1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice on fishing Saltwick ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BeeceUK, Aug 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there,

Just had a nice afternoon out in Whitby, with a walk around the town and a bite of lunch. Decided to go take a look at Saltwick as its somewhere Ive never fished or even been before.

Parked up at the caravan site up on the cliffs and had a mooch around, saw a nice little grassy headland with a wreck directly infront of it which looks out onto what Im positive is Sister Rock from the photos on the marks page on this site, walked along the cliffs to try and find a get down but couldnt seem to find one.

Can you get down to this ledge from the cliff tops or do you have to walk down the steps onto the beach along to sister rock and then climb back up??

Didnt go down onto the beach so I couldnt really tell how high up this grassy ledge was looked about 15-20ft from the top of the cliffs but it can be decieving from above.

Seemed to be plenty of nice gullies and scars along there but also looks like it could be quite easy to get accidently cut off too.

Anyone got any words of advice or caution on fishing down there??

I suppose its gonna be the case of going down at high water and fish the ebb following the tide round as to avoid getting cut off.

cheers

Ben

2. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That is the three sisters mate you can get down directly behind the wreck,theres a rope towards the south end of alum works,its not to bad to get down.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dont overlook low tide. Weve had more bass over low than high from this area.

4. BeeceUK

So theres a get down from the farmers fields onto the ledge?? I walked futher past the wreck up on the top on the fields and couldnt see anywhere to get down, did notice a part of the barbed wire fence that seems like it had been streched as if someone had been climbing through but the other side of the fence didnt seem to have any sign of a path , infact it was all waist height nettles.

Low tide looked good too Glenn, out past the sister rock where tide was breaking again it seemed like there was a slight ledge or lip on the beach that the sea was breaking on, again this was all from the fields at the top, the reality down on the beach is probably different. I must make a point of getting down onto the actual beach and having a proper recce.

cheers lads

Ben

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If you walk over the sty south towards the headland its in the corner.If you walk to the headland and look back in to the alum works its about 50yrds.You probably wont see a path to the rope because its not used that often.

6. BeeceUK

Ahh ok,

Thanks mate, Ill have to have a closer look, will probably be next weekend now, damn work getting in the way of important stuff !!

7. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Get yourself down on to the beach and have a mooch about Ben - it looks really "bassy" down there at low water. I've only fished it in winter - and never caught there anyway :whistle: but the thought of all those holidaymakers during the summer puts me off :embarrass:
    The path down is steep, but not as steep as Kettleness.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!