1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any1 been out ferreting

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by mad mick, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

got myself a hob today. fair to say that my jill has had a canny day ha ha

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk

2. mad mick

the dog has found the hob or should that be the hob found the dog.

had a nice vist from sage, as we were chatting over a coffee in the back garden i let the dogs out. after afew min the dogs tounge was in the jaws of the hob.
    dogs ok like ha ha

3. mad mick

hob has 2 ticks on the back of his ear. whats the best/bravest way to get rid of them?
    cheers

4. mad mick

[​IMG][​IMG]

can you see the rabbits looking at me lol

5. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

nice pics mick.... also just a general thing with ticks....... use tweezers and make sure you remove as close to the skin as possible and make sure you pull the whole tick out.......then dab with a suitable antiseptic.....

dont be tempted to cover tick with vaseline to suffocate it....although it works sometimes they regurgitate their guts into the host sometimes causing infection....
    check the dogs for them as they are rife o sheep pastures at the moment....

cheers
    Sage

6. mad mick

well i tryed abit of back netting the other night. never got nowt but christ the amount of rabbits about is unreal. thinking maybe send the ferret down 1 set just for afew bunnies for food. ( one for tinfoil in the hotbox for few hours) i havent seen any small rabbits like just them mid size bunnies.

if i took the gun tbe other night i would have getting 20easy n 30 at a push. but whats the point in making the ferreting hard in the next few month.

i took the little fella with me and he was even chasing the rabbits on the lamp when we were getting 10yards off them. so funny watching 2patterdales and a 7year old running after rabbits.

its getting cold up in cumbria these last few mornings. think next week be the start for me doing the small sets for afew weeks then start on the big boys sets.

bamboo on the 37meter long net. cannot wait to get started like.

mick

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

got 26 on saturday morning, got a couple of photos ill put them up later on

8. mad mick

nice one. many digs or not?

can you see the rabbits on the hill?

Attached Files:

9. mad mick

nice one. many digs or not?

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

one dig and it bolted half way through, missed a couple coming out 2 at a time good days ferreting

11. SAGE

nice one gadget....i havent even started yet... must get out and try a few small sets with the nets.. just to get me eye in....and mick i will get up at some point.... probably come up a saturday ...then take pick the caravan up from keswick and take it home for the winter....

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

got 20 odd up leyburn today, was expectiion over 50 but mixy has tortured it by looks of it

13. SAGE

myxy been prominent on a lot of ground this summer........ wiped a couple of my spots out virtually....on a66
    had a walk along local old railway line before dinner with my son and his ferrets, tried his young jills first no success but dog still marking so put his old hob down...bang within a minute a nice plump rabbit in the net......
    back in the house in under an hour......... wish it could be that easy all the time haha.....

will have to get out together at some stage gadgetover the forthcoming season....

cheers
    Paul

14. mad mick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

me n my little lad went out 3weeks today i think or 2weeks not sure. been meaning to post but keep getting side tracked with work.

after our sunday dinner we had a look out for hour or so. as we walked to the sets rabbits were running everywhere. 2 went into a 1holer which i slipped the net over n jill in. within moments bang one rabbit out n renetted. the noise was unreal for a while but jill came out so thought i better leave the bunny as it must have been giving her the run about.

20yards away a few rabbits went to ground. the noise of the rabbits running about was loud but this was agood size set bit to big for the jill on the 1st outing. 1rabbit bolted but got out the net before the numpty ferreter got to it. i put it down to my sunday roast.

then the rabbit i never bolted from the 1holer came out looked at us ran up the bank sat for a few seconds then rubbed its head n ear with its back leg n jumped in the bush.

as i was saying to my lad 1 is good enough for me n he was saying but dad there is rabbits over there. pointing to another set.i seen the owner of abit land next to were i was n went n seem him n ended up with more land to work the ferrets n when rats come in the dogs.

4 rabbits were sat next to a set on the way to the road so when they went to ground i give them 10min the put the jill in. once again the noise was class. bang one hit the net but i was fooking about n it kicked out the net. the next 3 were not that lucky n never lived another day n all that crack.

well 4 in the bag n 2 missed n more local land it hit. wasnt a bad afternoon on the ferrets.

came home and sorted rabbits. i kept a skin n made a tanned rabbit fur. looks great now just not sure what to do with it like.

any ideas?

mick

15. mad mick

sorry forgot to say the rabbit was cooked in tin foil with garlic n black pepper over 4-5 hours in my hot box just sat on top of the tarmac. . . . .

lovely i tell u.

mck

16. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

yea deffo mate

17. SAGE

nice one mick, great when you have land like yours on the door step..... pleased the bairn is loving as well... me n lee will get up at some point... i promice
    cheers
    Paul

18. mad mick

ha ha u said that last year mate lol

19. mad mick

me n keaton out in the morning. going for a bag full.

mick

20. mad mick

how do lads. happy new year to you all.
    anybody been out over the xmas time?

all i seem to do is shot n work the ferrets.
    i got some good permission this afternoon so looking forward to having a crack at them bunnys in the coming weeks.

sage should have alook up one sunday morning.

mick