1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any fish at Balcary???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jan 11, 2014.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Just wondered if anyone takes time out to fish Balcary these days. I know the fishing is no were near as good as it was in the 70's and 80's but cant help dreaming that a couple of super spaggs could still turn up, somehow got there heads down and missed getting scooped up by the commercials..

The tales of massive fish and some huge bags of cod, with individual fish of upto 40lb and bags in excess of 200lb had me drooling from the mouth as a youngster. Just pray that these marks could somehow come back from the dead and deliver the goods once more..

The North East boys use to do very well over there with the likes of Ken Robinson and Chris Stringer and many others. Imagine having a pint or two with these lads and listening to the stories, would have you running home from the pub and grabbing the fishing rods for certain..

Anyone fished it or heard of any fish from Balcary or Colvend this winter??

Here is a few pictures I found of Ken with a few of the Balcary fish. Think the first picture is of the 40lber... Oh happy days..

Attached Files:

2. glassback

glassback Blenny

i,m same as you gary i used to see the pics and read the stories of big fish
    always wanted to go fish it ,never did .
    i no a few lads who used to go every year ,it was always well fished
    best they had was a few 10 pounders .a few lost fish
    but they did say it was hard to fish with loads of tide and snags close in

it may be easier to fish with the gear we use these days though
    i supose it will chuck a big fish out some day again
    if you were to give it plenty of fishing time

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Jesus look at the guts on them big girls,what did they feed on in there as it looks like they are all stuffed to bursting point.

Like Andy says it would maybe throw out a biggie if you put plenty of hours in but can't help thinking them old days will never return.

4. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I'm Afraid those days are long gone, I keep an eye on the WSF Scotland website and the boys that fish there now are happy if they get a couple of fish in the 5/6lb range. Used to get the big cod in the boats from the Isle of Whithorn until the 80's when they were wiped out.
    Fishing the same grounds now we're lucky if we have a couple a season worth keeping.
    Don't think it's worth the time, energy and money to fish Balcary any more. You'd probably have better results on the NE marks these days.