1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody tried salted blowlug, (no, it's not a new walkers crisp flavour) :-)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by neelix, Sep 19, 2008.

1. neelix

neelix New Member

Hi all :)

As I live 80 or so miles from the sea, getting bait can be a problem :-(
    I saw this article on how to salt blowlug down and it saves quite easily, thought about giving it a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.......

http://codheadbob.tripod.com/topmarks/id36.html

Anybody tried it before?

Steve

2. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Good post Steve. Bait is a constant headache for me as I only make my mind up to go out in the boat the day before. It is then a case of running around trying to find bait usually the afternoon before the trip. Anything I can keep ready is a bonus so this would come in handy for me if it works.

wildcard

3. Jem

Jem Blenny

yes it does work, and i've had fish on them but i always like to have fresh bait, either lug/squid ect,to use with them but they also work on heir own as i have had fish using only them as the crabs take longer to get them off the hook as they are tougher, if done right the salted lug does actually re swell giving the appearance of normal lug

4. neelix

neelix New Member

How much are 20 fresh blowlug from tackle shops, I can get them online £2.80 for 20, £14 per 100?

I know theres delivery at £15, but I would be ordering about 500

Steve

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

There is no real substitue for quality bait Neelix.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Not tried salted blow lug......always used to ditch my left over lug as everything i read said "You can't freeze blow lug."
    However last season midway through I had a few packs of real quality worms left over after a match and didn t have another fishing trip planned for over a week.So I decided to have a go at freezing some blow lug cocktails.

I used the silicone ice stick trays as pictured below.

Laid a few blow lug in the bottom of each section ,then half a razor sliced lengthways,then some mussels over the top.popped them in the freezer on fast freeze.
    When frozen the sticks pop out the trays as the trays are like soft rubber.Then cut each stick into 3... giving 3 baits of about 3 inches in length by about an inch thick x 1/2 an inch per bait
    Pop a load into the bait flask that has also been in the freezer and they stay frozen all session just taking one out at a time.
    I then well whip them onto a pennel rig an away you go .
    [​IMG]

This fish plus 6 others to me and plenty more to a mate in a session with heavy sea and coloured water after xmas.Will be stocking the freezer with plenty for this coming late season as complete confidence.Had a load of fish from RHB on same bait in heavy sea.
    [​IMG]
    At least this way blow lug not used on the day are still put to very effective use.

Cheers Jellyworm.

7. neelix

neelix New Member

I think that's an understatement :laugh: :laugh:

Cracking fish m8 :yes:

Steve

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No miracle bait just one to consider when presented with the right conditions....found late on in the winter with heavy seas............ :yes:

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

id rather have fresh lugworm, but ive caught plenty of cod on salted lug, and ive seen a few doubles fall to it, its certainley a good second best, gulley lug lightly salted and dried can fish very well, you certainley dont want to be put off by it

10. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

I caught plenty on salted blow a few years ago. Obv not as good as fresh but to bulk up baits the fish didnt seem to mind. Definately worth having a few boxes of them in the fridge. Just make sure you dont salt them down too far otherwise they become like cardboard and way too dry.