1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any tips for safley reboarding kayak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by fudge, Jul 27, 2008.

1. fudge

fudge New Member

Hi- everyone,I took my kayak out today, but couldn't do any fishing because of the fog so I decided to practice getting back on from in the water. unfortunately I couldn't do it, luckily I had the forsight to to try this whilst accompanied by my nephew in his boat, so he was able to help me out and tow the kayak back to shore, as the kayak [a Big game Prowler] was full of water, I would have been in trouble had it not have been a practice run and having my nephew on hand.I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give on me on the safest and easiest way of getting safely back on board the kayak and also any handy tips on making the hatch a bit less vulnerable to flooding.
    cheers Fudge

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi fudge...having tipped my P13 prowler loads to practice getting on and off,the yak never took on more than at most an egg cup full and it really has spent a lot of time upside down.Others on here with Ocean Kayaks prowlers also tip and right theirs easily....if it is taking on water so quickly through the hatch I would be looking at speaking to the retailer as it shouldn't.
    Was the hatch tightly fastened down ? I t needs to be.
    The easiest way to right the kayak is when alongside reach under for the opposite handle andle flip it over.

If yours is leaking upside down there is a fair chance it will take water on as surf or swells wash over the hatch, which is quite common in a bit of sea.

You could try vaseline around the hatch seal but for so much to get in that it stops you righting the yak,something is very wrong !

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers Jellyworm.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hiya Fudge, as our Worm says it shouldn't take on water like that so you have an issue there that needs sorting.

As for self rescue, normally if you get tipped off your yak it will normally stay correct way up, unless you in really big surf. If your yak ends up bum side up the 'official' way to right it would be to launch/stretch yourself as far over the upturned hull as you can and haul it over using your weight. As for getting back on there are a couple of approaches, from the stern and from the side. Best thing to do is take your yak out into a few feet of water and a few yards from the beach and have a mess, have a bit fun and see what you can do, there is a certain amount of both method and fitness required. Of course in real conditions and in a messy sea that has just tipped you off , and a yak full of gear it makes everything so, so much more difficult

Ken

4. Volusian

Volusian New Member

bloody good job your nephew was there ... thats one of the reasons i believe kayakers shouldnt paddle alone ...

As mentioned make sure your hatch straps are very tight and secure. The centre hatch is closed off anyway so its not that one. Its just the front hatch which while paddling cannot be easily reached anyway so when launching strap this one down very tight for the duration of the paddle. Another thing to check is that ALL the Rod holders are actaully capped off internally especially if you have fitted extra ones. So look down each rod holder in turn to check this. Also if you have fitted the centre square hatch on the Big game this also should be sealed well with mastic when fitted.

I have seen Big games messed about with in the surf and also while their owners have practiced re-entry etc for long periods and they only had a couple of cup fulls of water inside ...

Another interesting anomoly of sit on kayaks mentioned to my last year by a large UK based kayak importer is that under certain conditions especially going from quite warm water to very cold water for instance the sudden change in Hull temperature can actually cause a partial vacuum inside the kayak which if swamped with water can actually suck water inside ... something to remember if in fact this is the case .. :scared:

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The big game is quite a large and heavy yak but still should be able to be righted without too much problem by either reaching under, or over, the yak to grab the handle on the opposite side. Try to posistion yourself so the prevailing wind/sea is aiding you when turning it, for instance if the wind is in your face leanover the top and pull the yak towards you, if its behind you reach under and turn it away from you or swing the yak around to suit. If you are still struggling get right over the yak and try to use your body weight, again using the wind/sea to your best advantage.

6. fudge

fudge New Member

Hello everyone
    just want to thank-you all for you're tips and advice, I think my problem was a 5mm gap on the front hatch, a small piece of cord had some how got trapped in the rubber seal.it also didn't help that my dry suit neck split during all this and that caused me to struggle to get the yak upright,I have decided to get some proper tuition from the guy who owns wetnwild sports shop don't want to leave anything to chance,hope to see you all at flamborough or scarborough festival
    cheers everyone Mike

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Fudge are you in Hull, if you are or nearby I ll gladly meet up and show you the techniques I use and how I practice,can even take the yaks on the river Hull for some practice if you want or maybe hornsea etc where it is shallow and without strong tides.
    The offer here for you if you want.

Cheers Jellyworm.

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

That'll be Rod at W&W, a great guy n he knows his stuff, but as our Worm says we all dont mind, in fact there are a couple of guys on here who need to get wet for the first time and practice a bit of self rescue - you know who you are :cheesy: :whistle: :wink: . We should have an afternoon in the sun and surf without the fishing kit :happy:

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nearly got my first dunking tonight. Fortunately I FOUND A CALM PLACE TO GET Onto the beach otherwise it could have got tricky. A practice is required

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

yer Glenn it can be quite scary with all the fishing kit on but dump it all on the beach and go back in and have a play in the surf - soon turns into fun :cheesy:

11. newdave

newdave Guest

there was a good video on here showing a demonstration of re boarding, anyone know were it is ?

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

We should have an afternoon in the sun and surf without the fishing kit :happy:
    [/quote]

:surprise: impossible Ken, if I'm going on the water it's to fish

13. newdave

newdave Guest

found it, if you get bored you can always try the headstand
    http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/

Oh & by the way ken, it was quint that was going to jump over & get back in with all his gear a mile of RHB the other week, i respectfully suggested it was not the ideal location for a drill :surprise: :laugh:

14. fudge

fudge New Member

FOR SALEPADDLE JACKET & DIAWA SEALINE REEL

FOR SALE- PALM SWITCH XP 100Whitewater paddle jacket, black and light sage, size large never been worn, £60.00. Also DIAWA SEALINE 900 REEL,imaculate condition £30.00.contact Mike 01482562192/ mobile 07855816727

15. newdave

newdave Guest

[​IMG]
    had a session in the north bay tonight, trying to teach Marion :no:,don't think i am that good a teacher but it was quite a nice evening playing in the surf.

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

after todays temperatures i bet it was great to cool off in the water :happy:

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:suspious: are you getting in some sneaky practice around the drive dave in anticipation of the coming match :suspious: how many yaks do you want :laugh: (not to mention names) :cheesy:

18. newdave

newdave Guest

no fishing gear Ray, although it was actually not a bad evening & the water was much clearer than i expected even on the beach, only downside to the Marlin is it is very narrow & much more difficult to re board than the prowler, I could manage it by making sure i got myself well over the other side first pull, but Marion needs more practice, she did manage it eventually but was knackered. might have to get her a pfd with a bit less padding at the front as well as that was hanging up.

19. ajohnson

ajohnson New Member

try,kayak fishing north wales,vidio on reboarding

20. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

best way to reboard a yak is to drill two big holes iether end, add two long chains iether end, attach chains to a nice metal frame and give the kids something to swing on. lovq