1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone for Grilse.

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Dav, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some seatrout them peter . Did you catch them in the daytime too ?
    Did you ever take any pics of these big fish you had ? . i like the look of seatrout and salmon it would be nice to see a pic of one any size not just a 10lber .
    When i first started fly fishing oj rivers i went down the route of using them czech nymphs with indicators , very exciting way i of fishing pocket water with heavy leaded nymphs . dont do much now tho .
    cheers

2. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Ididnt have a picture Dave. I am a bit slow on all this computor stuff but i have just been given two mobile phones and i am learning .
    The ten pound fish was an embarresment because i only had a small net for grayling and the three pound line would not snap when you need it to.
    I caught it at Jocks Bridge which has a steady flow of cars.It was in daylight.
    I caught a good sea-trout the first time i tried them goldbead flies.
    It was a fly tied for grayling it had a SLF Fur Golden ginger body with a 4mm gold bead.
    The fly was tied on a shrimp hook and had a flou green tail.
    Funny thing was the expert in the pub on the Friday night said SLF fur was no substitute for seals fur and that the fly wouldnt catch fish.
    Next day Saturday i was on the river in bright sunshine 2pm the river had a bit of colour.
    Almost as soon as the fly had plopped into a nice looking glide i was into a 2 and a half pound fresh sea-trout. Didnt impress the expert but a fellow from Bishop -Auckland said it caught him some good salmon and sea-trout.Some big fish on the Wear
    and BAAC is the best club on the river. :wink: :happy:pB

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The two fish i got were both in streamy water. But when i saw my mates first grilse i had to laugh because he caught it on a quite bend taken on a GH-Sedge Dry fly in November on his first attempt on a river.
    Brian Thompson couldnt believe our luck.
    Wish i never saw Brian because he said my biggest fish was tartan coloured and now i am barred of two forums for telling the truth. :laugh:
    Its all History now though will never meet them fish again,but hopefully i will meet the lying person :angry: :pray:

4. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is this argument still going on, it must be Two years old now, and it nearly got a forum closed down if i'm not mistaken.

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

NO . And it was never an argument.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Marakesh hahaha funny that coz thats what i call me mate ....marra kesh . kesh when were mortaled ... :laugh:
    Im very intrested in this tartan thingy you mention every now and again peter ?
    did you catch a salmon that was tartan coloured as the saying goes and you kept it to others dismay ?
    or was it simply because you said a salmon you caught was tartan coloured ?
    either wasy seems abit extreme to be such a big fuss...

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Hi Teesdale- I have spent said two years editing Lochbois posts of any mention - however I am only human and have to sleep.
    Please PM me details of who you are if you want to discuss it further- and that goes for Lochbois too.

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Dave my mate- I will happilly PM details. Best left off here for the well being of the forum.

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

To Everyone reading this i have called salmon and sea-trout as fish that are wearing their tartan waistcoat because their colours are red yellow gold just like the leaves of autumn.
    I caught a sea-trout of the till in november and it was described to me as wearing its tartan waistcoat.Nobody used mobile phones when i caught the fish thats how long ago it was. :laugh:End of Story.

p.s Has anybody caught any grilse of the Yorkshire Esk latelly? .What are the chances of me catching a sea-trout or a grilse at Glasedale must be40 years since i last fished there.
    U.D.N was killing all the fish when i was last there. :wink: :happy:pB

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have always said i would return to the Esk .
    Enquired for season tickets but always ended up fishing BAAC and the reservoirs.
    People say i have a good memory thats probably why i would want to give it a try.
    Whitby piers a place i love to fish ,just wish they would allow me to fish in the Kelp on the Abbey side thats where i caught my biggest Cod . That will have been in the 80s.
    The was a hell of a lot of big salmon layed dead something i hope never returns again.

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can remember finding a big seatrout flapping on its side at lealholme with fungus all over its nose . thought it was quite sad....
    But i can also remember years ago coming back from whitby with me dad mam and our aunty jean from canada , we stopped at lealholme and the sight of hundreds of salmon and seatrout jumping when the river was in flood was unbeleivable , i must of been around 9 years old....I cant remeber exactly what year that was but im sure one day it will happen again ...

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

I think thats exactly what its down to , low water , warm water stuffed with fish taking up all the oxygen makes the fish more prone to infection from udn and other infections , huread it somewere Salmo the leaper and rovers of the river are excellent programs to watch , highly recomended even tho they are very old skool .
    If anyone has read seatrout fishing by hugh falkus there is quite abit from that book onthe videolike when the seatrout are filmed powering over a ford in daylight low water and and other little imaginary fishing locations and sessions ..Both highly reccomended .
    I actually have them both on dvd somewere if any one o=wants to borrow Ill need them back tho ...

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

You could well be right about the junction being on our coast , after you telling me that skiunkhead ,i seen it on his video he makes reference to somewere on the north east coast being a gathering point for migrating salmon destined for all rivers on the uk coast including tweed and other scottish rivers ..etc .

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Salmo The Leaper is a cracking bit of film
    A real picture of days gone by and a lifestyle that is sadly lost to most of us.
    Micheal Horden looks absolutely hammered on it though- bet his hip flask was the size of a barrel :laugh:

15. lochbois

lochbois Guest

You mean when everyone had green waders and wax jackets and a deerstalker.
    Ive still got the Trout and salmon mags from 1982 . Where have all the big wooden devon minnows gone and thick mono that the fish can see these days and cant be caught.
    Its called Maxima and i am still catching fish on it when i get out. Just find it harder to thread with one eye and starting to go blind in me good one :laugh:

16. bucko

bucko New Member

I was referring more to an age of innocence.

And some of us still have green waders and a waxed cotton (theres nothing better for laying over a barbed wire fence to get over it safely).

17. bucko

bucko New Member

Get in there!
    The wife made a hint that she would like to stay at The Red Lion in Wooler for our wedding anniversary in October.
    So- I have already said that it would be rude for me not to have a day on Till.

I love it when a plan comes together!! :yes:

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

While your'e ther Ian, pop in and talk to the proprietor of the Black Bull about salmon fishing. I fished with him in the 90's when i got my first 20lber on the Teviot, and he's the most succsessful salmon angler i know. He's had to to 44lbs from the Teviot. His other favourite river is the Till.