1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone for Grilse.

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Dav, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Well several days ago i was invited to fish the river till for the grilse run by my mentor paul h whom got me seriously into seatroutting some umpteen years ago , The river till is a tributary of the mighty scottish tweed but unlike the tweed the till runs from england .but does follow scottish rules .
    Well anyway i jumped at the chance as the rivers had had quite abit of rain of late and the till had peaked at 8ft apparantly and yesterday it was down to roughly 3ft so this morning on our way our hopes were high ,
    we arrived early doors and immediatly made our way down to the river which sits in a steep valley , paul had fished the river quite abit and done alright by all acounts , it was my first time so didnt know what to expect , i nealry cum in me pants when i seen this , just a idea as to what its like ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beat was around 2km long and was being fished by 4 rods 2 of which were pauls mates, one of the lads had just taken up salmon/seatrout fishing so was sort of brand new to the game .
    We split up and slowly began to work our way through all the likely looking pools and tails . paul was the first into fish with a seatrout of around 21/2lb ish and then lost another which was quite abit bigger . no pics , i had a few takes though the day but couldnt quite get them to stick .
    we then met up for dinner and took stock , after dinner we set off again . this time i stuck close to paul , by fishing the tail of a pool he was fishing the middle section of , closely observing him. :cheesy: as yer do . :whistle:. out of sight i heard him shouting me , , i ran around the bend to see a nice bend in his rod

[​IMG]

I slipped my net under a nice fresh 10lb6oz bar of scottish silver. which was certainly no grilse. buzzin. . i then made my way to the head of the same pool, 2 minutes later i heard paul shouting my name again . bloody hell am i hearing things ...again he was into another fish this time a better one . getting used to being a ghillie i slipped the net perfectly under a lovely 11lber ....fk me i thought whats going on here . :embarrass: :cheesy:, truely awsome . we then decided to rest the pool . at that the new comer to seatroutting forget his name came around the bend with a nice seatrout of around 2lb and a big smile . he was over the moon as i would of been . no pics . by now it was teatime and pauls mates buggered off , me and paul slowly worked our way back up towards were we started , paul really fancied fishing the tail of a pool we did fish earlier but with the cloud cover over us and the sun going behind the trees he urged me to hit it as he was well happy with his rewards hed already caught ,
    First cast i flicked out across the tail of the pool and slowly let it swing around , bang a fish hit me hard showed itself and was off . :ugly:. not to be put off i flicked straight back out and again same spot bang its mate was on , a good hook hold i knew it was mine , after an epic battle [aul slipped the net under our quarry , a fresh as a daisy scottish grilse of 31/2lb ....My first scobritish grilse and first salmon that was worthy of taking home for tea...
    check the paddle out ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very enjoyable day in the most beautiful surroundings with great company ....
    Just thought ide share my story

2. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Superb Dav, thats what dreams are made off. Very well done and thanks for sharing.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

Fantastic Dav. I love the Till but havnt been up there for years.

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great to hear you had your strings pulled.

The pool in the second photo looks so fishy - I'd be expecting a take at any moment down that run!

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Dav you are on fire this year mate :yes:

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Its certainly lovely water on the Till Dav- I have fished Redscar, Lower Tindal and Upper Tindal on there. Great water.
    Well done on your grilse- that catch return book will be starting to fill up now!

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Well done dave. i fished the till twice . First time i caught fish then the next it was very high and we blanked that was in november when the Wear had shut :happy:pB

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Funnily enough i also fancied that pool in the second pic but it just didnt seem to produce , i had my fish in the tail of the pool directly above it tho . looking at the boils and turbulence in the pool reminds me of a pic in an old fishing book i have it shows an owld bloke with a pipe and a tweed suit landing a fish with a gaff , crude things them like ,even when used just to land a hooked fish ...certainly right to have banned them imo.
    I will defo be returning to the till , just hope it has water in again when i do fish it ....

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We went up the Till in November because they have an extra month. Our season in England finishes in the end of october.They get plenty of water.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah the lad i went with generally goes up in november pete , he does ok with the fly for salmon too ....

11. bucko

bucko New Member

There are some very impressive grayling on Till as well Dav.
    And some big river pike too I am told.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

I had a worm on there and i was asking if there is much coarse fish in the river when all of a sudden he had a perch out . ..its a lovely spot like ian , it only took us 11/2hres to get up there too ...i was quite supreised

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Which beat was it Dav? I used to access to Felton beat with Felling, and fished Redscar a few times, but they didnt look as nice as the beat you fished.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Redscar reminds me of Danby a bit.
    Open, exposed and not the place to get caught in a February blizzard!

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Seconded Ian. Is it the Tiptoe beat that supposed to be a cracker, or Ford and Etal?

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Tiptoe Farm is supposed to be excellent fishing (they do some great spuds at the farm too).

Lower Tindal was my favourite out of the three beats Ford & Etal have- grilse all over the place and loads of real nice fly water.
    Many rate Upper Tindal but I have only fished it the once in levels that were a touch too high.
    Brian Thompson is a great keeper though- won't lie to you about levels and wouldn't dream of taking your money if its not worth fishing.
    I'm considering treating myself to a day or two in November - depending on the weather.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah the impessions i got from paul was that brian was very helpful and like you say keeps you informed of levels and cancells if the water gets to big .
    It was the lower tindal davo , I couldnt beleive the water 4 people have to choose from ,maybe a mile or there abouts . everythings thrown in too , he said redscar was more canalified and apparantly good for thr fly .
    Did yer see that pratt john wilson at teatime on sky catching seatrout with a quiver tip and maggots somewere in christchurch ? he was banging them out , the laffa larry hahahaha .

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cheers Dav

19. bucko

bucko New Member

The pool in the second photo:
    Below it, just where the fast water starts theres a little bit of slack water on the far bank with a very slight back current going through it- had some good takes to fly from that little pocket.
    My mate and I are booking some early November fishing on Till in the morning.

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

When we fished the Till it was years ago now we bought the ticket in Ford at the Post office.
    My friend had never fished a river before with a fly rod but he caught a Grilse that was about 7 pound.
    I caught a 6 pound sea-trout and a smaller one of three pounds.
    Them two fish were the fish that took my Peter Ross after being adviced by a regular angler who lived in Ford he told me.
    We met Brian Thompson the Keeper who told me that my largest fish had been in te river a while because it was wearing its Tartan Waistcoat a scotish way i learnt of describeing autumn fish.
    I will never forget the saying Sporting its Tartan Waistcoat simply because saying the same two words has got me barred of two migratory fishing forums because two people called me a fish killer.
    I stick to this area now because of riseing fuel costs and fish for the Grayling on the Wear in November where fishing the czech-nymph i have caught 10 pound and six pound sea-trout on three pound line and my five rated rod.www.czechnymph.com has a lot of advice on this method.