for sticking with it you got rewarded in the end. Magic.

11. Maxie

Maxie New Member

great report harry shame about the weather.

12. the rotton bottom

the rotton bottom Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well harry the cod hats off to u mate wot a guide. Top bloke but u missed a few things out on your report like u going head first in to a thistle and nettle bush :canadian: :yes: enjoyed the trip and dont forget to ask the question??any way a big thanks mate looking forward to our next adventure in a far far away country some time soon lol thanks tony ps that last pic that cod was mine but u wanted bragging rights lol (joking)

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

for all you people out there ,the rotten bottom is our friend Tony , and it doesn,t meen the rotten bottom rig :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great report and well done to you all, when i met you and seen the forcast i didnt hold much hope, but looks like you dug your heels in and made the most of it, i am really pleased for you all, and a big well done to snap off with a lovelly pollack you certainly deserved fish for your efforts... Top fishing lads.

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks for the replys Lads , when i saw the weather forecast i was gutted mainly for Dale and Tony, it was so bad the open golf was delayed on the saturday, and that is only 20 miles accross from where we were :wounded:

16. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

some good pics there lads well done

Mick.

17. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done lads sounds like it was hard work but the hard work payed off in the end

18. langy

langy Rockling

A cracker that one Harry, well done mate, shame about the weather :happy: did you forget anything :whistle:

Tight Lines..Langy

19. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Harry shame about the weather . When we we re told about elephant rock we were looking on the ground you can imagine the shock great pictures as always

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Brilliant report and pics harry , sory to hear about the weather but by the sounds of it you all made the most of it . well done to you all and thats a lovely pollock for dale...Well done . :yes: